[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Im on a Dostoy binge. Just finished Crime and Punishment and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (314 KB, 1400x2092) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
314 KB, 1400x2092
Im on a Dostoy binge. Just finished Crime and Punishment and Notes from Underground before that. Is it safe to dive into The Brothers Karamazov or do i continue chronilogically with The Idiot?
>>
read TBK!!!
>>
>not reading diary from the house of dead
>thinks he's reading chronologically

Fucking kill yourself, you falling-for-the-memes faggot
>>
>>7482714

The more you read before Karamazov, the better. Chronological is good but not a must. You do well to read The Idiot and Demons. For shorter works, The Double, The Gambler, and House of the Dead are also very good, as are a number of his short stories.
>>
>>7482725

this is over the top, Notes and TBK are his only worthwhile books

everyone knows his other novels are bad on a second read (which means they're bad novels)
>>
>>7482714

How long did it take you to learn Russian?
>>
>>7482725

I'm sorry.
>>
Just read TBK. It is the best book. The characters are so memorable.
>>
>>7482763
Yeah, it shouldn't even really be part of Dosto's canon, it's just above it. The Idiot is his best besides it. TBK is probably the best Western novel ever written (others god tier one's are Moby Dick and Don Quixote)
>>
>>7482779
>russian
>western
>>
>>7482792
Don't be a moron.
>>
>>7482792

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_literature
>>
>>7482792
it's good point, yes, but culturally imperial Russia in the 19th century was, for all intents and purposes, Europe, at least within the educated spheres in Moscow and (especially) Saint Petersburg, and all the romantics (goncharov, pushkin, lermontov, not sure about dosto) hung around those places.

however, you are right to point out that russia doesn't fit neatly within the western-eastern dichotomy popular in the west (it's really its own thing), but for literary purposes they are considered the west.
>>
>>7482779

Hmmm I was just about to start reading him from the beginning myself but this post has made me keen to to start with TBK. Would I be missing out on the experience if I began with it?
>>
>>7482714

It's totes safe, the themes will be familiar and not strange. do it faggot
>>
>>7482844
Nah, if I could read him for the 1st time I'd read TBK 1st. It contains just about everything else he wrote in it im some form or another, so I'd read it 1st then just read whatever else sounds good to you after that. I'd recommend the Idiot, Demons, and Crime and Punishment.
>>
File: 1418362082729.png (338 KB, 1066x466) Image search: [Google]
1418362082729.png
338 KB, 1066x466
Check out the Doubles OP
>>
>>7482736
Also "The Eternal Husband."
>>
>>7482804

Dosto himself was horrified at the idea of equating Russia with the West.
>>
>>7482736
Any recommendations for his short stories?
>>
>>7484367

Some good ones imo include 'The Christmas Tree and a Wedding', 'White Nights', 'Bobok', 'The Heavenly Christmas Tree', and 'A Gentle Spirit'. 'A Nasty Anecdote' and 'The Crocodile' are also good and are more on the absurd side. My absolute favorite short story of his, though, is 'The Dream of a Ridiculous Man'.
>>
>>7483810
Christian Bale actually starred in a film inspired by The Double.
>>
>>7482821
Your first sentence is terribly written. Try to make it flow instead of cramming as much shit in as you can.
>>
Guys, I have a question? Is there any version that has more short stories of Dosto in one book? I never bought anything online, so I couldn't find any on amazon. I find it a bit hard to pay 20$+ for each story. Since they should be short, maybe there is a version that has two or three and it's kinda the same price.
>>
Rape.
>>
>>7485595
im not sure what youre asking, but most of his short stories were written before his exile (Notes from the Underground / The House of the Dead were written just after it). IMO, Dostoevsky came to his own as a writer beginning with those stories, pre-exile Dostoevsky is just generic Romanticism
>>
File: 1449867355209.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1449867355209.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>7485404
The Machinist

it's excellent
>>
>Is it safe
are you fucking autistic?
>>
TBK is pure gold.
Try The Eternal Husband collection for short stories.
>>
What's The Brothers Karamazov about?

Would it be an easy read for someone who's never read any Russian literature before? I've got Crime and Punishment but haven't had the chance to start it yet.
>>
>>7486902
just learn russian first
>>
>>7486907
I'd rather read the English translations.
>>
>>7486907
Пиздa, дa?
>>
>>7486902
As far as difficulty it kind of depends what you've read before, it's not really babby's first classic but I didn't find it that hard. I read C&P first and really liked it, I'd recommend reading that first but you don't have to
>>
>>7486842
No, I mean a collection of more stories in just one book, so I just have to order one, and probably pay less than ordering separately
>>
>>7482738
i just read crime and punishment a third time for an essay assignment and this was my best read

your and idiot
>>
>>7482736

Damn I was about to start brothers karamazov in a few days once I've finished current book. Is that a bad place to start? I also have the double. What will be the problem with starting with brothers karamazov?
>>
>>7482738
>everyone knows his other novels are bad on a second read (which means they're bad novels)

Are you a plebe by any chance?
>>
>>7487362

The main problem with starting with Karamazov is that it's his best work and a culmination of his thought, and everything else of his will pale in comparison. If you have The Double, definitely read that first; it's his earliest writing that's worthwhile.
>>
>>7487458
This is true, but I think he handles the themes presented in Karamazov with more detail in other books, so for me I don't see a problem reading TBK 1st then just picking what sounds interesting.
>>
>>7487379
Dostoyevsky is fairly pleb mate.
>>
On The Idiot: the downside is, structurally the novel is a mess. Near the end the plot is spinning completely out of control and Dostoevsky has no fucking clue how to finish it so just does a complete asspull of an ending. There's also more than one weird tangent.

That said, it's absolutely worth reading next. Myshkin is one of the greatest characters in literature and some of the scenes are incredible dramatic constructions. It's probably my favourite of Dostoevsky's novels that I've read. The meat is delicious, I just wish he wasn't making it up as he went along...
>>
>>7482714

I'd say save TBK for last. Definitely read The Idiot before.
>>
>>7482738

My opinion is not the same as yours :^)
>>
File: jDfrAdI.gif (4 MB, 532x529) Image search: [Google]
jDfrAdI.gif
4 MB, 532x529
>>7482738
>everyone knows his other novels are bad on a second read
>>
The Brothers Karamazov is the pinnacle of Dostoevsky's writing in a sense that he's practically reusing most of the characters, situations and themes from his previous novels, only does it maybe a bit better and as parts of a whole.
I'd also say, read it the last. It would be good idea to read his previous "parts" of unofficial Great Five (Crime and Punishment, The Idiot, Demons, and, yes, The Adolescent too) before Karamazovs.
But in the end, it isn't essential. I read Karamzovs as my second novel of his after Crime and Punishment and I don't think I lost that much. I reread it after I finished all the others, though.
>>
>>7482738
Oscar Wilde pls go
>>
Dostoevsky: I copy people I see in every day life, I don't understand every day life so I write masturbatory fantasies with real characters. I might throw in some ideology so nobody notices.
>>
>>7486909
>being so autistic that you can't even see how autistic it is metaphorically

get some help senpai
>>
>>7488221
Oscar liked Crime and Punishment.
>>
Guys, what should I read next? Brothers K, Infinite Jest, East of Eden, or On the Road?
>>
>>7490486
Have the courage to think for yourself you idiot
>>
>>7490498

No, I would very much like you to tell me what to read. I honor your opinion and guidance. So please tell me.
>>
>>7490486
A different, less belligerent anon here. How much have you read from Dostoyevsky or Wallace? Also, someone else was thinking of those two particular books recently, and it would be a very interesting exercise to read them in close proximity to each other.
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.