[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Multiverse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
Is there any good book taking multiverse as a plot device? I just read Adventures of Luther Arkwright and it was horrendous. Haven't experienced anything so pompously empty since second season of Fargo.

To be honest I have no idea how to make this sort of shit interesting.

>There's this universe
>But here you go, have some others
>See, these are a bit different
>...
>Now let's have a story
>>
>pompously empty since second season of Fargo

Nice b8 kiddo
>>
Probably not because ideas like that are used by people who have no imagination but think they do so they use some incredibly abstract physics idea dumbed down to shit that is really trippy which people like.
>>
>>7481737
>Not recognizing the quality of The Adventures Of Luther Arkwright
All right, I'll bite the b8. What was it you didn't like about it? The artwork, the metaphysics, or the plot?
>>
>>7481743
Exactly the same method of endless meta references, a mutual masturbation between the writer/director and the consumer. Everybody's smart, and everything painfully ties together into an orgy of contrivance.

>>7481747
No wonder they combine it with trendy occult stuff.

>>7481762
Artwork was great. Plot was just a bunch of references to slightly tweaked historical stuff. Metaphysics was just some garbled mysticism pushed together to serve as deus ex machina, especially psi/magick/rebirth stuff. Writing was just plain bad; posturing born out of inferiority complex comic books of the time had, which led to Hugo proclaiming Neil Gaiman as a good writer and a fucking comic book for best novel.

Video games suffer much of the same issues today, struggling for relevance in the west.
>>
>>7481777
>Plot was just a bunch of references
Aaand you just admitted to being functionally illiterate.

PennJillette.jpeg
>>
>>7481789
>PennJillette.jpeg

you should write for talbot
>>
>>7481794
Nope, I'd come off as a less imaginative Garth Ennis.
But seriously, how do you boil down the plot to " just a bunch of references to slightly tweaked historical stuff", when the plot is pretty much the monomyth?
>>
>>7481804
And what is so complicated about the monomyth? I'm talking about Talbot's stylistic choices which constitute of endless referencing of concepts he is tangentially familiar with, from historical events, personalities, wars, revolutions, social theories, yoga, repression etc. It's an endless cascade of storytelling that tells instead of shows crowned with the definition of entropy at the very last page because that is also the concept Talbot somewhat understands and since the work does deal with universe(s), why not throw some thermodynamics in to cap it off. The whole reading process consists of "I got that reference" moments, how does that not tire you with its shallowness?
>>
>>7481747
OP, take a look at Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion books. there's dozens of them. a hero is reincarnated into different worlds, sometimes with vague memories of his other incarnations.

extra points for the time three of them took part in an adventure together.

> inb4 someone who hasn't read them condemns them as YA tripe

as for luther arkwright - "Its genesis owes something to the influence of Michael Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius stories"..
- wikipedia
>>
>>7483187
that shit is YA tripe, pleb.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.