[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post local equivalent of famous writer >polish Tolstoy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 11
File: boleslaw prus lalka.jpg (77 KB, 300x482) Image search: [Google]
boleslaw prus lalka.jpg
77 KB, 300x482
Post local equivalent of famous writer
>polish Tolstoy
>>
File: alastalon.jpg (215 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
alastalon.jpg
215 KB, 1600x1200
finnish joyce
>tfw he will never be translated
>>
File: a dance to the music of time.jpg (13 KB, 300x453) Image search: [Google]
a dance to the music of time.jpg
13 KB, 300x453
>the English Proust
>>
File: devil to pay in the backlands.jpg (39 KB, 316x466) Image search: [Google]
devil to pay in the backlands.jpg
39 KB, 316x466
>brazilian joyce
>>
>>7480933
Have you read him? Sounds interesting, and he seems to be translated in my native language as well.
>>
File: haruf.jpg (29 KB, 307x475) Image search: [Google]
haruf.jpg
29 KB, 307x475
>the American Thomas Hardy
>>
>>7480982
if you're familiar with Peter Nadas I'd say he's very reminiscent. famously a man crossing to the mantelpiece to grab his pipe takes like 65 pages
>>
>>7480933
>>7480982
Do you guys know in which languages it is translated?
>>
>>7480969
kek
>>
>>7480961
meh
>>
Rushdie

Weird n Hairy Indian Marques + Borgethhh etc
>>
anyone ever read the manuscript found in saragossa?
>>
>>7481792
no but i loved the film
>>
Ivan Gundulic, Croatian Dante
>>
>>7481792
Yes. It is a interesting book
>>
>>7481797
havent seen the film, but i imagine from reading the book, it would be much better expressed through that form, the stories within stories format was really jarring. one moment you'd be listening to the wandering jew discussing his childhood, and suddenly you'd be whisked away to listening to a gypsy chief talk about being in an underground tomb listening to another story from some chick, and on and on and on.
>>
>>7481687
I think it's literally only been translated into Swedish, can't find anything else.
>>
>>7481799
He'd be Croatian Torquato Tasso.
Croatian Dante would be Marulić (ie, first epic in vernacular language, has a strong Christian message, influenced many subsequent writers) (I'm not comparing literary quality of Judita and Divina Commedia, just to be clear (because I haven't even read Judita))
>>
>>7480918

i have this, is it really that good? any other good polish authors? preferably from the late 1800s to 1930. so from the late imperial era of russian domination until the civil war and independence.
>>
Russian Margaret Mitchell
>>Book about the defeat of the Southerners in the Civil War
>>
File: ulysses joyce.jpg (281 KB, 965x947) Image search: [Google]
ulysses joyce.jpg
281 KB, 965x947
>Irish David Foster Wallace
>>
>>7482911
brekkek kekkek kekkek kekkek!
>>
>>7481797
>>7481811
the movie is not that good, imo. i liked the book better.
>>
>>7481959
Content and form wise I found Gundulic closer and he too has a pretty intense Christian message. 3 major parts with something actually relatively close to inferno, purgatorio and paradiso.
>>
>>7480918
>me tb'h
>my hometown's Dan brown
>>
>>7482809
It's awful.

Was a huge thing back in the day cause MUH ZEITGEIST but the prose is awful, ideas are superficial, concept is mediocre at best
>>
>>7483675

so its nothing like anna karenina or a shorter book by turgenev, dostoyevsky, etc?
>>
>>7483770
I guess if we had to pick one writer similar to these, that might've been Prus, but he scores poorly on the test of time compared to Dosto, Tolstoy etc

His books are just full of cliches, I guess that triggers me bit more than the average reader, but... they truly are. He even admitted himself that he was not a novelist, and that's not only cause of polish positivism's(which is, again, terrible itself) ideology, he was legitimately very far from writing to create something meaningful and beautiful and I've always felt like not identifying as a novelist was simply his excuse.
>>
>>7480992

Sounds up my alley.
>>
>>7483797

I recently got into polish cinema (ashes and diamonds is really really fucking good). can you rec me some essential books? there has to be a few of them no? preferably from 1860 to 1920.
>>
>>7480918

>Tolstoy is the Tolstoy of the Zulus
>>
Cormac McCarthy. He's the American Faulkner.
>>
>>7483807
Witkacy is the greatest polish playwright from that period(&he wrote some amazing novels) and second best to date, although he's pure interwar so late 1920+, Wyspiański is also top tier, but almost exclusively a playwright

Sienkiewicz if you like historical novels, but that's a one tier superior Stephen King at the turn of the century

Żeromski for all kinds of stuff, but mostly polish sociopolitical matters, we have two of his novels as assigned readings in high school as nothing else quite captures that time's spirit as well

That period is sadly not that high up there as a whole when it comes to polish lit, I'd say both romanticism and modernism are on another level, but taken the historical context it makes perfect sense
>>
>>7483807
not that anon but definitely books by Przybyszewski, Grabinski (some say he's like Poe from Poland with obssession about trains)

Others, not quite from that period of time, but definitely worth checking out: Gombrowicz, Schulz Konwicki (his movies and his books are both equally great), Stachura, Hłasko.
>>
>>7483882
zero uznania dla Różewicza

Przybyszewski to dokładna emulacja tego co wczesniej i gdzie indziej

a Gombrowicz wcale nie jest worth it
>>
>>7480918
Henryk Sienkiewicz is literally rolling in his grave...
>>
>>7483888
sry m8, (i) not a Pole, (ii) haven't read any Różewicz, (iii) finding Krzyk really good and (iv) Gombrowicz is definitely among the best writers.
>>
what abou bruno schulz?
>>
>brazilian fyodor
>>
>>7483902
Check out some Różewicz then, he is pretty much our little local Joyce(at least the comparison of Joyce vs other irish writers and Różewicz vs other PL ones is of a similar scope)

About Gombro, eh, non est disputandum. The statement ''definitely among the best'' is false, but I can see why some people dig him.

>>7483906
He's amazing if you like that style, if not, well, people call it purple prose and move on.
>>
>>7480918
requesting epic historical fiction in the tradition of Tolstoy and Sienkiewicz from South Africa, time period irrelevent except post apartheid.
>>
>>7483852
>>7483882
What about Lem?
>>
>>7483945
Not my cup of tea, but the genre's fans do love him.
>>
>>7483945
I like him a lot (and not even genre's fan as >>7483961 says), but I thought he's not the right thing here.
>>
>>7480918
>polish Tolstoy
>implying you can compare Polish writers to Russian
aaahahhaahhaahahhaha
>>
>Margaret Atwood
>The Canadian J.K. Rowling
>>
Mirza Fatali Akhundzade "the Azerbaijani Molière"
>>
Halldor Laxness - the big guy from iceland
>>
>>7484056
Oh shit, too deep man. Shit cut too deep
>>
File: stefan_och_krister_samlingsbox.jpg (50 KB, 371x547) Image search: [Google]
stefan_och_krister_samlingsbox.jpg
50 KB, 371x547
Swedish Molière.
>>
File: Bernanos.jpg (50 KB, 518x720) Image search: [Google]
Bernanos.jpg
50 KB, 518x720
French Dostoievski
>>
>>7483852
>shitting on prus
>unironnically reccing zeromski or sienkiewicz
Lmao
The Doll is better than any their novel. However Zeromski had some great plots (ill say korzecki), but Sienkiewicz Potop is literally worst book ever made
>>
>>7480969
You read Terceira Margem do Rio?
>>
>>7484511
>2015
>not knowing the tragedy of Arvid and Hulda
>>
>>7483648
Oh, yeah, you were thinking of Suze sina razmetnoga being similar to Comedy, I was thinking about Osman being similar to Jerusalem Conquered.
>>
>>7484772
>>not knowing the tragedy of Arvid and Hulda
What makes you think I don't.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.