[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Vonnegut solidly in YA tier is he worth reading? I have read
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: asshole.jpg (21 KB, 347x400) Image search: [Google]
asshole.jpg
21 KB, 347x400
Is Vonnegut solidly in YA tier is he worth reading? I have read Breakfast of Champions, Slaughterhouse Five, Cat's Cradle, and Sirens of Titan in my teenage years, and have a few more remaining on my shelf that I never read. They were fun books but they were very light, almost like light novels that I read when I was a teenager too. Most of them had a very obvious, shallow message, and Breakfast of Champions didn't seem to have a message at all.
>>
>>7482231
>Most of them had a very obvious, shallow message
>message

you're gonna be a pleb no matter what you read if you keep up this simplistic conception of literature.
>>
>>7482237
Red pill us, bro! Is it too unnuanced to think that a book might have a moral? Let's hear your regurgitated thoughts on authorship, meaning, etc. pretentious cunt.
>>
File: lacan.jpg (21 KB, 450x444) Image search: [Google]
lacan.jpg
21 KB, 450x444
>>7482340
>your regurgitated thoughts
>implying 'muh message' instrumentalism isn't regurgitation of middle school literary criticism

if you didn't want to talk to pretentious people why did you come here asking for their validation
>>
>>7482367
>HAHAHAH LE BUTTHOLE SO IT GOES (IN LE BUTTHOLE) XDDD
vonnegut fans in a nutshell
>>
>>7482231
Vonnegut only gets worse as you get older, so try them now before it's too late.
>>
Ooh, wow, gosh, yipes!

A lighthearted humor writer born almost a hundred years ago doesn't resonate with you, your opinions are so profound and insightful and cultural and original

Get over yourself. Vonnegut is pretty inoffensive. If you feel the need to brag about how you dislike well loved authors like him on the internet you're probably into the arts for all the wrong reasons and part of the website's shittiest community
>>
Try some of the short stories.

I approach Vonnegut as a vector these days: his stories are invaluable as starting places for other ventures. I read him regularly when tasked with designing something, almost as an exercise in plumbing the obvious. The ways in which he plumbed the possibilities of that with which was around him is worth moving on.
>>
>>7482237
It's plebby to read a novel looking for a message. But it's plebbier to write a novel that has a message, which is what Kurt Vonnegut did.
>>
>>7482478
>>7482367
>>7482237
>art for art's sake
Gaddis would be very disappointed in you.
>>
>>7482488
No he wouldn't, as long as the art was great. Menstrual splatters for their own sake or trendy art for the sake of profit are the things he hated.
>>
Look for God Bless You, Dr. Kevorkian and Wampeters, Foma, & Granfalloons.

The former is told in the form of a series of interviews conducted by the author with various deceased figures after being temporarily killed by Dr. Kevorkian.

The latter is a collection of essays, speeches, and interviews of his. Especially interesting are the glimpses into events in his life like when he visited Nigeria during their civil war and witnessed some astonishingly horrific, and some astonishingly beautiful things.
>>
>>7482478
Every significant novel is about something of importance the writer wanted to tell the reader. Whether you agree or understand it or not is another matter, but if you think that the only good books are the ones where the author has nothing valuable to say, you're going to have a hard time finding quality writing.
>>
>>7482427
never read vonnegut in my life m8

stay mad
>>
>>7482864
>Every significant novel is about something of importance the writer wanted to tell the reader

>novels are just long fortune cookies

>but if you think that the only good books are the ones where the author has nothing valuable to say

>muh dichotomies

jeez the plebs are out in full force tonight
>>
>>7482886
Time to back up your claims with evidence my man. Name a book considered to be of literary merit that makes no attempt to persuade or introduce a new idea to the reader, and isn't designed to be incomprehensible.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.