[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Whats wrong with audiobooks /lit/? It cant be more comforting t b h
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: audiobook-1.jpg (19 KB, 360x280) Image search: [Google]
audiobook-1.jpg
19 KB, 360x280
Whats wrong with audiobooks /lit/? It cant be more comforting t b h
>>
one feature of the medium of written text is that the reader is capable of spontaneously pausing, slowing down, speeding up, going back to re-read a sentence or section, etc.

that might seem trivial at first but I think it is a huge part of the experience of reading, and it's not something you can do with an audio book.
>>
Nothing, just /lit/ generally needing to hate things.

Audiobooks allow me to get about 3 times as much reading done as I'd be able to do otherwise, and some books work better out loud. Some work worse, but certainly not a majority.

As guy above me said, books where you get a lot out of referring back to something earlier are the ones that suffer, but in my experience a good amount of my backtracking turns out to be pointless OCD anyway, for fiction at least.
>>
>>7473356
can't pause, slow down, speed up, or go back?
>>
>>7473313
It's okay for pulp/genre lit sometimes. I love Lovecraft's "Herbert West: The Reanimator" read by Combs, for example. He was great in the movie adaptation, too.
>>
https://www.fastcodesign.com/3026224/evidence/your-brain-on-audio-books-distracted-forgetful-and-bored
>>
>>7473313
My opinion is that audiobooks do half the work for you, they dictate pacing and mood and sometimes even meaning. They also give a voice to characters and settings. all of this is done seemlessly when you read, you might not notice thisBUT YOUR BRAIN DOES
>>
>>7473313
Audiobooks are fantastic for long and/or heavily trafficked (driving) commutes. But I absolutely can't listen to them outside the car else I fall asleep or get distracted by doing something else.

You have to do something else at the same time as listening, but it can't be something mentally engaging enough to distract you from the audio. At least this is true for me.
>>
>>7474093
Let me guess, he is prepare himself for work as loader?
>>
>>7473313
I have essential problem with them but if the speaker isn't good then even a good book falters. That said, a good speaker makes an audio-book worthwhile, though I wish there wasn't this propensity for "acting out" the characters.
>>
>>7473313
I can only do non-fiction on audiobooks, on long drives
>>
File: Dosadi Experiment.jpg (159 KB, 850x1388) Image search: [Google]
Dosadi Experiment.jpg
159 KB, 850x1388
first experiment with an audiobook. let's see, one of my favorites: the Dosadi Experiment, by Frank Herbert... what? THAT's not how you pronounce the protagonist's name!

who here thinks "McKie" should rhyme with "eye" and not "bee"?

jesus, it's just gonna get worse when he comes to the alien names, like "Gowachin" and "Taprisiot"..
>>
>>7476273
link me this shit my dudde
>>
>>7473403
Not to be "that guy" but it isn't really reading is it? You might get 3 times as much audial storytelling, but you ain't done readin' shit m8
>>
>>7473404
Not the same. It's all in the experience.
>>
I really like this 'dramatic reading' of Moby Dick I've been putting on during long car rides. Hearing it spoken is another experience altogether.
>>
it's too slow
>>
>>7476285
i dl'd it several years ago, listened to the first five minutes then deleted it. then i removed my HD, took it outside and beat the shit out of it with a ball peen hammer. then i set fire to the pieces. sorry, i don't have the link any more. shouldn't be that hard to find.
>>
You can only do one or the other. You can't just do both.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.