[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why live if you are going to die anyway and nothing really matters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7
File: ews_pinkpussycat.jpg (384 KB, 1000x748) Image search: [Google]
ews_pinkpussycat.jpg
384 KB, 1000x748
why live if you are going to die anyway and nothing really matters?
>>
>>7477148

Why die if you're going to live anyway and nothing really matters?
>>
Why not?
>>
the moral law obliges you to preserve your own life
>>
>>7477152
cuz its meaningless
>>
>>7477161
So? Death is equally meaningless. Whether or not you dare to eat a peach has nothing to do with the "meaning" of the action.
>>
>>7477148
Should I watch this? i was planning to.
>>
you go to >>>/his/

fucking report and sage, cancerpost
>>
File: 1421589057817.jpg (59 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
1421589057817.jpg
59 KB, 500x331
>>7477148
>>
>>7477349
its a good movie. zizek talked about the impotence of male fantasy in comparision to female's, thats an interesting filter to watch it imo.
>>
>>7477349
One of his most underrated films.
>>
>>7477148
actually, dying is the sole purpose for anything to matter

imagine life without pain or uncertainty of death, you will have no motivation to do anything whatsoever
>>
Another victim of modernity. Why do you think nothing matters? Because you can't think past the societal denial of the most basic ontological questions any being with a consciousness carries with them every moment of every day. What/who am I? Am I living a life true to myself? What is the meaning humanity? What is purpose? As if these things have been answered already. When will people realize that instead of utterly negating the question of meaning in relation to being, which goes completely against your own nature, one should rise to meet the question with HONESTY and COURAGE. Is this not the ultimate implication of New Sincerity? Sincerity in intellectual rigor, in the consideration of institutions and of society itself and in what is essential to human fulfillment. Why are people so reluctant to pry themselves from their accepted opinions to even entertain the possibility of an alternative? Even when it could mean liberation from liberation- resurrection from a spiritual kind of death ?
>>
>>7477349
yes
>>
>These things they thought, and were deceived: for their own malice blinded them. And they knew not the secrets of God, nor hoped for the wages of justice, nor esteemed the honour of holy souls. For God created man incorruptible, and to the image of his own likeness he made him. But by the envy of the devil, death came into the world: And they follow him that are of his side.

>Now therefore, ye children, hear me: Blessed are they that keep my ways. Hear instruction and be wise, and refuse it not. Blessed is the man that heareth me, and that watcheth daily at my gates, and waiteth at the posts of my doors. He that shall find me, shall find life, and shall have salvation from the Lord: But he that shall sin against me, shall hurt his own soul. All that hate me love death.

>Jesus saith to her: Thy brother shall rise again. Martha saith to him: I know that he shall rise again, in the resurrection at the last day. Jesus said to her: I am the resurrection and the life: he that believeth in me, although he be dead, shall live: And every one that liveth, and believeth in me, shall not die for ever. Believest thou this? She saith to him: Yea, Lord, I have believed that thou art Christ the Son of the living God, who art come into this world.

>And there was a great battle in heaven, Michael and his angels fought with the dragon, and the dragon fought and his angels: And they prevailed not, neither was their place found any more in heaven. And that great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, who is called the devil and Satan, who seduceth the whole world; and he was cast unto the earth, and his angels were thrown down with him. And I heard a loud voice in heaven, saying: Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: because the accuser of our brethren is cast forth, who accused them before our God day and night. And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of the testimony, and they loved not their lives unto death. Therefore rejoice, O heavens, and you that dwell therein. Woe to the earth, and to the sea, because the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, knowing that he hath but a short time.
>>
>>7477529
Except fear is not our only motivator, but love also; and love is in principle a stronger motivator than love, as evidenced by those who are willing to die for those they love.
>>
>>7477576
>and love is in principle a stronger motivator than love,
than fear*
>>
>>7477529
>imagine life without pain or uncertainty of death, you will have no motivation to do anything whatsoever
what about Buddhist monks or Yogis? They've transcended the duality of pain and pleasure and the fear of death and they are the happiest,most self-assured individuals you'll ever meet.

the fetishisation of pain needs to stop 2bh.
>>
I never had a nihilist phase. I would say the closest I ever got was solipsism. Sometimes I still wonder if I just live in some kind of pocket universe made specifically for my mind and everything revolves around me.

That being said, if nothing really matters, your best bet is to just live your life on a hedonistic basis. If we're all dead in the long run and there's nothing after death then you should probably focus on what will bring you the most pleasure. And that's not necessarily sex and drugs. Maybe you would feel happiest and most fulfilled if you had a loving family or a girlfriend or something. Do that.
>>
>>7477542
sophistry
>>
>>7477152
life is more unpleasant than pleasant
>>
>>7477349
What movie is this?
>>
File: pffft.gif (927 KB, 410x282) Image search: [Google]
pffft.gif
927 KB, 410x282
>>7477154
>moral law
>>
>>7477663
Eyes Wide Shut
>>
Seriously guise, what is that movie in the OP?
>>
>>7477674
Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut
>>
>>7477148
To see what happens. We have no reason to believe that anything will be experienced after death, or that you can return to the realm of the living once you leave, so you might as well see what goes down here first. It's a big world, and you're an idiot if you think you've exhausted it.
>>
>>7477349

Yes. Brilliant underrated film. The masked ball scene is incredible.
>>
>>7477148
why think if you're going to think useless thoughts anyways
>>
>>7477148
Why listen to some amazing music when all songs end anyway?
>>
>>7477640
you're blind
>>
>>7477996
There is the expectation that we can again listen to the songs once they end and that the listening to music is a net pleasurable experience.
>>
>>7477161
This isn't an argument in favor of suicide.

Possibly a strong refutation would be that suicide is less of a bother than going through the pains of living, however that comes down to the individual's mathematics. An argument in favor of life is that the future is unknown: by continuing to reproduce you are purchasing a ticket for your genes to stay on the ride of life. Your children have the potential to live lives of such pleasure that all the pain of our ancestors could be considered a worthy trade.

It's a lottery though. Could go the other way. Also views that pleasure and pain are fungible across generations, if you don't see that, what I've argued holds no water.
>>
>>7477148
I still have pussy smell on me from the other day and I would like to get some more. Literally, the only thing that keeps me going.
>>
>>7477576
>>>7477529
>love is in principle a stronger motivator than fear

This is an untrue bias you have. People feel pain far more than they feel pleasure. If one is stronger than the other, pain (which fear is the shadow of) is clearly the strongest. Love may occasionally win out over pain, but it will tend to lose.
>>
>>7477148
>why live if you are going to die anyway and nothing really matters?

Dont kid yourself, nothing doesn't matter either.
>>
>>7477148
cause theres stuff I wanna do before I have to leave this gay earth.

nothing matters so just be a cool guy and have fun
>>
daily reminder that you will forget you even participated in this thread and every word you're now reading in a matter of hours, as if you never visited it. your present will have never existed in your future, and so on.
>>
>>7477148
out of habit
>leave
>read more
>then come back
>>
File: banderas laptop.webm (575 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
banderas laptop.webm
575 KB, 1280x720
>>7478125
>Dont kid yourself, nothing doesn't matter either.
top tier post
>>
File: BAS.png (1 MB, 595x763) Image search: [Google]
BAS.png
1 MB, 595x763
BEHEAD ALL SATANS
>>
>>7477529
While knowing that you will die eventually may lead to more meaningful pursuits its definitely not the sole purpose for anything to matter. Society as a whole would, imo, be much healthier without the prospect of death.
>>
To love
>>
File: dfsky4.png (18 KB, 512x220) Image search: [Google]
dfsky4.png
18 KB, 512x220
>>7478306
>>
>>7478299
>Society as a whole would, imo, be much healthier without the prospect of death.

I disagree but respect that opinion

I work with dying people and this probably influenced my opinion a lot but I accept evil as it is. Like that chapter in BK.
>>
>>7477148
Cause you are going to die anyway and it might be fun.
>>
>>7477161
How did you acquire the ideology where meaningless implies termination of whatever the meaningless object is?

Doesn't sound very nihilistic to me.
Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.