[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you please recommend any literature that make me a happier
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: Schopenhauer.jpg (14 KB, 300x358) Image search: [Google]
Schopenhauer.jpg
14 KB, 300x358
Can you please recommend any literature that make me a happier person? I'm miserable. Thanks.
>>
>>7472743
/lit/ has a way of making you unhappier
>>
>>7472743

Epictetus' Discourses.
>>
tao te ching
marcus aurelius meditations
leslie marmon silko ceremony
>>
>>7472743
Nietzsche. After Schopenhauer has destroyed you, you go to Nietzsche to learn how to rebuild yourself. Start with Twilight of the Idols.

Bertrand Russel's The Conquest of Happiness might be of interest to you as well. I never finished it though.
>>
>>7473299

No, after Nietzsche has told you how to live yourself, you go to Schoppy to face squarely the worthlessness of existence.
>>
Books you enjoy will make you happy.
>>
>>7472743
Counsels and Maxims by Arthur Schopenhauer.
>>
File: chin.png (86 KB, 973x300) Image search: [Google]
chin.png
86 KB, 973x300
>>7472743
>>
>>7473509
This. Read Yung Chu's (Yang Zhu's) Garden of Pleasure, OP.
>>
>>7472743

Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning
Burns, Feeling Good
>>
>>7472743
lmao yeah, sure as hell not schop

reading robert anton wilson always made me happy for some reason. maybe cause of all the whacky shit
>>
>>7472743

Aurelius, Epictetus, Tao Te Ching
>>
>>7472743
Interview with the Vampire and The Vampire Lestat
>>
>>7472743
HDT walden pond
>>
>>7473490
This is spot on
>>
File: siddhartha.jpg (64 KB, 286x475) Image search: [Google]
siddhartha.jpg
64 KB, 286x475
>>
Think and grow rich!! The best book about motivation and what you want to accomplish in your life (not necessarily wealth)
>>
File: Epicurus reader.jpg (9 KB, 307x475) Image search: [Google]
Epicurus reader.jpg
9 KB, 307x475
>>7472743
This
>>
>>7474143
What is better, that, or, The Essential Epicurus?
>>
>>7473490
>Books you enjoy will make you happy.

Sup reddit
>>
>>7474146
The Epicurus Reader by far. The Essential Epicurus only includes the works of Epicurus and a short introduction, but of course the amount of work we have left from Epicurus is small. But the Epicurus reader contains all his work, including the fragments left over, as well as work from other writers such as Cicero and Lucretius about their thoughts on Epicurus. It even includes the biography that Diogenes Laertius did about him.
>>
>>7474146
After Epicurus read "Utilitarianism" by John Stuart Mill. He basically expands the ethics of Epicurus.
>>
File: tipping-intensifies.gif (141 KB, 287x344) Image search: [Google]
tipping-intensifies.gif
141 KB, 287x344
>>7474677
>>
You want a book that will make you happier, Feeling Good by David Burns is what you're looking for. But for real literature/philosophy, there are numerous angles to take. Nietzsche if you want loud, overflowing happiness, Taoism/Buddhism for quiet serenity, stoics for temperance. As for fiction, I find that Tolstoy has a way of elevating his readers. Dante redefines love in a very beautiful and optimistic way. Joyce is great spiritual material, because to me he masters both the existential struggles and daily struggles, but there's a sort of 'the dude abides' way of dealing with it.
>>
>>7474779
Where do i start with Nietzsche??
>>
>>7472743
>thinks happiness is important
>posts a pic of schoppy
>>
>>7475673
happiness is literally the only thing worth striving for .t shoppy
>>
File: yang zhu.png (64 KB, 154x251) Image search: [Google]
yang zhu.png
64 KB, 154x251
>>7472743
Why are you miserable, family?
>>
>>7475673
there's between saying 'happiness isn't important' and 'desire/will causes suffering and the only way to beat it is to stop desiring/willing or alleviate it through aesthetic contemplation'
>>
>>7475701
>there's between
FUG
meant
>there's a DIFFERENCE between
>>
>>7474809
Anywhere except Zarathustra works, but it's usually agreed the best places to start with are either The Gay Science or Twilight of the Idols. But since The Gay Science is less critique of older philosophy than Twilight and more of his inspiring beautiful shit, I'd go with The Gay Science.
You should understand have at least a rough understanding Plato's theory of forms and Schopenhauer's idea of the will.
I envy anybody who gets to read Nietzsche the for the first time. The first 20 pages you might say hmmm a lot, but when it comes together it's really a great moment for the mind.
>>
>>7472752
Very true. My attitude always improves when I take breaks from here. Not sure why I come back.
>>
"The things that make us happy make us wise." -- John Crowley, Little, Big
>>
get a book of hammer and nod like fuck niqqa

bang dat shit
>>
>tfw you feel like suicide is your thing but you're not the self killing type

baka desu senpai
>>
Jostein Gaarder
>>
Read Schopenhauer
>>
>>7472743
The only writer who consistently and near-instantaneously makes people happier (that I know of, anyway) is C. S. Lewis.
>>
Cioran
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.