[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>E-reader-owners of Lit, how do you justify buying books to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4
File: 1448783414679.jpg (41 KB, 348x342) Image search: [Google]
1448783414679.jpg
41 KB, 348x342
>E-reader-owners of Lit, how do you justify buying books to yourself?
I've made arguments against people that buying physical copies is a waste of money compared to an e-reader. That buying books and displaying them in your domicile only serves to make you feel good about yourself and to show the length of your literary dick to others.

While with having an e-reader the books you download and read exist just for you and the reasons behind reading them will remain pure and untainted.

(I should note that the arguments are held in jest and for no other reason than to have a laugh with bookcase-fetishists. And it is also, of course, a bit of an argument against myself)

I still buy books myself and I must admit that I enjoy owning a book and smelling it and putting it somewhere in sight. But I've limited myself to three rules.
>the books are second hand (i.e. : cheap)
>it's a book I will read a second time somewhere in the future
>the edition doesn't look like utter shit

So /lit/, how do you justify buying a book to yourself?

I probably came off as a bit of a puff, but that's all right
>>
>>7484007
>serves to make you feel good about yourself

This is good enough reason for me. It makes me happy, and doesn't detract from my happiness elsewhere (like it would if I didn't have the money or space for them).

I can sit surrounded by my shelves and feel content and comfortable.
>>
Only dumb insecure american faggots would even give this any thought.
>>
>for the smell
I will never understand you weirdos.

I buy physical books when I know I will be marking in it extensively—non-fiction especially, and also novels I intend to read really deeply, etc.—and if it is something I will be reading over and over again too. there are other considerations, like if the book includes footnotes, pictures, or whatever, I'll want the real deal. my local used bookstore is massive and has a great selection, too, so I like walking around there and running into books I'd never think to search on Amazon.
>>
>>7484045
Why non-fiction especially?
>>
I prefer the experience of reading a book vs reading on an ereader.
>>
How do you justify buying a book ever?

Do you have any idea how bad it sucks moving large amounts of books? Why would you want to weigh yourself down with that shit in this fleeting life?

I really love having shadows fuck everything up when I turn to my side. I really miss that shit.
>>
>>7484071
It really doesn't suck that much. I've moved over a thousand to a second floor apartment. It only took a couple of hours, was a decent workout too.
>>
>>7484007
Better to read a physical copy than on some kind of e-reader. I've read on both and I'll take an actual physical version any day.
>>
>>7484007
I buy hardcovers from antiquaries, secondhand, in perfect condition. That is my only 'rule', although I will pick up any book that seems interesting to me if the situation allows it.
>>
ONE PUNCH MAN
>>
>>7484007
>that image
Jesus fucking Christ Hergé was based.
>>
I could own virtually any book I want, I own several first editions all of which cost me over $100. I own an ereader because big books are too heavy.
>>
>>7484030
By being critical of the motives behind your actions you can learn a lot about yourself
>>7484045
I don't buy books for the smell and I wouldn't use it as an argument for buying books. I just like the smell and it reminds me of when I used to read books as a child.
>>
>>7484007
>So /lit/, how do you justify buying a book to yourself?
I enjoy reading more from a page, I have a higher reading comprehension from a page, I get immersed more easily in writing from a page. I display my books only where I can see them, I always hold my books so that they can't be identified by others, I never voluntarily tell others what I'm reading. If people ask what I like, or what I'm reading I'll concisely tell them; and maybe give a quick explanation of the themes of the book, or its significance, but I never harp on it. I read for myself; I don't have to worry about my own authenticity because I have cultivated a healthy elitism such that I have little regard for the opinions of others and thusly have few fears that I do anything in order to improve the opinions of others about me.
>>
I like how books look. They give a room life and color. It also makes me feel like a patrician when I look at all the books Ive read (don't care what you say about that). On the rare occasion that somebody comes into my room and notices my books, they always give me complement or are amazed at how many books I have (chicks actually are pretty impressed most of the time).
>>
>>7484071
It sucks just as much as everything else. Some of us aren't obese so movie things really isn't that big of a deal desu. Put some music on and just get it done the end result is always massively satisfying
>>
There is literally nothing more fulfilling than putting a long book on the shelf after finishing it.
>>
I don't, I just do it. Doesn't need justifying.
>>
>>7484007
You guys think way too much about this.
>>
>>7484058
generally I am trying to learn about something if I am reading non-fiction, so I make a lot of marginalia as I go along.
>>
File: 1429298316418.png (269 KB, 567x960) Image search: [Google]
1429298316418.png
269 KB, 567x960
>>7484007
>So /lit/, how do you justify buying a book to yourself?

>>7484262
>>7484251
>>7484239
These

Because there is nothing that can match cuddling up with a thick blanket, a thicker book and a nice warm cup of rooibos.

Because there are few nostalgic sensations quite like the smell of a book, the feel of pages beneath your fingers and that subtle feeling of accomplishment when you see your bookmark a few hundred pages further than it was last week.

Because after I'm done reading I have a physical embodiment of the adventure in my home, faintly reliving it every time I glance over at the worn cover.

T B H I do it because I've always done it, because I enjoy doing it and because I can afford to.
>>
>>7484289
You're a consumerist slave.
>>
>>7484294
And loving every second of it
>>
>>7484294
>Lives in the "first world"
>thinks he's not a consumerist slave

Unless you are posting from the library computer and you live in the wood, making your own things you too are a consumerist slave. There nothing wrong with it btw
>>
my reasoning is that books are annoying to pirate and you can buy good books used for like 10 cents at thrift stores and used book places. kindle versions of books are always like $12.
>>
>>7484323
what? For 99% of the books it's just typing the name and epub in google and clicking the first result.
>>
>>7484007
I find that my physical collection is more personal and useful since I've started using an ereader.

I rarely buy physical books anymore unless:
>I have already read them and I know I want to reread them
>I need them for academic purposes
>Can't find an electronic version or the formatting is fucked up (books with nice illustrations or unconvential formatting like Hopscotch or House of Leaves)
>It's second hand/cheap

Before owning an ereader I bought a lot more of shite, some of it I did not even read. I think the books I buy now reflect way more my tastes
>>
>>7484332
no it isnt
>>
>>7484318
another one
>>
File: 1447982743907s.jpg (8 KB, 250x230) Image search: [Google]
1447982743907s.jpg
8 KB, 250x230
>>7484289
Well said anon
>>
>>7484323
pirating is incredible easy retard
>>
>>7484332
books aren't hard to pirate but there some really obscure books with obscure translation that don't have any seeders. But chances are if you can't find it online you wont be able to find it in a thrift store
>>
File: IMG_20150928_121138.jpg (19 KB, 336x265) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150928_121138.jpg
19 KB, 336x265
>>7484239
You've put my doubts to rest. I agree with most of your points and I guess that the part of me that still struggles does so in fear of a dishonest or fake identity
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.