[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how does one expand one's vocabulary, /lit? Hoping to become
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: BqF7n4GCMAA1QGU.jpg (60 KB, 500x641) Image search: [Google]
BqF7n4GCMAA1QGU.jpg
60 KB, 500x641
how does one expand one's vocabulary, /lit? Hoping to become an eloquent motherfucker
>>
read dictionary
>>
I'd say its through just a general osmosis. I occasionally finding myself using words I don't know the actual meaning of, only to be surprised that I used them in the right context. I think people subconsciously infer new word definitions correctly most of the time given enough buffer. just read more, f@m.
>>
>>7483012
stop trying to hard
>>
>>7483012
This is a really dumb question. You read.
>>
>>7483022
This t'bh
>>
>>7483048
Yes, but how do you read?
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 197x230) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 197x230
Just read books. Look up definitions when you don't know something. It isn't really that complicated.
>>
>>7483082
jesus chroust, how arising
>>
>>7483012
whoever made that image never read Ulysses
>>
It depends on what you mean by “expanding one's vocabulary”. You shouldn't particularly look for new words per se, as they may carry subtle nuances you won't get—leading to incorrect uses— or feel the urge to employ them as often as you can, making yourself look like a fool. Instead you should secure what you already know—you probably ignore 90% of your own lexicon's depth—and strenghten your stock with a strong understanding of the common vocabulary. Once you will master all the shades, you will be able to convey the right meaning while putting the right word.
>>
>>7483427

I like this advice but I would add that you shouldn't be afraid to throw around new words for fun even if you may misuse them, it all contributes to the learning process.
>>
>>7483443
I don't think it's a good idea. Learning new words isn't a conscious process, a strong lexicon built itself by reading a lot and carefully mimicking these occurences before fully getting the meaning. It's important to not read a dictionary, as it only concerns a small, barely useful fraction of what the term means and old linguistics make a distinction between denotation, the genuine, written definition and the more vast conotation, what a person “feel” when listening to it, regardless what the dictionaries say. If you look for a superficial vocabulary and read dictionaries, you'll end up using “lackadaisical” or “pauciloquent” which should be absolutely forbidden.
>>
>>7483095

jeez,'e's curst, who's aroosting?
>>
>>7483459

>lackadaisical

But that's a great word, even the word itself feels lackadaisical
>>
>>7483760
It's absolutely haram. Please cease at once.
>>
>>7483063
Just use your eyes, nigga
>>
Learn a new word every time you sit on the toilet

If you have IBS, you'll be a genius in no time
>>
>>7483760
It's a good + cool word. I don't even mind that it sounds like one of them self-consciously learned words, like tarnation or whatevers. Okay dope guys, good thread, good hustle
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.