[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Clo ckwork_Orange How is th
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Clockwork_Orange

How is this book? Read yes/no?
Im just "wtf" at the snippets of the movie clips ive checked out. What should I be prepare myself to read this book?
>>
>>7476405
watch the movie first

dude uses slang and all sorts of words that if you're not prepared for or an expert context clue soul, it'll piss you off to no end

movie is better than the book anyway

prepare for
>hyperviolence
>rape
>rape
>violence
>ol ludwig B
>>
>>7476405
>movie is better than the book anyway

kek
>>
File: 7158021429_91b537a593.jpg (174 KB, 363x500) Image search: [Google]
7158021429_91b537a593.jpg
174 KB, 363x500
Cover art reminds me of this guy
>>
>>7476431
Worst advice I've ever heard. The movie is crap compared to the book.

Just crack it open OP, its honestly not hard to get used to the nadsat. Its like an evolved Catcher in the Rye.
>>
>>7476405
>What should I be prepare myself to read this book?

Nothing. If you are easily upset by portrayals of violence or rape, you probably shouldn’t read it. Otherwise you’re fine. Don’t worry about the Nadsat, you’ll pick it up naturally if you’re not an idiot. And don’t get the American version: check that the last chapter is titled chapter 7.
>>
>>7476431
The movie is better, but I found reading the book first made the film more comprehensible
>>
>>7476405
I remember that my version was translation with using of russian slang instead of english. Also ending is other than in movie, debatabpe if better or worse
>>7476553
LOL
>>
Honestly I loved it. I finished it in like a week. The nadsat isn't hard to understand the context makes it all make sense.
>>
>>7476405
just read it last week. liked it a lot. you get the hang of the slang pretty quickly even if you don't look up any words.
>>
I just finished it and it was alright. I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends but I don't mind having read it. The last chapter came out of nowhere which I guess is why the Yanks left it out. I didn't care for the slang and violence too much but the message was interesting.
>>
>>7476405

Movie clips? You mean you haven't seen the movie?! It's from the 70s you've had plenty of time.
>>
Great book, with a shit epilogue. Don't read the final chapter, it is totally out of place and reads like an apology for the all that preceded it.

Also, the nadsat is fun to read, especially if you've any familiarity with Russian.
>>
>>7476405
It really wasn't all that.
>>
>>7480477
American detected.
>>
>>7480100
What message did it leave you with?
>>
>There are actually people out there who dislike the final chapter
Shiggy diggy
Leaving out that chapter messes up the aria structure and messes with the message of the novel. Before the final chapter, it can easily be interpreted as being about the decay of society, the epilogue reinforces that depravity is human nature.
>>
>>7480499
That while people using their freedom to do bad things might be bad, killing individuality and freedom of choice to force people to do good might be worse
>>
>>7480571
then the movie covers it pretty well if you can get past all the groovy attributes.
>>
>>7480570
My gripe with it is that it comes out of nowhere
>Oh I am growing up I'm a good guy now let's have a wife and kids
It felt very much like an afterthought as opposed to an integral part of the story
>>
>>7480611
The last chapter is about the self-realization that the things that entertained you as an edgy teen no longer have the same appeal once you reach adulthood and mature as a person
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.