[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>write opening sentence >its shit >rewrite >still
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: dfw7.png (220 KB, 347x440) Image search: [Google]
dfw7.png
220 KB, 347x440
>write opening sentence
>its shit
>rewrite
>still shit
>rewrite again
>even worse
>>
Speak for yourself heh

>tfw every sentence you write is a perfect encapsulation of your innermost thoughts
>tfw able to weave complex literary, mythological, and philosophical allusions into a rich multi layered narrative without sacrificing accessibility or brevity
>tfw your prose is usually lucid and unembellished, so once you lull the reader into a false sense of security you hit them in the dick with prose so visionary and poetic there hasn't been a single person whose read your story that hasn't broken into tears at that one part
>>
>>7476890
Cool?
>>
>>7476897
>in a shitposting thread
>decides to take a reply seriously
Stop breathing.
>>
>write opening sentence
>wins the kudos of the learned, the academician, the Hellenist -- though perhaps not that of those would-be scholars that make up such a substantial portion of popular opinion
>second sentence moves from Homer to Hesiod (implicit homage, at the very threshold of the dazzling new edifice, to the father of didactic poetry), not without revitalizing a technique whose lineage may be traced to Scripture -- that is, enumeration, congeries, or conglobation
>the third -- baroque? decadent? the purified and fanatical cult of form? consists of twinned hemistichs
>the fourth, unabashedly bilingual, assures me the unconditional support of every spirit able to feel the ample attractions of playfulness
>tfw included within the space of four lines three erudite allusions spanning thirty centuries of dense literature
>>
>write nothing
>imagine many things
That way, it'll always be as awesome as i want it to be
I have written random select pieces that just got to me out of nowhere, though
>>
>think of amazing blank verse while sitting on the loo taking a massive shit
>nothing to write it down on, no pen/pad, no phone etc.
>eventually get to a computer to type it up
>can't remember it
>>
File: 45734573634534.png (300 KB, 382x442) Image search: [Google]
45734573634534.png
300 KB, 382x442
>>7476875
>write opening sentece
>it's banal
>rewrite
>still banal
>rewrite again
>so banal it's not banal anymore
>>
>>7476890
crap writing

>tfw gass wrote most of Middle C and The Tunnel about struggling to write an opening sentence
>tfw you will never be able to get away with this meta-narrative
>>
>>7476875
>not squatting in a dilapidated apartment building with no wall overlooking a river
>not mashing out anything that comes to your head on a type writer
>not drinking your own piss and roasting vermin to stay alive

It's almost like you don't want to write at all.
>>
>>7476875
the last first sentence i wrote. (utter genius)

>As they were staying on for a while to breathe the lipstained marbled meat flaying their umbrella'd hairs, waiting to twitch with this bump and that, crabby only on thursdays but when the reality struck, it wasnt anyone's guess, since there wasnt anything to see to begin with.
>>
File: her.png (21 KB, 115x115) Image search: [Google]
her.png
21 KB, 115x115
My first sentence is not so good. I write like a YA writer.

>Rakka, dressed as a pseudo-ballerina, with a black frilly dress with a blue jabot tied into a bow, held aloft her thigh, twisting her ankle back in the movement, and with delicacy, twirled into the air into a formal ballet with her leading.
>>
>>7477615
>Rakka, dressed as a pseudo-ballerina
You can just say "ballerina" and point out oddities that don't befit a ballerina if that part is really that important. Or you can cut it out entirely. If Rakka is a ballerina, then you don't need to say she's dressed like one. If Rakka isn't a ballerina, then we should know it without you saying it.
>with a black frilly dress with a blue jabot tied into a bow,
Remove.
>held aloft her thigh, twisting her ankle back in the movement,
That sounds like it hurts.
>and with delicacy
The audience will assume this if Rakka is a ballerina. If she's not, then let them know you know it's only delicate by chance.
>twirled into the air into a formal ballet with her leading.
You can say "spun in the air with grace" or something. I know jack about ballet, but structurally, this is like saying "shot at the terrorist into an automatic fire with him aiming". If it's a formal ballet and she's leading, then 'show us how*, don't just tell us that it is.
>>
>>7477675
thank you, can you be my editor
>>
File: generic ballerina.jpg (12 KB, 222x300) Image search: [Google]
generic ballerina.jpg
12 KB, 222x300
>>7477684
also this is what I was describing with the leg
>>
My first sentences are also impeccable:

The Jews, it was always the Jews.
>>
>>7477423
You could have used shit to smear it onto the wall
>>
Skip making an opening at all and just right the part that would follow. If the same applies, repeat this process.
>>
>be born
>it's shit
>grow up
>still shit
>cease existing
>even worse
>>
>>7476875
https://draftin.com/

Turn Hemingway mode on. It disables backspace. The writing environment is otherwise pretty clean. You're welcome.
>>
>>7476890
Incorrect use of "whose". It should be "who's" or "who has".
>>
>>7477569
extremely contrived
>>
Just make the first sentence something that really grabs the reader's attention then make the next sentence have nothing to do with the first
>his cock was throbbing under the florescent light of the stage
>>
>>7476911
Go to bed, Danieri.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.