[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The state of alt lit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 15
File: 1-500x571.jpg (68 KB, 500x571) Image search: [Google]
1-500x571.jpg
68 KB, 500x571
>be a sophomore in college in the mid-2000s
>intern at a literary website
>assigned to survey all other literary websites and compile them into a spreadsheet for future linking/best practices reference
>find out about HTMLGIANT, Big Other, and 3 AM Magazine
>3 AM Magazine has cool weekly roundups linking to good old writers and punk bands, but HTMLGIANT and a few writers on Big Other really grab me
>regularly keep up with both websites and in the process, get hooked on alt lit
>watch Tao Lin blow up as a literary phenomenon
>watch Marie Calloway temporarily blow up in a similar way
>other people related to Tao Lin like Megan Boyle and later, Mira Gonzalez, have their 5 seconds of fame
>alt lit scene exciting as hell, the literary movement of the 21st century, making literature relevant for post-post-modernists
>all of a sudden, SJWs attack
>VIDA study enrages women writers when they see concrete proof that men dominate the field
>HTMLGIANT ripped from within and outside by women writers
>HTMLGIANT closes under pressure in fall of 2014
>Tao Lin accused of statutory gay rape around the same time
>alt lit veteran Elizabeth Ellen, of Hobart, writes essay defending Tao Lin and others and wondering why human beings aren't allowed to be complicated and problematic in the internet age
>EE is viciously attacked for her essay and takes a break from social media
???
>summer of 2015, EE returns to Tumblr of all places, with her don't give a fuck about SJWs attitude
>find out that she hosted a reading at her house for Tao Lin and Mira Gonzalez after an individual at the bookstore where the they were supposed to read complained that they felt uncomfortable with them reading there
So is alt lit dead or not? Is it even more of a circlejerk scene now that I have no chance of finding out more about unless I stalk them like with EE? Did any website rise up to replace HTMLGIANT? Or is my only hope for reading more posts from Blake Butler just regularly checking VICE for his column?
>>
rip HTMLgiant you sweet prince :(

afaik nothing else has risen in the place of htmlgiant, but there's a few things that seeb=n they have potential
>>
>>7479651
>>alt lit veteran Elizabeth Ellen, of Hobart, writes essay defending Tao Lin and others and wondering why human beings aren't allowed to be complicated and problematic in the internet age
sounds pretty cool, is her work any good?
>>
>>7479688
If you like trashy stories about breakups/sex/drugs/rock&roll, you should check out her short stories. She does a lot of flash fiction too.
>>
>Internet is about pointless bickering, gossip and attention seeking
>Vapid individuals interacting over the medium

If the internet was about communication artistic or otherwise, we would all be using a spoken language interface. There would be a return to dialogue, as computers aid us in search for meaningful and interesting conversation within a global village one could otherwise never experience.

Writing is essentially a filter. A good writer might make you feel they speak directly to you, a voice as clear and present in your mind as your own. But they don't, and they can't.

Spoken language is also a filter, true. But there is so much more information conveyed in speech, in intonation, gestures, movements, tone and volume. You get a deeper richer meaning to a thought.

So what is this mass global transit system of binary digits used for? Commerce and Propaganda. A lie you tell yourself, I belong. You belong to a virtual space, a place you visit but can never live in. How then are you any different from fanatic or mad man, one trapped inside an ideology the other in his mind?

Alt lit never lived, how can it die?
>>
>>7479717
When countless college (and probably high school, but I couldn't tell you) writers were using scare quotes, taking or at least writing about taking ketamine, and conveying their supposed depression with sincerity, whether in poems, short stories, or tweets, alt lit was undoubtedly alive. At the very least, it was the literary genre of the hipster phenomenon.

But then, I wouldn't be surprised if you said the same thing about hipsters.
>>
>>7479717
>There would be a return to dialogue
I think this otherwise throwaway clause is where your thoughts should be focused as opposed to speech vs. text. All the ill effects you greentexted occur on websites where people have a 1-to-all or all-to-all relationship. In 1-to-1 relationship sites, like Omegle or non-group chat messengers that are separate from social media sites, I think >meaningful and interesting conversation occurs, or can occur.

Besides, can you point me to historical villages, even on a town scale, let alone global, that fostered such great conversation? Hasn't conversation always been best 1-to-1? Even around a cafe table with 4-7 friends, the conversations can tend towards attention-seeking and group-think.
>>
File: disgust.jpg (12 KB, 200x267) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
12 KB, 200x267
>>7479651
>phonetic spelling that isn't IPA
>>
>>7479659
>there's a few things that seeb=n they have potential
Like what?
>>
>>7479651
I have zero interest in whatever politics and social turmoil your shitty art-clique is going through. Sage + hide.
>>
File: 1450371387863.png (359 KB, 561x362) Image search: [Google]
1450371387863.png
359 KB, 561x362
>>7479717
>He hasn't read Derida
>>
File: Untitled.png (736 KB, 1361x625) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
736 KB, 1361x625
>>7479794
thx for bumping my thread m8 I appreciate it
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 350x433) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 350x433
>>7479717
>materialism
>>
File: 1430808613413.jpg (72 KB, 614x572) Image search: [Google]
1430808613413.jpg
72 KB, 614x572
>>7479651
I guess it depends on what would determine when an art moment begins or ends

Did you ever check out the alt lit gossip facebook group/site?

I added a fake account on to it before they closed down the group when shit hit the fan, and yeah it was...SJW if you want to even call it that. It also happened right around the time of Tao being called out for rape with that Yates book.

Basically women started talking about being oppressed at readings, like this one guy who would force women to do sexual favors for him in order for them to get to read. He was sued later I think or was found out, and tried to publicly apologize.

After that and Tao, women started saying that men were undeservedly taking over alt-lit, such as Tao being their representative as a movement.

After that minorities of all kinds back-lashed against the women since those women were white, straight, cis, and well off financially. For example black gay men would make monologue videos about the state of alt-lit and then by hounded for doing so by everyone. This basically for anyone who stated anything EXCEPT

this one chick Alexandra. She alone seemed to survive this whole shit, demanded this other girl who created the facebook group shut down the group because it no longer was a safe space, and then created

Empathy Lit

So sure, if Empathy Lit takes off then I guess Alt-lit is dead (this happened a year or more ago so no, it didnt take off)

Really though it's all retarded and no one cares.
>>
File: calloway.png (161 KB, 600x3262) Image search: [Google]
calloway.png
161 KB, 600x3262
>>7479852
I followed the alt lit gossip tumblr; didn't check it out on fb. I did msg Marie Calloway on fb once and she read my msg but then marked it as unread :'(

I think I know who you're talking about. Women writers would fly in for a reading and crash with him or vice versa and he'd come onto them even after they said they didn't consent. He's one of the guys Elizabeth Ellen was referring to when asking why 1 act (or even a few) is enough to demonize a person's existence for eternity, enough for him to be forced to lose his job and be blacklisted from the community for eternity.

I missed that backlash from minorities, but it doesn't surprise me in the least. Since when were the dominant women writers of any U.S. era not white and well-off?

I vaguely remember Alexandra. I haven't heard much about empathy lit since HTMLGIANT died, so I'm guessing it didn't take off. Or if it did, I'd appreciate if someone could direct me towards it.

If anyone has any suggestions for non-retarded contemporary literary movements, I'm open to those too.
>>
>>7479651

If a movement can be derailed by internet trolls, it wasn't very strong to begin with.
>>
>>7479688

she's writes very short fiction in an authentic voice. usually in first person. i recommend
>>
>alt lit

What is it an alternative to? Good literature?
>>
>>7479651
It's when literature STOPS making people uncomfortable/angry that it will be truly dead.
>>
>>7479760
Every relationship is reducible to a one-to-one, output/input. Processing multiple in parallel has little bearing on your argument, you've missed my point.

As a human you live with and around other humans, you pick up on social queues and mannerisms, your senses are constantly saturated with an endless stream of beautiful details that make up the world, the creases around eyebrows right before they raise to laugh or sneeze, a young and vibrant girl meeting you eye to eye and breaking into a smile, the way someone's lips move and tremble when they are passionate. A human is more than words, they are a face, a body, an actual being.

This should be banally obvious.

To think that somehow the subtleties at play here can be reduced first to the written word, then to the heavily abstracted written word, or static portraits, or staged movements for a crowd, that's some kind of childish make belief.

It's not reality. It's definitely not authentic as an experience grounded in the real. And for the virtuality of it, I can't help but feel it is addictive because like most drugs it takes away more than it gives.

Just think of the way you think
>historically villages
>town scale
>global

You miss my point entirely. Communication, thought, what it is to be human is not the word, spoken or written or otherwise. It is a fullness of experience that comes from inhabiting reality, the clear and present moment of a being (among other things, the recollection of a thing, inventive action, freedom of expression etc). That's what separates you from machine and animal. You aren't just a robot programmed to do certain things. You aren't just a beast, reacting to your environmental conditioning and genetic programming.

Communication is definitely not forced self-animation for a lens, or sitting static scrolling through a blur of abstracted things. Is something being communicated there? Yes, a specious artificiality, a decadent snapshot contrived and controlled, that's fascism.

>great conversation

No friend, I fixated on spoken language to gently remind you of another period in history we did not experience or grow up in, but one of similar technological breakthrough and human expansion. The birth of radio and speaking on a telephone. There was a voyeurism and appeal all together surreal from the previous combined experiences of man. A depraved pseudo-anonymity where one could focus on one sense of receiving information with such intensity that it felt more real and magnified than anything that came before it.

The internet today is humans playing at being robots and sorting themselves into boxes.

What artistic merit or literary insight can be gleaned from this? An allusion to some pathological desire for self-mutilation and destruction? Surely that's well trodden ground. No it seems to me a movement crying for attention. Intellectuals self-congratulating their modernization of ideas while worshipping at the temple of abstraction and reductionism.
>>
>>7479930
What the fuck that is not true
>>
>>7479939
>muh humanity

I was scrolling the front page and just came into this thread to express smug disdain at your spooky as fuck opinions.
>>
>>7479947
>implying you aren't the one who's spooked
>>
>>7479917
kek! that was unironically good
>>
File: bad-dudes-president.png (7 KB, 512x480) Image search: [Google]
bad-dudes-president.png
7 KB, 512x480
exposing the jewish lie is the only brave move left to the author
>>
> the literary movement of the 21st century

dear god help us if this is at all accurate. there is nothing to alt lit beyond empty posturing.
>>
Seems like the perfect way to destroy something completely is to send SJWs after it
>>
I found this piece written by a woman alt lit writer on the whole situation: http://quaintmagazine.com/alt-lit-is-dead-burn-the-corpses-salt-the-bodies/

She writes:

> Isabel Sanhueza, then posted chatlogs of a conversation she had held with Dierks after allegations of his abuse arose. The logs, posted on the Tumblr “Alt Crit”, indicate that Dierks is far more concerned with his own safety and comfort than he is with the affect his actions had on his victims. “I want to be held accountable, but in an educational way,” he says “if I thought I was going to jail id idk kill myself…if anyone is willing to do anything to let this be a non-legal repercussion it would be the greatest mercy of my life”.

Dierks has been accused by two different women of rape, and yet it is of significance to this writer that he doesn't care about his victims. What are we to make of the concern for some trivial moral failing on Dierks part in the face of a horrific crime like rape? Can you imagine saying of an actual rapist " . . . oh and here's the really bad part: he cares more about his own fate the the suffering of his victims!" It is as if on some level she doesn't herself believe the accusations are true.
>>
File: donotwant.jpg (45 KB, 713x729) Image search: [Google]
donotwant.jpg
45 KB, 713x729
>>7479809
>unironically reading derrida
>>
>>7479809
>he's read Derida
>>
>>7480205
>>7481229
>She wants the D...erida
>>
>>7479765
Yeah, took me a minute to figure out what 'muh-sæ-yuh-nay' was supposed to be.
>>
>>7480162
At this point we are all supposed to understand that "rape" doesn't really mean rape, it means being too pushy slash a horny moron. The crime is how uncool it is, and the expulsion of "rapists" in these cliques is just the expulsion of uncool kids from the cool kids table
>>
>>7481501
Please self harm. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>7479651
how can alt lit die, if it never lived
>>
>>7479886
being strong isn't the only caracteristic something can have, rocks are strong but not too good for alimentation. good movements don't requiere being strong.
Just a general consideration, though, I never really loved alt-lit
>>
File: smile pointing.png (121 KB, 444x324) Image search: [Google]
smile pointing.png
121 KB, 444x324
>>7479939
I agree 100% with you, but I do believe that there is a possible expansion on the levels of communication we hace on-line. The most basic example is how you can expand your comment with a picture here, but imagine a video response where you are speaking and showing your face while text is on screen and added pictures have their particular meaning resignified to that new context. Of course it would be a lot of work and unless someone creates a very simplistic interface (and even then) people will chose to comunciate on a robot level because it feels easier to reduce your speech than to learn to expand it in a new language (and even creating and decoding it every day).
I can imagine universes where the internet actually expanded our communitaction, but in here I feel your description of turning ourselves into robots fits perfectly.
>>
>>7480162
Imagine someone apologising for breaking your stuff talking mostly about how little he would like to have his stuff broken. It's a lousy apology.

>>7480205
>ironically reading anything instead of moving on with your life
>>
The movement is filled with the most insufferable white-knight-tier tumblr faggot male-feminists and harping, shrill, grotesquely ugly female feminists, the men wanting to get some emotionally unstable puss and the women absolutey insatiable of attention. Tao Lin stands out in that he has some talent while none of the rest do, however he's still nothing special and I wouldn't read anything else by him, fooled twice.
>>
>>7479881
>I think I know who you're talking about. Women writers would fly in for a reading and crash with him or vice versa and he'd come onto them even after they said they didn't consent. He's one of the guys Elizabeth Ellen was referring to when asking why 1 act (or even a few) is enough to demonize a person's existence for eternity, enough for him to be forced to lose his job and be blacklisted from the community for eternity.
Mistaken, your talking about Stephen Dierks, a known rapist of at least two women, and for that he absolutely not only deserves to lose his job, he deserves to be sent to prison where he deserves to be raped by at least two men. Completely serious. I'm also a man and not a feminist. Ellin's letter also did not defend him as a rapist like you suggested, she merely pointed at how ridiculous the public he said/she said matter was and that the women involved were basically stupid children for not handling their problem like adults (going to the police, getting the fuck away from his apartment after you've been raped and not going back, etc)

Although the fact 'lit' is appended anywhere in some random 20somethings mundane social dramas is appropriation, those people don't care about lit, they're exclusively in it for social validation and attention
>>
>>7479917
R E K T

E

K

T

>>7479930
Yes but this is not about the "literature" making people angry, it's the whinging manchildren and womenchildren who inhabit it
>>
>>7481608
>Ellin's letter also did not defend him as a rapist like you suggested, she merely pointed at how ridiculous the public he said/she said matter was and that the women involved were basically stupid children for not handling their problem like adults (going to the police, getting the fuck away from his apartment after you've been raped and not going back, etc)
Had to re-read the essay after seeing you post this to make sure I hadn't misremembered. Here's some select quotes:
>[Elizabeth's mom, a Second Wave feminist, whom she had written to for her opinion on the Dierks case in search of advice:] “So I read what you forwarded me. my thoughts? Hummm. I wouldn’t call it rape. The Sophia female clearly tried to dissuade him but didn’t say no, didn’t get up and go in the other room, didn’t stop what was going on. I think we’ve all been in situations where we had sex that we really didn’t want to have as we didn’t want to ‘rock the boat’ or didn’t have the nerve to say no and just wanted to get it over with. Who knows what he would have done if she simply said, listen stan, I’m not doing this.

>"I know it took me some time to be able to say no in weird situations and have it turn out ok. I’ve slept with guys in the same bed without having sex and we remained friends. I’ve been in situations where I’ve had sex and got the hell out and said to myself, thank god that’s as bad as it got.

>"Maybe the guy’s a scumbag as some of them say, but I wouldn’t call him a rapist.

>[...]

>This is almost as much as I want to say about that case. Except to say that rape is not a word I throw around casually. It is an extremely damning word and should be treated as such. When the decision was made to make this story public, we all became members of a jury. So I get to say my opinion, too. I echo my mother’s words: maybe the guy’s a scumbag, but I wouldn’t call him a rapist.

>And, yes, there is a goddamn difference.

>To publicly humiliate and shun and incriminate someone to the point his career and public life is over, you better have more evidence than this.

>And you can say I’m shaming the victim. But I say you’re wrong. I am saying there are two victims in the above story. And you’re shaming one and not the other. I’m saying you can’t have it both ways. You can’t hold one accountable and not the other.

In that essay, she also defended Tao Lin, citing the ridiculous arbitrary definitions of age of consent over history.
>I’ll say I remember reading Richard Yates and Taipei and being impressed with the writing but thinking, probably saying, “God, I’d never want to date Tao Lin.”

>I mean, yes, he comes off, in those fictional books, as controlling and nitpicking and manipulating and even occasionally cruel.

>But that doesn’t make him a rapist.

>And since when is emotional abuse grounds for public shunning?

http://www.hobartpulp.com/web_features/an-open-letter-to-the-internet
>>
>>7481608
>>7481663
As an addendum, I'm curious, was Tully Dierks ever formally charged for rape? Or just accused on the internet? I'm sure Lin wasn't sentenced to prison time, because he's been reading all over the country with Mira Gonzalez, but I haven't heard much about Tully Dierks. Do you call him a known rapist because he was found guilty and was sentenced to prison for it?
>>
>>7479717
>this entire fucking post

jesus u need to go outside, get some air, think things over and realize ur FUCKING NUTS MATE
>>
>>7481663
>[Elizabeth's mom, a Second Wave feminist, whom she had written to for her opinion on the Dierks case in search of advice:] “So I read what you forwarded me. my thoughts? Hummm. I wouldn’t call it rape. The Sophia female clearly tried to dissuade him but didn’t say no, didn’t get up and go in the other room, didn’t stop what was going on. I think we’ve all been in situations where we had sex that we really didn’t want to have as we didn’t want to ‘rock the boat’ or didn’t have the nerve to say no and just wanted to get it over with. Who knows what he would have done if she simply said, listen stan, I’m not doing this
this is just idiotic though, Katz did tell him no so I'm not sure where the wires were crossed here, as she mentioned in her essay. On top of that violence is heavily associated with rape, even a manchild like Dierks would have the strength to violently hurt her and force rape if she didn't submit, this is why some girls will call their wishy-washiness rape.
>but I wouldn’t call him a rapist
A man who fucked a girl after she said no? Yeah, I'd call that a rapist
>It is an extremely damning word and should be treated as such
It should be used when that's what happened
>>To publicly humiliate and shun and incriminate someone to the point his career and public life is over, you better have more evidence than this.
This is where I agree, the girls should've gone to the police, Katz is an idiot for staying with him the rest of the weekend. How about saying to his roommates "hey guys, your roommate raped me last night" or calling the police and filing charges instead of letting him walk free to hurt other women? Nope, she wrote a 'thinkpiece' months or years later.
I always keep TLP's epigram in mind on these matters
>that the way to solve women's issues is not necessarily to solve them, but to discuss them in the media.
Absurd.
Lin doesn't deserved to be shunned for his statuatory rape, since consensual sex is not rape, and 16 years old is neither statuatory rape nor is it abnormal to find a 16 year old attractive.
>>
>>7481679
>but I haven't heard much about Tully Dierks
My prediction: he legally changed his name (most likely) since a cursory Google search reveals that he is a known rapist. He's probably masturbating alone in his basement. I also predict no charges were filed, since women are idiots.
>>
>>7481717
>I always keep TLP's epigram in mind on these matters
What's that?
>>
>>7481727
I said it
>that the way to solve women's issues is not necessarily to solve them, but to discuss them in the media.
>>
>>7479717
you're a well-spoken idiot. reconsider your all or nothing thought patterns.
>>
>>7479917
S I M P L Y
D E S T R O Y E D
>>
>>7479939
you're a dumb faggot who likes the sound of his own voice too much to bother to say anything. get over yourself.

>that's fascism

fucking
kek
>>
I've said it a few times on /lit/ but even though I never bothered to read any of the alt-lit writers, who may of all sucked, I am definitely sad that it got shut down, HTML GIANT was a great site and an actual alternative to the usual literary press and an actual attempt to build significant online communities. I wish there were other sites like it.
>>
So basically tldr women ruin everything
>>
>>7482037
The annoying thing here is that any industry where women were found to dominate, and which many men wished to be a part of, would be viewed as an interesting challenge, and would consequently pose a problem to these men, who would seek a solution by obsessively attempting to prove themselves as equals to or superiors to the women in that industry. Women, however, tend to be raised with the notion that they are above all else innocent, fragile individuals whose wants should be sated immediately simply because they are cute or somehow innately worth caring for. They look at successful white male authors, many of whom from a financially poor background, many of whom dissapointed their parents by studying literature in college, many of whom suffer from various forms of mental illness or personality disorders which thankfully at least allows them to feel comfortable writing in isolation, and instead of wanting to compete with them they instead, like bratty children who see other children with nicer toys, complain to the adults in the room to go and remove the toys from these children and give them to her instead. This is not the case with all female writers, and I respect and enjoy too many books by female writers to claim that. Mira Gonzalez is a good example of what I'm talking about. Her writing is about as good as any other person her age who is vaguely cultured, vaguely ambitious and who possesses a somewhat wide frame of reference related to contemporary culture. Instead of working hard to write good poems, or stories, or a novel, or to take seriously the art form she has been so lucky to have been made something of a representative for, she (perhaps realizing her "fame" is mostly down to her once-cute looks and "fuck you dad!" personality) simply lies in bed, watches television shows marketed to children, casually undermines the idea of art on twitter, attacks white males without caring whether or not doing so is hypocritical or naive, praises laziness and gluttony, consumes whatever drugs her environment is able to provide...and so on. This is the image of what many women are aiming for, where people who have not struggled to produce great art are nonethless rewarded with the attention and rewards great art usually earns, and their response to these unearned rewards is very telling. They are like spoilt children, fattened by guilty and ever-willing parents who can only sing the praises of their stupid little chubster as he eats his own shit in the bathtub.
>>
>>7479939
>You aren't just a beast, reacting to your environmental conditioning and genetic programming
Are you this dense?
>>
>>7481746
He probably means to ask what 'TLP' is.
>>
i lived an experience similar to OP. moved to new york after college. worked hard and met alt lit wrtiers in real life, and they were always boring and underwhelming. had to distance myself from several people, and it turned out my judgment was correct when their lives were utterly ruined by events akin to and maybe tied to the tao lin controversy. i'd say alt lit died last year. good riddance.
>>
OP alt lit is most definitely dead. Once Tao Lin got busted it was all over for him. You're acting like SJWs were an existential other, but they never really were. These people were the core of alt lit from the start, they just started getting less and less reasonable.

They were always garbage anyway.
>>
File: dat late 2014 sjw spike.png (18 KB, 880x527) Image search: [Google]
dat late 2014 sjw spike.png
18 KB, 880x527
>>7482452
alt lit might have become a 'thing' in like 2011 when altlitgossip emerged but I would trace its origins to no later than 2008, when Tao Lin formed Muumuu House (HTMLGIANT was founded in 2008 too so it seems an appropriate start date).

SJW as a consolidated idea is a much more recent phenomenon. So maybe those people were part of the core from the start, but the online movement emboldening them wasn't.

I don't think it's over for Tao Lin btw. I think he'll continue to be one of the most hyped writers of his generation, especially among non-traditional novelists.
>>
it's kinda weird how everyone is so concerned about the moral purity of these writers. even if they were serial rapists, they could still write good books. in fact if we look at history it seems like it has been the most immoral individuals who've written the best book.
>>
>>7482604
The New Puritanism wasn't just a 2000 one-off meme literary movement, my friend
>>
>>7482611
isn't*
>>
>reading steve roggencuck

are you retarded
>>
>>7482624
kol (kek out loud)

I had forgotten all about him. Glad to see him used as a meme in 2015.
>>
>>7479939
>>7479717
T O O S P O O K Y
>>
>>7481522
I wish you would be more specific
>>
>>7481543
at my age the only movements I want to be soft are my bowel movements
>>
>>7481574
The author's point is that the nature of the interaction between accuser and accused, in which being a rapist seems to be placed on a moral par with being a selfish apologizer, suggests the possibility that nobody involved really thinks a rape, in the traditional sense of "rape" from which its damning connotations stem, occurred.
>>
>>7481598
I read Taipei and the point of his writing seems to be to honestly portray how thoughtless and inane he is as a person, as if putting an ounce of effort into the writing would have been inauthentic.

And if you think he's lazy, the worthless cunt he porks in Taipei released "Selected blog posts of a mexican panda express employee", which I haven't even read yet because it's literally garbage that should be thrown in the trash. You open up to a page and see stink lines its so fucking stupid and pointless
>>
>>7481722
>reveals that he is a known rapist
No. It doesn't. I just googled and the only citable sources for any of this are what we've been talking about: the public scandal and surrounding essays. Get a grip. You are a quick-to-the-pitchfork sucker for gossip
>>
File: 1450551364516.png (374 KB, 600x870) Image search: [Google]
1450551364516.png
374 KB, 600x870
>>7482174
this is actually an insightful and well-written post
>>
>>7482174
spot on. I think people will pay for the spectacle of unjustifiable excess, and that alt-lit is like the Paris Hilton of literature
>>
>>7481865
Why would you even want an online community, that's terrible.
>>
I don't understand the point of alt lit. What's alternative about it? As far as literary movements go, I can't work out what they're trying to do or say.
>>
>>7482174
>>7482174
>>7482174
THIS

Although I wouldn't necessarily characterize it as so harsh as "whiny", I certainly think there's a type of inherent bias which coddles vocally entitled women in a lot of ways.

The funny thing I notice are the internal contradictions in so much discourse on it. I think that many feminists would argue that men suffer from more mental illnesses than women: be they violent, or otherwise. Some radicals would at any rate, given that they tend to argue for "toxic masculinity".

And yet its PRECISELY this predisposition to illness that characterizes so many geniuses. SO many great writers have various quirk that distinguish them and which shape their unique thinking.
>>
>>7482174
I agree, women are the cause of all problems. Why can't we just get laid, bros?

/bitter white male on 4chan
>>
>>7482174

Nice post, anon. Would read again.
>>
>>7483925
Ever read Paglia, anon?

>Serial or sex murder, like fetishism, is a perversion of male intelligence. It is a criminal abstraction, masculine in its deranged egoism and orderliness. It is the asocial equivalent of philosophy, mathematics and music. There is no female Mozart because there is no female Jack the Ripper.

>Women have been discouraged from genres such as sculpture that require studio training or expensive materials. But in philosophy, mathematics, and poetry, the only materials are pen and paper. Male conspiracy cannot explain all female failures. I am convinced that, even without restrictions, there still would have been no female Pascal, Milton, or Kant. Genius is not checked by social obstacles: it will overcome. Men's egotism, so disgusting in the talentless, is the source of their greatness as a sex. [...] Even now, with all vocations open, I marvel at the rarity of the woman driven by artistic or intellectual obsession, that self-mutilating derangement of social relationship which, in its alternate forms of crime and ideation, is the disgrace and glory of the human species.
>>
>>7483946
Not him, but: good excerpts. might have to check paglia out
>>
>>7483946

Paglia confirmed for awful.
>>
>>7483993
Fuck off Dworkinposter
>>
>>7483080
Cut yourself.
>>
>>7483179
kmao
>>
File: BAS.png (1 MB, 595x763) Image search: [Google]
BAS.png
1 MB, 595x763
BEHEAD ALL SATANS
>>
>>7483995

Hahaha, no. Dworkin is awful too.
>>
File: allthesad.jpg (16 KB, 356x600) Image search: [Google]
allthesad.jpg
16 KB, 356x600
is this alt-lit's citizen kane
>>
>>7483998
Wow wtf
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 297x396) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 297x396
>Caring about alt lit
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.