[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lit/, I am going through a nihilist phase I am actually wishing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 12
File: FB_IMG_1450331595330.jpg (15 KB, 308x423) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1450331595330.jpg
15 KB, 308x423
/lit/, I am going through a nihilist phase I am actually wishing to overcome it. What are recommended readings?
>>
KJV
>>
>>7472516
this
>>
just be a fucking person and stop being a drama queen. Of course life has no meaning and neither does anything else that we do to fill it up. It doesn't mean that things can't be valuable, have meaning, or be beautiful though. See: The Bible
>>
Just kill yourself my man
>>
Learn to love again.
>>
>>7472520
The Bible is full of shit and won't do you any good if you don't actually want to believe it or if you think that you're above it. OP should try Nietzsche, if he hasn't, yet
>>
>>7472507
take stock of your skills. at this point, you have two options (or not, depending on your flavor of nihilism as regards free will):

1. realize you have no skills, then whither away into either death, or an abject state of unconscious proletariat misery. I'm not sure which is worse

2. realize you are good at approximately three things. chose one and become the best at it in the world, whatever it is. remember, absurdism and nihilism are fecund bedfellows. the more you start to see it like a game, the better you'll become.
>>
you want to get past nihilism?

move into a squat.

try to live on the kindness of other people for a month or so.

at the end you will run straight for the nearest army recruitment center and ask to be signed up as a gun-wielding fascist.
>>
>>7472507
If nothing matters then why does it matter that nothing matters?
>>
>>7472558
Hey nagel
>>
File: 1448845410027.jpg (217 KB, 650x1000) Image search: [Google]
1448845410027.jpg
217 KB, 650x1000
read russian romantics op

>>7472558
reddit tier post
>>
>>7472535
I expect you to read all of this.

Cletus begets Austiin, and Cletus begets Bart, and Cletus begets Billy, and Cletus begets Billy Bob, and Cletus begets Billy Ray, and Cletus begets Bo, and Cletus begets Bobby Joe, and Cletus begets Buck, and Cletus begets Bud, and Cletus begets Chester, and Cletus begets Clarice, and Cletus begets Cleavon, and Cletus begets Cletus Jr, and Cletus begets Clifton, and Cletus begets Clint, and Cletus begets Clyde, and Cletus begets Dale, and Cletus begets Donny, and Cletus begets Earl, and Cletus begets Dwayne, and Cletus begets Eustice, and Cletus begets Floyd, and Cletus begets Garth, and Cletus begets Harley, and Cletus begets Homer, and Cletus begets Houston, and Cletus begets Jed, and Cletus begets Jerry Lee, and Cletus begets Jessie, and Cletus begets Jim Bob, and Cletus begets John Boy, and Cletus begets Junior, and Cletus begets Lee, and Cletus begets Lonnie, and Cletus begets Lynn, and Cletus begets Otis, and Cletus begets Pervis, and Cletus begets Ray Nathan, and Cletus begets Ricky, and Cletus begets Robbie, and Cletus begets Ricky, and Cletus begets Rowan, and Cletus begets Roy, and Cletus begets Rufus, and Cletus begets Sherman, and Cletus begets Spencer, and Cletus begets Tommy, and Cletus begets Tommy Lee, and Cletus begets Tyler, and Cletus begets Vinton, and Cletus begets Wade, and Cletus begets Wayne, and Cletus begets Wilbur, and Cletus begets Woody.

Now for the next generation

Austin begets

(Post number 1 of 843)
>>
>>7472507
Aristotle.
>>
>>7472507
Industrial society and its future
>>
Just kill an arab my man
>>
>>7472507
You can't overcome nihilism, you can only temporarily escape it for a bit before you slide ride back into it like a spider trapped in a bathtub.

I recommend getting comfortable in your new ideological home.
>>
What should I read if I want to go clear though nihilism and out the other side?
>>
What the fuck, why was my post about reading the Stranger deleted?

It's esp. spooky in context of >>7473922 being posted like 10 mins later
>>
File: bhagavad-gita.jpg (26 KB, 285x474) Image search: [Google]
bhagavad-gita.jpg
26 KB, 285x474
>>7472507
>>
>>7472516
>translation
>>
By growing up perhaps?
>>
>>7472507
Siddhartha
>>
>>7474152
In the Buddha's Words
>>
>overcoming nihilism
>>
>>7472507
Read The Brothers Karamazov and make sure you make notes whilst reading

fuck a bitch on the side

get a motorbike

all this really helped me OP
>>
Dostoevski and Bloy
>>
>>7472595
>reddit tier post
It's true, though
>>
You don't overcome nihilism.
You just make up some bullshit in your head and make yourself think you overcame nihilism, but deep in your heart you still know that you're a nihilist.
>>
>>7474907
Nihilism should be the basis from which everything else is based off of. Yeah, it never goes away, but it's merely the first step.
>>
File: image (2).png (312 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image (2).png
312 KB, 480x360
>>7472558
>>7474785
If nothing matters then why does it matter that nothing matters matter?
>>
>>7472558
Tautology.com
>>
>>7475078
It doesn't. Nothing matters. Which makes any discussion about "mattering" (and nihilism) self-destructive.
>>
>>7475096
How can nothing matter? Nothing cannot matter.
>>
File: 17508NietzscheMarx.jpg (17 KB, 590x325) Image search: [Google]
17508NietzscheMarx.jpg
17 KB, 590x325
>>
File: albert-camus-c.jpg (31 KB, 438x350) Image search: [Google]
albert-camus-c.jpg
31 KB, 438x350
All the meaning is supplied by us human beings. Existence has no value judgments about itself.
>>
>>7475078
because we desire it
>>
>>7472507

Read Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
>>
>>7472549
I have already done my conscription and getting an army job is not easy

Keep in mind that not everyone is American
>>
>>7472549
Do you consider nihilism to be a leftist/anarchism thing or something?
>>
File: insufferable_pretentious_cunts.png (130 KB, 451x647) Image search: [Google]
insufferable_pretentious_cunts.png
130 KB, 451x647
Are you actually going through an existential crisis, or are you going through an edgy "lol I'm so depressed because it's cool to be depressed and I'm smarter than most people" phase.
Pic related
>>
>>7474235
THIS
Bhagavad Gita is 100% based.
>>
>>7475211
>dat stirner
>>
>>7475296
The page has almost 150,000 likes. It's obviously created by a shitposter from /lit/, but those people haven't read The Ego and It's Own and they don't know who Stirner is.
>>
This chapter of dee eff double-u's the pale king

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18000271-the-awakening-of-my-interest-in-advanced-tax
>>
>>7475211
Not sure about OP, but I am going through a true existential crisis and have been looking through the thread for the same answers that the OP is looking for. I am confident that this is an existential crisis because I've gone through phases of fashionable depressions in the past and none of them have been as crushing or persistent as what I am experiencing now. I haven't left my room in the last two weeks because I've become paralyzed by a subconscious feeling that leaving the house would not provide meaning whatsoever, and have spent them, instead, browsing the internet and reading about philosophy in wikipedia pages, message boards, and articles. I understand that I can only attain a shallow understanding of philosophy from these sources and so I am looking for actual books to get me out of this mess. Please help me. I fear for myself.
>>
You're a nihilist because of a lack of faith, right? Well why be a nihilist when even nihilism is refutable. You cant be completely sure nothing matters
>>
>>7475315
I just had a google and realised someone is posting my home made Stirners all over.

It's a weird feel.
>>
>>7472507
Osamu Daizai. Ningen Shikkaku.
>>
Read Prometheus Rising
>>
try to understand that it's not an intellectual thing but an emotional one

so lets say you were in massive euphoria, "nothing matters" wouldn't even really bother you at all because you feel good

the problem isn't "nothing matters" the problem is you aren't enjoying yourself

find a way to enjoy yourself again

nihilism is just intellectualized suffering/misery
>>
>>7475380

Don't you prefer to be well? Nothing you read will be able to convince that anything matters on the cosmic scale because newsflash, nothing does... But if you prefer to be well instead of feeling shitty then that's reason enough to confer meaning to trying to be well before you die, which you most certainly will before too long. Get the fuck out of your room and into the sunshine, you're nothing more than a dumb animal whose emotions depend on futile things
>>
>>7475382
How exactly is nihilism refutable, outside of afterlife arguments?
>>
>>7472507
> I am actually wishing to overcome it.

laughinggirls.jpg
>>
>>7475382
Skepticism almost feels like a lateral move. I guess it might be considered "worse" since you're literally casting doub onto everything
>>
>>7475468
It's just a solace for confusion. If you're confused about meaning, the easiest thing to do is decide that there is none.
>>
>>7472507
Well,you can start by givin up your dreams, the people that care for you, the world, the school and all that shit, or grow a pair and do something for the world that writes your name in the books of history and stop being a fuking godforsaken lemur that lived and died without make any accomplishment because he thinks his existence doesnt meant shit like the 99% of the people that have lived in this planet,like the hobo that live under the brige,like a dog, like the dude who feel he is awesome because pass call of duty, like the girl that makes stupid post in facebook, yea you can do that because it doesnt matter.
>>
>>7475971
oh my
>>
>>7472507
>>
>>7475992
/lit/ is /r9k/ 2.0, didn't ya know?
>>
nihilism and most negative philosophies are the result of having too much free time.

Learn a language or something occupy your mind so the weight of insignificance stops mattering.
>>
>>7475420
Thanks for this post.
>>
>>7472507
>thinking you can overcome the truth

You can delude yourself I guess, but you'll never "overcome" nihilism.
>>
Ulysses
>>
>>7477171
>thinking nihilism is the truth
>>
>>7475420
this guy is right.

intellectual suffering is the most pleb of all suffering. it's like you got smart enough to consider the bigger things and instead of approaching them rationally and furthering the growth of intellect, you just got sad "Now that I know how can I be happy? :(((((( muh ignorance IS bliss"
>>
>>7477171
Who cares if nihilism is the truth? In the end, it doesn't really matter at all.
>>
>>7474907
>You don't overcome nihilism.
>You just make up some bullshit in your head and make yourself think you overcame nihilism, but deep in your heart you still know that you're a nihilist.

Phew. I thought that I was the only one.
>>
>>7475420
>try to understand that it's not an intellectual thing but an emotional one
>the problem isn't "nothing matters" the problem is you aren't enjoying yourself
>find a way to enjoy yourself again

This is so simple, but it makes so much sense. Why does it seem like this is overlooked as often as it is?
>>
>>7472597
mfw when last night i listened to the alexander scoursby reading of luke and heard this bit and giggled at first, then found a pleasing rhythm, then found a truth 2deep4 this fag

and now i lol again

but to answer OP - Nietszche and KJV
>>
>>7475380
shortest prescription possible

ecclesiastes
>>
File: 1445215783103.png (257 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
1445215783103.png
257 KB, 500x333
>>
File: 23467345234.gif (2 MB, 220x160) Image search: [Google]
23467345234.gif
2 MB, 220x160
>>7477381
YOU FORGET THE FUCKING CAPRICE!
>>
File: 439.jpg (94 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
439.jpg
94 KB, 768x768
>>7477400
I DO WHAT I WANT FUCK YOU
>>
Just because no ultimate or eternal values/meanings/truths exist does not mean that no values/meanings/truths exist.

God's death is the death of the absolute and the death of the values that depend on an absolute.

Up to you to create new values that can serve life. New values that don't require a supernatural back-world.

If you want to go around believing wah wah thinks suck I should kill myself, then fine! Try out that way out life and see how it works.

Experimentation is the new method. We are all at sea.
>>
>>7472516

“Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.” -(attributed to Isaac Asimov)

OP, to "overcome" nihilism would require a small sacrifice of intellectual honesty, but since literally everything else about the human experience impels you toward anything else at all, you ought to be able to do this if you really want. And there's no reason not to, since it literally doesn't matter either way, and you would presumably prefer to have a more pleasant inner life.

Since you're already redpilled as the kids say, the best that you can do is to mollify your current outlook with existentialist lit.

You could of course take up a mainstream religion, but I'd rather you didn't.

Not that it matters.
>>
>>7477439
Did Asimov read the entire bible?
>>
I remember my first real existential crisis, I'd had minor ones throughout highschool where I realised I was gonna die one day and there'd be a eternity f nothingness and all that

but when I was 19 I was on the way to see the new star trek movie and remember stepping out of my car and it just hitting me

that reality/ time/ life was al an illusion and that in the blink of an eye i'd be on my deathbed and that nothingness would consume me for eternity

like that was the moment I fully comprehended the idea, if that makes sense

I couldn't enjoy the movie at all and for the next 4 months I thought abut death and the meaningless of life probably as often as I think about sex

It was very daunting to say the least, a lot of sleepless nights and such

I h been fucking around with acid a bit before it happened though so that probably exacerbated things
>>
>>7479062
apologies for the poor typing but i'm in bed with my laptop in the double chin claw stance and it's difficult to type
>>
camus
>>
>>7479062
DUDE LSD LMAO

DUDE DRUGS DONT ACTUALLY PROVIDE ANY INSIGHT THEY JUST MAKE THE MUNDANE SEEM DEEP LMAO

DUDE EGO DEATH IS A MEME LMAO

DUDE DRUG INDUCED EGO DEATH IS NOT REAL BECAUSE NOTHING CAN SEPERATE US FROM THE SUM OF OUR EXPERIENCES WITHOUT PERMANTENTLY DAMAGING THE BRAIN LMAO
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (163 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
163 KB, 1920x1080
>>7472533
>>
>>7479292
DUDE "DUDE DRUGS LMAO" LMAO
>>
Get laid
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.