[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would you define postmodernism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Picture+3.png (380 KB, 485x485) Image search: [Google]
Picture+3.png
380 KB, 485x485
How would you define postmodernism?
>>
you know it when you see it
>>
>>7475470
a mustard sandwich with no other filling
>>
>>7475470
Weird for the sake of weird
>>
SHIT
>>
the only thing that makes sense
>>
No definition-- that's really the point of it. Innovation, experimentation, breaking all predication of art.
>>
>>7475470
That postmodernism is indefinable is a truism. However, it can be described as a set of critical, strategic and rhetorical practices employing concepts such as difference, repetition, the trace, the simulacrum, and hyperreality to destabilize other concepts such as presence, identity, historical progress, epistemic certainty, and the univocity of meaning.
>>
>>7475470
Skepticism and intentional ignorance of convention
>>
externalization of information as a result of consumerism: the philosophy inherent to industrial-consumer electronic society; the awareness of commodification facilitated by electronics

in short, a response to the divide created by capitalist materialism between man and the world.
>>
>>7475470
meme
>>
incredulity towards metanarratives
>>
>>7477347
This is still the best definition, I think. The "metanarrative" impulse is a powerful one, and it deserves to be resisted,

which problematizes baudrillardian visions like this >>7477339 as well as philosophies of difference referenced here >>7477243.

Contrary to what many say, I don't think postmodernism has really come into its own yet, let alone made room, through exhaustion, for its own overcoming. The indeterminacy of its current status remains a sign of its infancy.
>>
>>7475475
there's a latin expression for that
>>
>>7477384
>indeterminancy as a sign of its infancy

or of a blindness in plain sight. why cant people discern its origin or meaning? imo because we're in the thick of it, and it requires intense self examination, that would eventually lead to the discovery of deep rooted problems in how life is being lived in 2015
>>
>>7477398
In my opinion, it's a mostly technical problem, almost a purely logical one. How to break out of a metanarrative? How to stop the endless upward ascent? I don't think artists and writers who want to do so think hard enough about what this means. They think if they just do certain things then it will be postmodern. But most of the techniques you see in literature that are supposedly post-modern are, in other art forms, strictly modern. And this leads to a confusion about what the meaning of the project is. For example, I don't see anything particularly post-modern about Pynchon. How does Pynchon combat the metanarrative? Post-modernity, if it is to be anything, has to be more precise than just a style.
>>
>>7477417
i think you're approaching the issue in theory only. because what would breaking out the metanarrative achieve? what would people be ascending to? what would it matter if we trade one metanarrative for another as a society? i'm talking about practical import. how does any of this affect the life of the average person
>>
>>7477434
Well, just look at the impact it has had on the arts. You can metaphorize those with the political to get what you're talking about. But maybe having a society at all requires certain uncritical assumptions, so it's hard to know whether or not the idea even could have political implications. But in the arts, there is a certain degree of freedom. And there you see, in the practice or art, a great many effects, even if it is ultimately a confused and incomplete dispersal thereof.
>>
>>7477396
sui cognui opticum cui
>>
>>7475470
>postmodernism

I took a British Literature class this semester and I liked what my instructor said of Postmodernism: "Everything said with a smirk".
He seemed to believe that Pomo was more suited for the screen than the page, and while I don't exactly disagree with the thought, I really think the world could do without Postmodernism entirely.
You didn't need to make a new thread about it, man. >>7461214
>>
>>7477488
>everything said with a smirk

I like this, it succinctly captures what my immediate experience confirms re postmodern influence on social attitudes, and which for an autist like me (smirk) is frustrating and kind of bleak
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.