[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We>1984
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: 76171.jpg (125 KB, 313x475) Image search: [Google]
76171.jpg
125 KB, 313x475
We>1984
>>
>>7480498
Said everyone ever.
>>
>translations
>penguin translations
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (137 KB, 1600x818) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
137 KB, 1600x818
>I'll take Who Says It? for a thousand, Alex.

>"We > 1984," or "Vinyl > MP3."
>>
>>7480498
Is it really though? I'm going to get a book today. I like 1984, should I pick this up?
>>
>>7480599
>I like 1984
>>
>>7480599
it's a decent book but i wasn't a fan of 1984 either. i prefer it to 1984 just because the romance is far more fleshed out and the characters have more room to breathe. my biggest problem with 1984 was just how obsessive it was with crafting t he perfect setting. the setting was perfect, really, but the writing felt hollow.
>>
>>7480607
im assuming you don't?
>>
>>7480608

I thought the setting was good but I really loved We because of how it was written. It had such beautiful moments. Although, I did like the scene where Winston was being tortured into believing Big Brother's ideology. Then again, the scene where everybody's imagination got destroyed was also cool. It was done with such swiftness. My favourite part of We was the introduction where D-503 explains to us about the INTEGRAL and how OneState plans to make everyone conform to their regime. Overall, I liked 1984's torture scene better. It gave more of a feeling of being beaten into submission while in We it was your ability to imagine or to think differently to the benefactor being taken away.

I like both books. I'm wondering if I should read Brave New World. What do you think of it?
>>
File: Grand-Palais.jpg (112 KB, 465x640) Image search: [Google]
Grand-Palais.jpg
112 KB, 465x640
I wouldn't necessarily say it's better. It explores much of the same ideas but has a more sci-fi feel to it. I'd say it's more akin to BNW with a dash of The Giver.
>>
>>7480623
the first half of the book is similar to We and 1984, but the second half takes a completely new turn and at that point I don't even think they're worthy of comparison anymore. It's probably my favorite of the three, but I've never really understood the rampant comparisons of 1984 and Brave New World, because once Brave New World takes off, it takes a much different approach
>>
>>7480635
If anything, We feels way more realistic than 1984
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.