[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would be the best book to introduce someone to Ayn Rand?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: 010.jpg (166 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
010.jpg
166 KB, 800x1200
What would be the best book to introduce someone to Ayn Rand? I only read The fountainhead, and a very butchered version for school, but I really liked what I did read, and would like to give something Ayn Rand as a present to my dad this christmas. Obviously I thought of the fountainhead, but since I haven't read anything else, maybe you could recommend something of hers that would be a better intro? Thanks!
>>
Are you mad? Ayn Rand is shit, and I'm in the internet marketing business.
>>
>>7483362
Why is she shit?
I don't necessarily agree on her postures, but the way she defends and presents egoism as well as the possible outcomes of it seems pretty well structured to me.
I'm a math and econ major, pleased to meet you.
>>
Probably shitting into a large bag and letting it ferment for about 2 weeks[/spoilers] and then [spoilers]swimming in it
>>
>>7483370
Thanks!
>>
>>7483366
Do you live in reality?

Theory:
>Rand called her philosophy "Objectivism", describing its essence as "the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute."

Practice:
>Sociopathy.
>>
>>7483384
What's your point?
>>
>>7483389
>Reply to Thread No.7483356
>[Spoiler?]
It doesn't work in practice. It's why businesses fail in the new media social economy. It's why they take lessons from Gary Vaynerchuck on delivering value to others instead of making it all about you. It's why the legacy publishers are having their marketshare destroyed by indie publishers.
>>
>>7483398
Okay.
Still, what's your point?
I never claimed I agreed with her, I just said I enjoyed the way she presented and defended her beliefs. Plus, there's really no comparing what works for an individual with the personal quest of happening with what works for a company with the 'aggregate' quest for profit.
>>
>>7483405
personal quest of happiness*
>>
What makes you think it's all about being happy. It's all about the money, and when it comes to making money, it's all about delivering value. Ayn Rand is obsolete. Give your friend a better book to read, like MJ DeMarco's Millionaire Fastlane, which will teach him the Commandment of Entry and to think like a producer instead of a consumer.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.