[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are your experiences with trying to get published? Magazines,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: Penguin-Random-image-.jpg (15 KB, 214x300) Image search: [Google]
Penguin-Random-image-.jpg
15 KB, 214x300
What are your experiences with trying to get published? Magazines, novels, etc.
>>
As for me, I've only been published a few times.
>>
>>7479134
tell us more
>>
>>7479140
I've only been writing since 2012, and I'd submit something to a magazine once or twice a year.

I feel fortunate, because I usually don't have to wait that long for acceptances. I just wonder if some magazines even read my submissions.
>>
Let's say you write a novel.
How do you even pick where or who to send it to? Does it even matter?

The process sounds fun.

Not that I would know, I don't even write.
>>
>>7479153
The way I've heard, is to build a portfolio and get an agent to fight for you.
>>
got rejected to a magazine once never tried again.

published on TAR and in local zines, but now i just post my stuff on my blog
>>
>>7479153
Send it to an agent that has sold similar work to yours. If they like it they'll try to sell it to a publishing house. The agent themselves may ask for revisions.

Or you can self publish and try to promote your own work. If successful enough, a publishing house may notice and pick you up.
>>
Not me, but Dick Masterson, author of Men Are Better Than Women, said it was very hard for him to get published, as most of the publishing industry is female.
>>
>>7479153
depends where you are, England, Australia, New Zealand --really any Commonwealth country you can submit straight to the publisher. Otherwise an agent is your best bet.
>>
>>7479431
I doubt that's true, i think many publishers thought his book would be too risky and not sell.
>>
>>7479630

What about publishing internationally?

Let's say you're from any random non english speaking country, can you still or is it advisable to publish internationally? Considering you decide to write in English.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.