[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is Tolstoy so much greater than Dostoevsky?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9
File: Kurskaya_korennaya.jpg (433 KB, 2053x1300) Image search: [Google]
Kurskaya_korennaya.jpg
433 KB, 2053x1300
Why is Tolstoy so much greater than Dostoevsky?
>>
>>7473379
Because they're both worse than Turgenev.
>>
Um nah breh. Dosto is fucking epic and deals with themes like depression, death, life, and existentialism. Tolstoy is just posh people in love and other boring shit.
>>
>>7473400
nonsense, tolstoy was the greatest novelist to ever live, anon.
>>
really, name one novel greater than Anna Karenin written by dostoevsky. Protip: you can't.
>>
>>7473405
No his shit is fucking boring and he has no deep message or themes like Dosto has.
>>
Turgenev was a much better human being than either.
>>
>>7473400
Dosto just makes his characters talk about those themes, Tolsto has way more artistical depth
>>
>>7473413
what deeper theme than love betrayed by callousness, what deeper message than the glory of god? i'm sorry, but tolstoy is clearly the superior author. clean, concise, all his characters fleshed out, interesting, all memorable. name one dostoevsky character who wasn't a title character. hell, pushkin even said that tolstoy was the greater novelist.
>>
Honestly, dostoevsky was a hack. Nabokov said so, and Nabokov was nearly as brilliant as Tolstoy, not quite, but nearing his greatness.
>>
File: Carrots and Pandas.png (80 KB, 813x1577) Image search: [Google]
Carrots and Pandas.png
80 KB, 813x1577
>>7473400
>lol im gonna kill this old lady because I can
>oh no jesus was right all along
Such depth
>>
>>7473400
Is this a pasta?
>>
>>7473541
It's just an easy troll I do every now and then; works like magic
>>
>>7473451
>he fell for the meme reading

you probably think Holden is judging others in catcher too.
>>
>>7473451
>Not seeing the deeper morale
>Not realizing how it applies to issues like war, when soldiers do think they have the moral right to kill others
>Not appreciating the deep insight into the nature of human egoism and the nature of violence

That's why you're not a writer, Anon - you're too autistic for it.
>>
>>7473387
I love Turgenev, but he isn't on the level of Dosto and Tolstoy.
>>
>>7473420
This is actually a really good way to put it, absolutely agree
>>
>>7473572
You're like 19 and think that you understand literature, when you literally only pick up on the most basic surface themes and think you understand the message.

kys you pretentious plebeian
>>
>>7473572
I haven't actually read it
>>
>>7473565
What's the non meme reading.
>>
it's sad how many people still think dostoevsky is anywhere near an author in any league with Tolstoy. He just 'gets' the russian aristocracy as well as the plebs. he had gills and the people were his ocean. Dostoevsky was a creepy neckbeard of his time, praying for the prostitutes to spit on him as they pass him by.
>>
>>7473595
Projecting much?
>>
>>7473647
I see I was correct.
>>
>>7473379
Dosto: substance over beauty
Tolsto: beauty over substance
>>
>>7473430

Nabokov had some weird fucking literary opinions, I don't trust him much

>>7473413

Have you read the Cossacks tho
>>
>>7473650
http://12yearoldsimulator.com/
>>
>>7473657
you're just a pleb who doesnt understand what he's talking about. who cares if you don't trust one of the greatest literary geniuses of our time? have you even read Pnin? what a fucking joke. Nabokov wrote circles around dostoevsky, and pinned him like the rat he was. you should be ashamed of even thinking the way you do. implicit trust in intellectuals is the only way to go in life.
>>
File: hohoho.jpg (6 KB, 251x251) Image search: [Google]
hohoho.jpg
6 KB, 251x251
>>7473662
>these are the types that prefer dostoevsky
>>
>>7473663
Pnin is literally trash though. How the fuck can you think it's good?
>>
>>7473682
you obviously didnt get the subtle hidden chapter, god, it must be sad to be so stupid. didnt you read the introduction? fuck sake.
>>
>>7473691
You read the introduction and you think you, 'get it'.

This is the saddest thing i've read all day.
>>
>>7473637
>Dostoevsky was a creepy neckbeard of his time, praying for the prostitutes to spit on him as they pass him by.
/thread
>>
>>7473696
no, you didnt even get the hidden chapter where Pnin's character is explained, as well as the crystal bowl's origin. you fucking poor pleb. what's it like to miss out on so much? no, don't soil me with your plebbiness.
>>
>>7473705
Don't worry buddy, I get the book. There's not much to get. If Pnin impresses you consider reading more.
>>
>>7473680
>Missing the point THIS hard

Anon, you are the autist. Get over it and seek treatment.
>>
File: Monk.jpg (397 KB, 900x584) Image search: [Google]
Monk.jpg
397 KB, 900x584
>>7473712
>so worried that he doesnt get the book that he lies and says he gets the book
>doesnt realize the hidden splendour of pnin

you poor fucking sap.
>>
>>7473405
While some consider W&P to be the best novel ever. The best novelist is Balzac.
>>
>>7473720
Wow great job fagtron you sure convinced me with those hot opinions.
>>
>>7473723
>I'm so base that I actually believe that understanding an easy book is impressive
>to actually form this understanding I didn't even think, I just read the introduction which told me what to think
>I have no original thoughts and I bring nothing to any discussion
>I call other people plebs when I am the literal defenition of the word
>>
>>7473728
laughable that you think ballsack is worth his weight in dogshit. Zola would smother ballsack's fatass with a sweaty handkerchief.
>>
>>7473734
>is so mad that he missed an entire subtle chapter written by one of the greatest geniuses of his time
>is still trying to attack someone who received the glory that is pnin, simply because he doesnt understand
>thinks pnin was simple because he has poor observational skills
>>
>>7473741
>If I keep saying he doesn't get it he will eveentually give up

Your entire argument rests on me not understanding the book, an easy, laughable book. I know you haven't been reading for long, an your understanding of literature is limited, but don't lower others down to your level my pleb friend.
>>
>>7473747
i feel sorry for you, anon. i wish werent such a vapid fool to see that your reading comprehension is at such a low level that you were fooled by the overt yet illusory simplicity of pnin. i hope that some day you get over yourself and try reading it again. you really might learn to appreciate something substantial that you overlooked at one time or another.
>>
File: are you jesting me.png (114 KB, 347x344) Image search: [Google]
are you jesting me.png
114 KB, 347x344
>my author is better than your author
>no, your author is shit, mine is better
>look you two, my author says his author is shit
>your author sucks
>no, he's the best ever
>maybe that other guy's author is good, but my author was the best
>your author is nothing compared to my author
>>
>>7473761
i'm glad you're starting to understand the superiority of the dynamic duo, Tolstoy and his Pnin wonder, Nabokov.
>>
>>7473761
David go home you are dead
>>
>>7473756
How many times are you going to post the same thing?

I have said countless times that I understand, and yet you still make posts saying I don't. You literally claimed to reading the introduction, which somehow makes you get what Nabokov was saying? It doesn't make you get what he was saying, you were simply told what he was saying.

Also how many many times do I need to tell you that Pnin is not a difficult book? It's not, it was never considered a difficult book. No serious academics think of it as a great work.

You are literally a smallfry who just finished his first book for grownups.
>>
>>7473778
you still don't get it. you obviously don't understand that there was a hidden chapter. nothing about the novel was "explained" through the introduction except a few hints on how to access the hidden chapter within pnin's pages. i'm sorry that you're not getting that this has anything to do with dick waggling. i genuinely feel you may have missed that, and i think it makes it one of the greatest books of all time, one that makes the novel unfold like the most delicate of moon lotuses. do whatever you want, i don't care man.
>>
>>7473797
He posted it again, the madman.

Seriously, do you have issues with your brain? I'm starting to think that this is the case.

Once again, I understood. This means you have no argument.
>>
>>7473804
okay then, explain to me the hidden chapter. a brief one or two sentence synopsis will do.
>>
>>7473809
Why would I explain to you a basic book? You obviously don't understand it.
>>
>>7473816
this is pure evidence that you have no idea what i'm talking about. it would literally take you 10 seconds to type out a simple sentence to quiet me, but you'd rather accuse me of something. i'm sorry you don't know it. please swallow your pride and in the future stop being such a dense asshole.
>>
>>7473767
This is funny man
>>
>>7473827
If it's so genious then you type this sentence that will convince me that Pnin is a great book.

You won't because you can't. The depth just isn't there.
>>
>>7473846
Pnin was the writer of all of nabokov's novels, and is the lone source of tying in several strings across the board of his oeuvre.
>>
>>7473856
I KNEW IT. I KNEW YOU WOULD POST THIS.

You literally didn't get it. Fucking lmao.
>>
>>7473387
I think you meant Checkov m8
>>
>>7473866
you sad little man. if you think that it wasnt thoroughly explained through the hidden chapter (there is a literal hidden chapter that you have to find 12 different novels) then you clearly didnt study or put the effort into it. i bet you didnt even read the scene where Pnin climbs through the tesseract, you fucking pleb.
>>
>>7473887
Woah there mr conspiracy.

>the book is good, y-you just need to find the hidden book within

Do you not think about how retarded you sound?
>>
>>7473902
you really didnt read the tesseract scene, or the razor and the mirror. fuck sake. amateurs. i'm sorry, but you're just too painfully stupid.
>>
>Cold as fuck
>Russians with weird names talking about God
>Russians being unnecessarily rude to each other
>Russians making cryptic and obscure judgments of each other that don't even sound deep but are matter of fact and are still cryptic
>Russians dropping spaghetti and exploding into autismical crying expressions of love

Meanwhile, in America...
>I'm the great fuckin GATSBY nigga! I'm RICH
>Party time! Rich people have problems!!!! FUCK. YES.
>>
File: 53934924_p6_master1200.jpg (198 KB, 1000x723) Image search: [Google]
53934924_p6_master1200.jpg
198 KB, 1000x723
b/c retards can name 2 russian authors and like to say sweeping contrarian bullshit to seem different and informed
>>
I reckon they're both slightly inferior to Bulgakov, family
>>
>>7473915
Nabokov was American, and Tolstoy was a spy that traveled to Acapulco to trade information with Hitler, you fucking tosspot. doesnt anyone READ ANYTHING?
>>
>>7473912
Not the guy you're replying to, but you type like an arse.
>>
>>7473928
nah, you're probably just as fucking moronic. plus you're probably onna them britfags. go suck king richard's dick or whoever brings you your tea. pissant.
>>
>>7473912
There is such a thing as personal interpretation, but you have gone off the deep end there buddy.
>>
>>7473939
no, you're wading in the kiddy pool like the simpleb that you are.
>>
>>7473925
Sheathe thine bodkin. I was replying to OP.
>>
File: blow.jpg (43 KB, 472x461) Image search: [Google]
blow.jpg
43 KB, 472x461
>>7473925
what in the fuck?
>>
>>7473451
Should be Überkaninchen
>>
>>7473416
>>7473387
I read somewhere that both tolstoy and dosto hated turgenev, is it true?
>>
>>7473856
>>7473866

I enjoyed reading this conversation immensely BTW, and it gave me a chance to revisit some old articles on Nabokov. Thanks anons.
>>
>>7474178
Not at all. I know Dostoyevsky at least had great admiration for Turgenev as a writer.
>>
Since we're on the topic of Nabokov: Should I abstain myself from Kubrick's adaptation right now if I want to read Lolita?
Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.