[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you identify with him?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (40 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40 KB, 400x400
Do you identify with him?
>>
>>7476960
No, I don't rape my sister, phoebe.
>>
>>7476960
I used to

and I still do to an extent, cause think about it, some of his anger is pretty universal and rational, I think that one writer, whoever it was, explained it really well
>>
I used to. What >>7476965 said is true too.
Holden is a whiny bitch, but goddamn if he doesn't have at least some valid points.
>>
>>7476960
Still do, but y'know, I don't go about whining about it.
>>
The Catcher in the Rye is one of the best books ever written
>>
>>7477019
Kill yourself.
>>
>>7477019
No, it isn't. Not even the top 50.
>>
>>7477048
>>7477057
Name me a book in it's genre that's better.
>>
>>7477065
What's the genre.
>>
>>7477070
Coming of age
>>
>>7477070
young adult trash
>>
>>7477075
To Kill a Mockingbird, The Outsiders, Huckleberry Finn, etc.

It's a shit book anon.

>>7477076
kek
>>
>>7477076
How the fuck is TCITR young adult?

It lacks any of the "YOLO I'm a kid" shit of young adult novels
>>
>>7477065
If you consider anything with a realistic setting, characters, and events to be realistic fiction, then the list becomes too large for one post, so I'll just go with the best of the best: Ulysses, The Recognitions, The Tunnel, Women and Men.
>>
>>7477079
>to kill a mockingbird
>the outsiders
You can't be fucking serious.
>>
>>7477086
I am. They are much better books than Catcher in the Rye.
>>
File: troll.jpg (181 KB, 1700x1080) Image search: [Google]
troll.jpg
181 KB, 1700x1080
>>7477090
>>
>>7477092
I'm not trolling. You've got some seriously shit taste if you think a book about a whiny little bitch of a teenager is the best book of all time.
>>
>>7477095
>holden
>whiny

Yeah, you're full of shit.
>>
>>7477099
I think you're the troll here. Either that, or you haven't even read the book.
>>
>>7477102
I love how not fitting into the role you're forced into is being considered whiny now.
>>
>>7477109
He should have sucked it up like every other teenager or just kill himself from the start.
>>
>>7477109
>not fitting into the role you're forced into
>not whiny
I'm sorry, but how much of a bitch can you be to not suck it up? Only children and weak personalities do this. That's what growing into a mature adult means.
>>
>wah I didn't like the protagonist
>therefore the book is shit
>>
>>7477185
When the entire book is written in the first person from the single protagonist's perspective, a shit protagonist is a very big deal.
>>
>>7477194
maybe for your enjoyment but not for the quality of the book
why do I have to do 2 captchas what the fuck
>>
>>7476965
same
>>
>>7477205
A good book is either something that you enjoy, or something that makes you think. An excellent book does both. This book does neither, because it's told entirely from the perspective of a whiny little brat. Hell, I read this in high school, at an age where I'm *supposed* to identify with Holden, and even then I thought he was a whiny little brat.
>>
>>7477205
probably because your excessive amount of shitposting
>>
no but many identity as being someone who knows "that kind of teenager."
>>
>>7476960
The book is loved because everyone can relate to him. And then people claim "I hate Holden, you're supposed to hate him!" Because they are trying to hide their ugly side from themselves in the world.
>>
>>7477079
>It's a shit book anon

Pretty contrarian opinion. Anon must know a lot about books
>>
>>7476960
I think there's three phases reader's go through with Holden.
The first is relating to him, the second is hating him because they used to identify with him, and the third is pitying him because they see him as the damaged child that he is.

But hey what do I know I'm just some faggot on a cartoon vietnamese soup board
>>
>protagonist is having interior monologue
>"waah he is so little whiny bitch!"
>>
Catcher in the Rye reminds me a lot of My Little Pony fanfiction with the author's self-inserts snarking at everything and falling flat on his face with attempts at being profound. You know it's true.
>>
>>7478043
>I'm just some faggot on a cartoon vietnamese soup board

the only true thing you said desu senpai desu senpai
>>
>>7477145
Have you read Catcher in the Rye? Because you sound like a fucking dumbass if you really think Holden is just whiny and immature.
>>
>>7478121
antisalingerfriends rekt
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.