[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The meaning of life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11
File: 1422398282376.png (58 KB, 636x674) Image search: [Google]
1422398282376.png
58 KB, 636x674
The only correct course for humanity is to collectively contribute 100% of time and energy into unlocking immortality

prove me wrong
>>
I don't want to be immortal; we weren't meant to be immortal.
>>
File: ideology.png (504 KB, 454x600) Image search: [Google]
ideology.png
504 KB, 454x600
>>
>>7479076
the meaning of life is just to be yourself; if you do that you unlock true happiness
>>
>>7479090
then you'e free to die, friendo
>>
>>7479076
What if we achieve immortality then? Why not die? Everyone would eventually die of their own choosing: we would ourselves would be the only disease.
>>
We already know how to be immortal.
>>
>>7479076
Arguably the course Humanity is taking is to the stars to create a space harboring civilization.The correct course of humanity being Immortality don't people get sick of living as they get older so they just wanna die anyway? and then that doesn't serving humanity as a whole, that serves the immortals lol
>>
Why do you want to make the nightmare eternal?
>>
File: AubreyDeGrey.jpg (2 MB, 4928x3280) Image search: [Google]
AubreyDeGrey.jpg
2 MB, 4928x3280
>implying based beard man won't save us
>>
I don't know about you guys but I want to be a ghost. Imagine being able to drift around the world and just watch.
>>
>>7479076
>>7479305

Arguably the course of humanity is both before they begin trying to find a way to reverse entropy so the universe doesn't fade out of existence
>>
>>7479076
No, it's working towards converting all matter in the universe to hedonium.
>>
>>7479076
Of course you feel that way
You have a never ending will to life
It's not the truth though
>>
Once william pierce said that cattle die kinsman die so one musts die oneself but there is one thing i know which never dies which is the fame of a dead mans deeds.
>>
>>7479387
I think William Pierce was trying to immortalize himself with that quote :^)
>>
>>7479479
>we weren't meant to be immortal.
Elaborate please.
>>
Gawd. Fucking drivel
>>
honestly how probable is it that we will see immortality in our lifetime.

I feel like we will see it come in some form. however I'm concerned about who will get it, or how it will be controlled
>>
KILL THE IMMORTALS
>>
>>7479076
So we may suffer for eternity?

The only humanitarian course of action is complete and speedy euthanasia of earth's biosphere

The only humane argument for holding off earthly euthanasia is that it is most ethical to stay alive as a species long enough to build machines capable of ensuring universal termination of all possibility of life, thus utterly ending and preventing suffering.

420 blaze it faggots
>>
>>7479387
Zhuangzi said that the spring mushroom knows nothing of winter. That which is short knows nothing of what is long. The sparrow flies no more than 100 feet and laughs at the great bird borne aloft to the heavens on a journey of 10000 miles, unable to imagine the purpose of such fuss, while the great bird merely goes about its necessary business.

W P is a mushroom.
>>
>>7479076
I agree with you entirely. Imagine the exponential scientific findings when research is never left half-done because of a retired or deceased scientist. Although life, for me, is pain, I'd still take immortality as so more and more of the unknown becomes known - more and more of the unseen becomes seen.
>>
Why?

In actuality, it is mysticism. All other pursuits are arbitrary.
>>
Why try and stop death when we don't know what lies beyond it?
>>
I'd rather die thanks.
>>
>>7479296
this you morons. transcendence through the evolution of consciousness is a thing thats been the essence of spirituality for all of human history
>>
>>7479076
as if labor power wasn't already devalued enough, now you want to remove its sell by date?
>>
File: 1433915593028.jpg (11 KB, 300x223) Image search: [Google]
1433915593028.jpg
11 KB, 300x223
Only the consumption of one's own precious semen unlocks Heaven's doorway of immortality. Within it is contained the breath of creation.
- Lao Tzu
>>
>>7479898
kek'd but he still never said that. sorry bro
>>
>>7479076
Hate to be the one to say this, but the Bible proved you wrong a long time ago
>>
Immortality is physically impossible anyway, you'd die eventually even if it would take a freak black hole slingshotted towards your planet at relativistic speeds. A long life is worthless in and of itself.
>>
File: kubrick hitler.jpg (72 KB, 334x450) Image search: [Google]
kubrick hitler.jpg
72 KB, 334x450
>>7479076
>Kubrick: I will say that the God concept is at the heart of 2001—but not any traditional, anthropomorphic image of God. I don’t believe in any of Earth’s monotheistic religions, but I do believe that one can construct an intriguing scientific definition of God, once you accept the fact that there are approximately 100 billion stars in our galaxy alone, that its star is a life-giving sun and that there are approximately 100 billion galaxies in just the visible universe. Given a planet in stable orbit, not too hot and not too cold, and given a few billion years of chance chemical reactions created by the interaction of sun’s energy on the planet’s chemicals, it’s fairly certain that life in one form or another will eventually emerge. It’s reasonable to assume that there must be, in fact, countless billions of such planets where biological life has arisen, and the odds of some proportion of such life developing intelligence are high. Now, the sun is by no means an old star, and its planets are mere children in cosmic age, so it seems likely that there are billions of planets in the universe not only where intelligent life is on a lower scale than man but other billions where it is approximately equal and others still where it is hundreds of thousands of years in advance of us. When you think of the giant technological strides that man has made in a few millennia—less than a microsecond in the cosmology of the universe—can you imagine the evolutionary development that much older life forms have taken? They may have progressed from biological species, which are fragile shells for the mind at best, into immortal machine entities—and then, over innumerable eons, they could emerge from the chrysalis of matter transformed into beings of pure energy and spirit. Their potentialities would be limitless and their intelligence ungraspable by humans.

is this our future?
>>
File: 20300542519510140137273064163.jpg (21 KB, 304x403) Image search: [Google]
20300542519510140137273064163.jpg
21 KB, 304x403
CHAPTER XI
THE FOLLY OF DESIRE FOR LONG LIFE

MENG-SUN-YANG asked Yang Chu:

"There are men who cherish life and care for their bodies with the intention of grasping immortality. Is that possible?"

Yang Chu replied:

"According to the laws of nature there is no such thing as immortality."

Meng-sun-Yang: "Yet is it possible to acquire a very long life?"

Yang Chu: "According to the laws of nature there is no such thing as a very long life. Neither can life be preserved by cherishing or the body benefited by fostering."

Meng-sun-Yang: "What would be a long life?"

"All things were the same as they are now. The five good and bad passions were of old as they are now. So also the safety and peril of the four limbs. Grief and joy for the things of this world were of old as they are now, and the constant change of peace and revolution. Having seen and heard all these things, one would already be awearied of it at the age of a hundred. How much more after a very long life!"

Meng-sun-Yang: "If it be so a sudden death would be preferable to a long life; therefore we ought to run on to a pointed sword or jump into deep water to have what our heart yearns for."

Yang Chu: "No. Having once come into life regard it and let it pass; mark its desires and wishes, and so wait death.

"When death comes, disregard it and let it come. Mark what it brings you, and be drifted away to annihilation.

"If you pay no regard to life and death, and let them be as they are, how can you be anxious lest our life should end too soon?"
>>
>>7479121
the self is superfluous

>>7479076
the true purpose in life is to experience it, no more no less
>>
>>7480056
>drawing a division between mind and body
>muh surely exponential technological strides with no limit
>'pure energy and spirit'

I've said it once and I'll say it again/
the Singularity is the Rapture for nerd manchildren
>>
time is a spook
>>
it is all for the children

being immortal would make children pointless

being immortal is pointless
>>
File: Morgan_Freeman.jpg (19 KB, 335x250) Image search: [Google]
Morgan_Freeman.jpg
19 KB, 335x250
>>7480295
This right here. Don't let time get to you, it can only get to you if it's already there; a 5D existence would not think like we do.
>>
File: 1437207424805.jpg (4 KB, 110x125) Image search: [Google]
1437207424805.jpg
4 KB, 110x125
>>7479090
>meant
>>
>>7479076
Immortality means just having same thought, and variations of same thought and over again. While some moments of mortal life are important, or beautifull, there is no such moment in immortal man life, because there is no unique moments.
Borges "Alef"
>>
Not so sure we can live forever. There is always the universe ending and stuff. Also, if the chances of dying in an accident are, for example, 0.01% each day - The chance of having an accident becomes almost a 100% in an eternal life.
That's without even considering the experience of living forever as a human being. Just accept that the concept of being alive is not perfect.
>>
File: islam.png (88 KB, 1437x909) Image search: [Google]
islam.png
88 KB, 1437x909
>>7479076
immortality was unlocked a long time ago
>>
File: 1444290552423.jpg (9 KB, 161x300) Image search: [Google]
1444290552423.jpg
9 KB, 161x300
>>7480394
Really looking forward to the Feminism vs Islam ultimate legendary championship ideological deathbattle.
>>
>>7480535
my money's on the patriarchy
>>
>>7479898
iirc they write semen and vital life energy with the same character.
>>
>>7479090
It's not that we aren't meant to be, rather that immortality is not possible, plain and simple. It isn't something you can experience.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.