[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Students of /lit/, what do you study? Simple poll for gener
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1
Students of /lit/, what do you study?

Simple poll for general overview: https://www.strawpoll.me/6299132
>>
>all these fellow STEMfags

Wow, didn't realize that we were so many
>>
I studied

F I N A N C E
I
N
A
N
C
E

with minors in English and Chemistry
>>
>>7477087
>pick one
Both desu
>>
>>7477172
>https://www.strawpoll.me/6299132
don't think it should be surprising; 4chan, despite it's relative mainstreamness now, is still very much dominated by STEMlords. STEMs are by far more likely to be interested in "spooky hacker website" than arts folks, and have the technological sophistication/knowhow (again, thi sis a very low bar, but it's still there) to come on the site. despite all the memeing /lit/ is no different.
>>
>>7477238
I was about to call you a faggot and that the determination that /lit/ is all stem lords from 20 votes is ridiculous. But, that's probably half the people that visit here regularly. What happened to our town.
>>
German literature, and philosophy.

Eh, who cares about money? I live in one of the richest countries in the world, I will get throught life just fine.
>>
>>7477285
I'd like to talk to you about german literature, esp pre wwii
>>
>>7477297
>>7477285
I'm trying to learn german. At some point I got a book of German poetry from 1910-1960 with English translations side by side. Do you have any favorite poets from that era?
Also, is reading german this way stupid, should I just stick to news sites?
>>
>>7477297
Well, uh, what do you want to talk about? I'm off in like half an hour by the way.

>>7477302
I absolutely love the german poetry of the 1910s. Georg Heym and Jakob van Hoddis would be among my favourites.

What do you mean, is it stupid? As in, when trying to learn german? Well in that case I don't think reading poetry would be that helpful, so yeah, stick to prose and non-fiction. A tip: basically everything ever written has been translated into german, so pick up one of your favourite books in german, and read it side by side with a version in your language. (Ideally it was written in your language originally. Also, maybe start with an easier book, still, until you get better.)
>>
Both actually, studied CS until I got a cool job, now I study Literary science.
>>
>>7477329
What the fuck is Literary Science?
>>
>>7477336
Probably a direct translation of what literary studies is called in anon's first language.
>>
>>7477336
Not that guy but english is a special case to separate "humanities" and "science" like that. For example, in german we use "Wissenschaft" (it means "science", but more literally it would be "knowledgeship") for basically everything, and divide it in "Geisteswissenschaft" (science of mind) and "Naturwissenschaft" (science of nature).

So rather than "literature" here you study "Literaturwissenschaft".
>>
>>7477344
>>7477350
Oh.
>>
>>7477350
Has anyone studied how much more worn German shift keys are?
>>
>>7477354
That falls under Tastaturwissenschaft.
>>
>>7477356
Heh.
>>
5 year psychologist program (theoretical and applied psychology)
>>
5 year CS programme here. I'm a firm believer in the 'unification' of the Two Cultures - anyone worth their salt should know both the arts and the natural sciences.
>>
Film studies major bb
>>
comp lit., film studies and ancient greek.

i dont have a life.
>>
>>7478617
> CS
> arts and natural sciences
pick one
>>
i have an english degree with a writing emphasis. i concentrated on poetry but am learning novel writing now.

i've also "studied" martial arts/fencing, drugs, cars.
>>
>>7478640

It's a five-year Computer Science and Engineering programme with a focus mainly on mathematics and CS, but also a lot of physics. I don't think anyone would contend that it belongs to the natural sciences.

But learning the arts is something we have to do on our own free time, which is what I meant.

And I think you'll find that the fundamentals of CS are those of Logic and thus probably closer to the original vision of the arts than many modern liberal arts college educations are today.
>>
English and Spanish Literature :)
>>
>no teachers

i'm not surprised you socially-awkward geeks can't handle social interactions daily
>>
>>7478676
real physics or physics for engineers?
>>
>>7478684

Only physics for engineers, sadly, you win that one. Though I'll try to read up on real physics when I have time (and perhaps pick some better courses as electives later).
>>
>MechE plus a 24 credit-hour transcripted certificate in creative writing
Yies
>>
philosophy
>>
i graduated with a degree in linguistics earlier this year
>>
What do I study? I study human nature.
>>
>>7477087
Didn't go to college and I live in the woods
>checkmate wageslaves
>>
forensic psych
so soft/social science and criminal justice
>>
>>7478864
what do you do now
>>
Does Law count as Arts or Other?
>>
>>7480421

Other
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.