[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished a French 101 class. I have to take another French
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 500x595) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 500x595
Just finished a French 101 class. I have to take another French class for my degree but I won't be able to take it until the fall semester. Recommending fairly easy French books to read so I don't forget all that I've learned before then.
>>
>>7477825
>have to take another French class for my degree

What degree?
>>
>>7477825

French 101? I'd guess that's probably getting you to A2 or B1 level. Read stupid shit like Camus. If you want to build a vocab quickly, read Flaubert.
>>
>>7477840
Bachelors in Digital Media Production.

>inb4 why are you wasting your time on such a pleb degree?
It's what I like, mang. I'm not competent enough for a STEM degree.
>>
camus
>>
File: 1429130924251.png (103 KB, 624x434) Image search: [Google]
1429130924251.png
103 KB, 624x434
>>7477867
Hey relax m8, I study Classics with a major in Classical Greek and everyone tells me what a waste of time that is all the time too.

That said, what do you need French for in Digital Media Production though?
>>
>>7477882
To quote someone (don't remember who):

"Like my hand on a Saturday night, it beats the fuck out of me."
>>
>>7477894
kek, good answer I guess.
>>
>>7477825
If you're new to a language, then read stuff that's not originally written in said language. Translations remove a lot of the nuances from the language of the novel, but when you're new to a language it's not a bad thing.

Read Zweig's work translated to french. "Le Joueur d'échecs" is phenomenal.
>>
Camus and Ionesco's plays are easy to read but still good.
>>
Whoever told you could read a book after a 101 introduction course lied. At a college level, it's almost the equivalent to learn to count to ten.
>>
>>7477958
Tbh, I've just done Attic Greek 101, and I can read a lot more than I thought after just 6 months.
>>
>>7477973
How much credits does this course worth? Three, four credits? How many hours a week does it represent? Reading light material with ease requires years of training and a genuine, day-to-day study. Deciphering Albert Camus—I laugh a bit every time I see this suggestion—and spending half a minute on each word isn't “reading” and surely isn't a proper way to achieve a decent proficiency. He needs to focus on dedicated learning material, workbooks and manuals, dive in grammar study and limit his reading to carefully selected articles. A book or even a short story with this amount of knowledge acquired is a pure waste of time. He should review his vocabulary, listen to French and read a lot about French language or France culture while waiting for the next semester.
>>
>>7477973

This. I'm more about trying to solidify the sentence structure and stuff in my mind. Moreover, if I can find some books that use small words in sure my reading comprehension would improve over time.

I'm also dedicating time to translating song lyrics into French but I'm pretty sure my sentence structures are all fucked up.

Do French people have language workbooks for their equivalent of 6th graders that I can buy from Amazon or something. I like French and I actually want to learn it pretty bad, but I want to learn it on my own pace. And I also don't want to fail my class next year
>>
>>7478002
It was 6 hours of classes, 2 hours every other day, but I'm an autist when it comes to languages so I studied a lot by myself.

I mean, you're probably right that it's not possible to read a book after just a 101 class most of the time, maybe I'm just a freak of nature.

As for your caveats pointed towards him, I agree, he should do all of those things.
>>
>>7478009
You shouldn't read more than what's in the textbooks and/or articles. As of the native workbooks, for sure they have. I collect them, I noticed a severe decline in quality over the years.

>>7478010
Still a pretty light position to read a book. Head for short stories, then. And Anki/grammar.
>>
Le Petit Prince. Read it and love it.
>>
>>7478042
>>7478042

I can't read that. I read it in English and that book made me sob like an infant.
>>
>>7478051

Even better. You now know what's it about so you will have less difficulty with following the narrative. Read it aloud with an exaggerated accent and enjoy the experience.
>>
Ionesco is quite easy (even though it's not very good)
>>
Double bump
>>
File: il_340x270.520087493_7z6c.jpg (47 KB, 340x270) Image search: [Google]
il_340x270.520087493_7z6c.jpg
47 KB, 340x270
>>7477825
>>
>>7477882
I just got a degree in economics and am increasingly annoyed that I didn't study philosophy/classic history and lit. I spend all of my free time reading the shit anyway and I could have learned Latin or Ancient Greek in school, and am now having a hell of a time finding classes to learn them as a college grad to, not to mention trying to justify the cost of something I basically could have done for free if I got into it earlier.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.