[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are we all reading at this very moment? This book is pure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7
File: epson002.jpg (251 KB, 810x1372) Image search: [Google]
epson002.jpg
251 KB, 810x1372
What are we all reading at this very moment?

This book is pure joy. A nice break from all the depressing books I read.
>>
Have that sitting on my shelf. Picked it up from the "take a book, leave a book" shelf from university. I'm sick of depressing stuff too atm and need a break. Reading the Book of Disquiet and got done with Stoner a few weeks ago. Very depressing books. How does it compare to other Bradbury stuff
>>
Reading The Day of the Locust. It's pretty good so far though I have yet to see why it has garnered so much praise. I just finished reading Miss Lonelyhearts which I liked.
>>
About to read some Heraclitus before I start Theaetetus. I'll read a bit of Parmenides and Protogoras before Theaetetus also.
>>
>>7473908
I'm reading The Recognitions atm. Everytime I feel I recognize the depth of his writing, the abyss deepens.
>>
>>7474157

Are you enjoying it?
>>
File: images.jpg (20 KB, 381x569) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
20 KB, 381x569
>>
>>7474113
Much different. So poetic and wonderful, almost nauseating in purity and form. Everything is magical and wonderful. The dark is a lurker and a monster that sweeps the town and the day comes thundering like a cavalry charge. Page long metaphors and descriptions about how the world Is a magical and wonderful place to a boy growing up. It honestly brings me such immense joy to read this.
>>
File: Trotsky.jpg (185 KB, 1065x1600) Image search: [Google]
Trotsky.jpg
185 KB, 1065x1600
>>7473908
pic related. It's about the assasination of Trotsky and his killer. pretty good 2bh.
>>
>>7473908
>all the depressing books I read.
tell me a few. i want to die. i miss her :(
>>
File: 81J+bCH-TVL._SL1500_.jpg (226 KB, 826x1360) Image search: [Google]
81J+bCH-TVL._SL1500_.jpg
226 KB, 826x1360
>>
>>7473908
One of the coziest books I've ever read
>>
File: BAS.png (1 MB, 595x763) Image search: [Google]
BAS.png
1 MB, 595x763
BEHEAD ALL SATANS
>>
File: 2666-roberto-bolaño.jpg (92 KB, 848x1328) Image search: [Google]
2666-roberto-bolaño.jpg
92 KB, 848x1328
almost done with the second part. pretty good so far
>>
The sun also rises.

So far its just people getting hammered.
>>
http://ruxx.asuscomm.com:8888/browse/book/91045

The Steam-Driven Boy, and Other Stories, by John Sladek.

in particular, a short story called "Joy Ride", which viciously parodies Ray Bradbury:

"It was the best of times.
It was the worst of times.
It was the waiting time, before the ride to come. The airport was furiously busy. Two butterflies had just come in for a landing, and one dragonfly was taking off, while overhead a swarm of brown, honey-heavy bees flew lazy holding patterns. And right smack in the middle of it sat three humans, warming their human skins at the Indian summer sun.
The old man took a flask of rhubarb wine from one of his forty-seven pockets, tipped it and drank solemnly to the health of all his companions – not omitting a distant gopher on Runway Three. The girl wandered off to investigate this great open place, while the boy hunkered down in the sand to hear a story from his grandfather.
‘The old days were good days, boy. They were people days. No one had to be afraid of anyone, ever, and folks used to even leave their doors unlocked. There were good people everywhere, and they were all neighbours.
‘Oh, they didn’t all speak the same language, and they didn’t all sing to the same God on Sundays, but they were neighbours, just the same. Real neighbours.
‘Money was real, too. Real silver, not plastic. It rang true. And ice cream, cold as a puppy’s nose, cost just one thin silver dime of it.’ He paused, raising his sky-coloured eyes to look approval at his granddaughter. Barely seventeen summers old, she was out on the concrete runway gathering flame-bright autumn leaves.
The boy spoke. ‘Gosh, Grandpa, what was this “ice cream” like?’
‘Oh, delicious! It was as tasty as a seventeenth summer. As scrumptious as the smell of lavender rain. Yummier than freedom itself. In fact, the only taste I liked as well was the taste of stamps.’..."
>>
>>7474120

The Day of the Locust is legit my favorite book. It's got some spectacular pacing and I just love Nathanael West's style. Describing everyday events with extremely violent imagery and then barely acknowledging the moments of actual violence. Tough it out, the last chapter is one of my favorites in anything I've ever read.
>>
19th century Indiana Jones
>>
>>7473908
>all the depressing books
Well, I'm reading No Longer Human and I feel like I connect with it so much I need moar depressing lit desu
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.