[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Howdy, I am a very young man in the military who is interested
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: Thoth.png (362 KB, 727x871) Image search: [Google]
Thoth.png
362 KB, 727x871
Howdy, I am a very young man in the military who is interested in majoring in the fields of linguistics and anthropology in my civilian life. I am interested in getting a pretty firm grasp on how Latin and Greek work, more or less an elementary level introduction to these languages, and I suppose just understanding Linguistics in general. I come to you today to ask this: where do I start? Pic completely unrelated, I have no relevant pictures on my laptop.
>>
Language: The Basics by R. L. Trask is a decent, short introduction to Linguistics. Are there any subfields in particular you find interesting?
>>
>>7480915
There's so so much.
Ethnolinguistics, Applied Linguistics, Historical Linguistics... Phonology, Semantics, Pragmatics, Discourse Analysis and Stylistics are the things that have appealed to me the most, which I know is quite a bit so that might not help any. What first interested me in the field was English poetry, and how the structure and metre could affect the mood and "feel," for lack of a better term, of a poem if that helps any.
>>
>>7480902
As far as learn Latin and Greek go, pick up Mastronarde's textbook for Greek and Keller and Russell's for Latin. Easily the two best out there.
>>
>>7481013
Are you talking about Learn to Read Latin and Introductory to Attic Greek? Unless you think I can find it online I will add it to my cart, thanks.
>>
Not lingustics, but as you mentioned poetry, you may be interested in an anthology of English poetry, from Middle English to Modern: 'The Best Poems of the English Language' - Harold Bloom
>>
>>7481021
Yep! Those are the ones. Both, especially Mastronarde, are heavy on the grammar. If your learning is self directed, I might also suggest the workbook that accompanies Learn to Read Latin. Lots of great exercises in there. Mastronarde doesn't have a workout book complement but has plenty of exercises in the textbook itself. Fair warning on Learn to Read Latin: the binding can get kind of worn out. Might be better to opt for the hard cover.
>>
>>7481067
I am interested, in fact. Thanks!
>>7481072
Thanks for the suggestion, I found the one on greek as a pdf file online (I don't like it, but my wallet is more powerful than my conscious). I prefer classroom settings usually, but I am currently in Okinawa, Japan and there aren't many choices past Japanese as far as language is concerned at the local English college level.
>>
>>7480902
Just ask your sergeant. Mine explained Infinte Jest to me, I'm sure yours will know Latin.
>>
>>7481082
Hey, whatever you need to do man. Completely understandable. I'm a physical copy kind of guy myself. Best of luck with your journey into classical linguistics! Also, excellent choice of thumbnail. Toth = most based god
>>
File: Set.png (163 KB, 361x796) Image search: [Google]
Set.png
163 KB, 361x796
>>7481087
If only. My sergeant hasn't read a book since high school
>>7481099
Thanks, I'm looking forward to it. Toth is indeed the most based of all gods.
>>
>>7481125
Sorry breh. /lit/ sergeant is the best sergeant. We're both reading Crime and Punisgment now. Thank god I don't have a real job.
>>
>>7481143
Must be nice. And I'm in one of the jobs that is considered one of the "smarter" jobs in the "smartest" branch. Most people I've found in the military are just dumb Americans
>>
>>7481166
That sucks dude. Most of the other enlisted I'm with got their bachelors at like 20, or were accepted into Princeton and shit but decided to join the army instead.
I'm actually probably one of the dumbest there.
Luck plays a role I guess.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.