[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How old is too old?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
File: aging.jpg (51 KB, 698x362) Image search: [Google]
aging.jpg
51 KB, 698x362
Hey /lit/. I'm 31.

On one hand, I still haven't finished my debut. On the other hand, I don't have a couple piles of shit to my name.

How old is too old, /lit/?

Looking for inspiring stories of people who debuted late, and disheartening stories to make me wallow in misery and quit the arts altogether.
>>
How well-read are you is the real question?

We don't need any more writers who don't read saturating the market with their semi-illiterate garble desu.
>>
>>7478253
You're not too old to produce something meaningful, but you are too old to still be on this godforsaken site. Leave. Save yourself.
>>
Allan Rickman didn't into acting until he was like 41.
>>
>>7478262

That's just not true at all.
>>
>>7478259

That's probably fair. I'm not always here, but I come back from time to time.
>>
No such thing as. There's only too uninteresting
>>
>>7478283

I lean toward this view. Though, I admit, I worry about it more often than I should.
>>
>>7478253
You have more life experience to work with for material. Unless ofc you spent all your time on 4chan.
>>
>>7478262
>>7478268
I read his Wikipedia page quickly and this is just utterly false.
>>
Milton didn't publish until he was older, didn't he?
>>
Nell Zink
>>
>>7478319
he planned his whole life though
>>
>>7478323

Can you expound on that? Not a thesis or anything, just quick summary because I'm interested.
>>
>>7478262
What a nice and simple troll. No mean spiritness, no pretention. If Micheal Palin was an internet troll this is the kind of ruse he would make. I like you anon.
>>
Tolkien was retired before LotR made any decent money.
>>
>>7478253
Some big writers never got established or even started until their mid 30s.

>William S Burroughs; dindnt start writing until 30s, and was merely a well educated homosexual drug addict who hung out with college kids before that,

>Henry Miller; leaves department job in NY in his 30s that was driving him crazy and causing him to contemplate suicide, moves to Paris and begins writing after years of just thinking about it.

Neither of these individuals showed any potential sign they would be good authors besides a high general intelligence. But they discovered they had a knack for it even later in the game.
>>
DFW didn't start writing fiction until he was already an old faggot corrupted by a pop culture obsession and delusions of grandeur
>>
>>7478363

I knew about Burrough's story, but I wasn't aware of Miller's. I'll look into it more. Thanks.
>>
>>7478363
And both are edgy shitwriters.
>>
jimmy wasn't young when his work came out
>>
>>7478253
31 is still young for a writer. there ya go, now stop being a faggot
>>
Alice munro published first time in her late 30s, just won nobel for literature

But the truth is she was rausing kids, you're probably at optimal capacity already

If i'm wrong, you'll change something abt your life, write everday, and tap heretofore unknown talent

Possibke, Unlikely
>>
George saunders
>>
>>7478395

Didn't he publish poems in his mid 20's?

I guess Dubliners and Portrait were both early 30's.
>>
>>7478387
Miller is fucking based
>>
>>7478428
yup, his poems are considered not very good though

not by me, i like them
>>
>>7478387
Edgy, yes, but original. What do you know?

Karl Ove Knausgaard is basically famous for being a Norwegian Miller, and Miller was badass enough to get his books banned in the US for decades and writes like Nietzsche on amphetamines.

Burroughs deserves props for writing about his unabashed portrayal of homosex in times when this was an edgy, illegal thing and for being transgressive before it was fashionable.
>>
>>7478545

Have you read Knausgaard? Be honest.
>>
>>7478545
How is Knausgaard the Norwegiam Miller?
>>
>>7478386
Another one : haruki murakami (love or hate him). I thin his story is amusing.

According to his writer origin story, while in his 30s he was simply sitting at a baseball game and just as one of the players hit a homerun he had a like satori-zen-moment-flash in his head and realized right then and there he should go home and write a novel.

Before that he was just a laid back guy who ran a bar, drinking, chain smoking and and listening to music with no further ambitions.
>>
>>7478387
Burroughs is arguably either an autistic sperg faggot or a modern day genius, but Miller? He's leagues above Bukowski and other edgelords.
>>
If you have been reading lots the entire time its never too late.

You might not have a meme author lifestyle, but to create a work of beauty its never too late.

This fetishization of young authors is a capitalist retard movement anyways.

people think you need to publish before you are 20 now. Romans recommended you sit on work for 20 years to see if its timeless lest you ruin your name eternally.
>>
>>7478579
The obsessive recollection and stream of consciousness , the elaborate autobiography and personal disclosure mixed with musings and reflections about life and the world, the frank depictions of sexuality--all of that was first done by Miller.

Knausgaard is just drier, more matter of factly, more wry version of Miller.
>>
>>7478596
yeah but then again the romans produced maybe 3 worthwhile writers so maybe dont take their advice too seriously.
>>
>>7478634
If you really cut down on modern writers, especially adjusting for the greater amount of people who are able to dedicate time to writing now, you end up with about the same DESU.
>>
>>7478634
>>7478667

Yeah, 2000 years from now, there may be more than 3 (because of how easy it is to store data and how conscious we are of it), but it's not hard to see why we don't have a lot left from them.

Ancient Greek Tragedy, for example, there's literally 3. Sophocles, Euripides, and Aeschylus.
>>
>>7478253
Jose Saramago published his first novel at 25, but published his second novel when he was 53, and was 60 by the time he published anything noteworthy.
>>
Rimbaud didn't begin writing poetry until he was well into his late 30s.
>>
It's never to late to create, just don't be redundant and don't pander.
>>
>>7481488
nice
>>
>>7478253
Read up on Donald Ray Pollock or Marlon James.

Truly the kings of /lit/ writer wannabes, both got their start very very late in life.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.