[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/ How do I increase my intelligence? I heard that reading
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5
Hey /lit/
How do I increase my intelligence? I heard that reading can increase your IQ, where do I start? Are there any specific books that could help me?
>>
if you come HERE of all places and you ask THAT question expecting a real answer you are already beyond hope of being what most people would consider moderately intelligent. I don't say this to upset you.
>>
The Mortal Instruments
>>
>>7471711
try smoking some weed
>>
>>7471717
What's wrong with hearing what the /lit/ community has to say?
>>
Surround yourself with interesting and open minded people, read, get really good at one thing, be fit, critically think a lot, practice speech and vocab skills. I think this encompasses "intelligence" for most people but ymmv
>>
>>7471724
the /lit/ community, if it can even be considered as such, is an assembly composed of NEETs, the mentally ill, and pseudo-intellectual rejects among other breeds of abject failures. If you want to actually improve your life, start by getting out of here before its too late.
>>
>spatial
I'm terrible with directions, so I'm assuming I'm pretty spatially stupid.

>naturalistic
Considering my facility with pets and stuff, I'd say I'm above average in this category.

>musical
I completely lack rhythm: dumb (no pun intended).

>logical-mathematical
800 on SAT math tells me I'm good here.

>existential
I think 'I think, therefore I am,' therefore I am existentially adept.

>interpersonal
With ugly girls and males, I'm very skilled; with girls I want to fuck, I'm an impotent spore.

>bodily-kinesthetic
Last picked in middle school; won first place medal in sharpshooting: I am precise when given time, terrible with fluid activities.

>linguistic
I've been told I'm well spoken, and also that I'm a proficient writer, which corresponds to my keen sense of self-awareness that I am in fact a very benign, though acute narcissist.

>intra-personal
See: above.

>>7471711
This is how you do it, OP. Go through the list like I did–which is to say practice intra-personal meditation–and discern in which field you're lacking, then consciously reassess your behavior (mental and physical) and change it accordingly.

As for books, check out the Enchiridion, anything by Jung, and whatever else Google tells you to read. Definitely don't listen to me, though. (Critical thinking is an activity, a skill that you can improve through practice; it is little more than tackling and questioning your assumption. Question everything, and you will become smarter.)
>>
>>7471746
True to an extent. The only problem with this is as they say ,genius recognizes genius. If you're not smart, then coming to lit is not going to help as one has to sift through to find real intelligence. Opposed to perceived.
>>
>>7471711
>I heard that reading can increase your IQ, where do I start
You heard wrong. Like it or not, your raw intelligence will never increase; on the contrary, it will decay as you age. Enjoy what you have now: you won't have it forever.
>>
>>7471711
>existential
>bodily
letrashman.png
>>
>>7472044
What do you quantify as 'genius' though?
>>
you can't increase your IQ. don't get memed by the brain exercising shit (forget the name)
>>
>>7472212
genius is a quality, not a quantity.
>>
File: 1449899290449.jpg (220 KB, 900x1122) Image search: [Google]
1449899290449.jpg
220 KB, 900x1122
>>7471711
Grind exp and when you level up press "S" (or, alternatively, go manually into skills in the H.U.D.
Next you're gonna want to press the [+] INT (note: NOT [-] INT).
Enjoy, and repeat until max. level.
>>
>>7471711
Start with the basics maybe? Don't be afraid to ask yourself questions. Look for patterns and rules; keep it simple and go from there.
>>
Our neural system has been trained for thousands of years so it's impossible to become smarter. The only way to be wiser is to read more books and get that crystalized intelligence game going.
>>
>>7471717
Quit memeing. We're the smartest board on 4chan.

Ok, after typing that out I realize that's not saying much...
>>
>>7471711
I'm a solid 10/10 in every intelligence, although I don't consider some to be a "type of intelligence".
>>
>>7471711
>that feel when i involve all those aspects of intelligence into my daily life
>that feel when i never finished high school
>that feel when i am more intelligent and well rounded than average people my age
>people think i graduated college

motherfucker its so easy to be a smart person, just disregard 90% of society, and enjoy being alive. Its not rocket science. Listen to good music, eat different kinds of foods. Look out the window and wonder what its like to be a bird, then go outside and climb a tree. Talk to the tree! feel the tree! Make love to the tree! Just doing those four things is ALL of the "types of intelligence" in one little moment.

if you can figure out how that works you are as smart as you need to be. Trust me, im literally retarded.
>>
>>7474751
>people think i graduated college
The fact that you included this on your little self-adulatory list makes me distrust everything else you said.
>>
>>7474768
I have had people ask me what i studied in college, and i have to let them down and tell them i didnt go to college. When i talk to people they seem to get the impression that im highly educated. I guess i just give off a "refined" vibe. I dont know. But i dont try to do anything that makes me look smarter than other people. I just express myself in a multitude of ways. Iim intelligent enough to admit that im stupid as fuck, but its a sad reality that a great majority of common folk are stupider than me. Im not that impressive to people that are educated in some practical field. But average people arent called riffraff for nothing.
>>
>>7471711
Learning new skills help. I'd recommend an instrument, dancing, go/chess, a foreign language, programming, or... I dunno. There's probably some other shit. I've heard juggling's good?

Other than that aerobic exercise and lifting weights has done me some good. Sleeping regularly, exercise and cleaning up your diet's great too. Dual-n-back has shown some help with working memory. Diet's heavy in red and purple/blue fruits are definitely great as well. Meditation too.

My brain's fucking wrecked from my dad beating my head in with a hammer so improving my brain is a hobby of mine. I'm definitely a lot better then I was a few years ago but you can only polish a turd so much, OP. You'll probably never be Einstein or whatever.

Basically just challenge yourself. Struggling means you're growing. Read challenging books, watch challenging movies. Do shit you've never done before.

I'm sorry but we're kind of hopeless.
>>
Read the classics, starting with the Greeks. Don't focus on reading a lot of books, focus on reading well. See 'How to Read a Book' by Adler and 'The ABC of Reading' by Pound.
Write; write fiction, reports on topics that interest you, or essays on/reviews of the books you've read.
Learn new languages.
Give up 4chan and TV.
Only use your computer for n-back tests and Minesweeper.
Train your memory with the method of loci.
Play chess and sudoku.
Eat well and sleep well. Do light exercise if you have the time (and you probably do).
>>
>>7474873
Oh, and playing an instrument and learning music theory.
>>
File: images.jpg (5 KB, 195x160) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
5 KB, 195x160
>>7474959
Theory is cool,
Practice like a mule.
Knock in the Drum,
Do Om Padme Hum.
>>
>>7471711
IQ =/= intelligence

If intelligence is problem solving skills, then work on your critical thinking skills. Every day until you die.
>>
>>7475251
And learn, of course. Learn a lot, learn important disciplines (math, philosophy, history...)
>>
>>7475251
Search for "critical thinking fundation".
>>
i'd say the most important things are to keep an open mind, avoid complacency, and think. it definitely helps to read canonized literature, study subjects such as philosophy, history, or science, learn a new language or instrument, etc, but there's also no reason for you to abandon your other hobbies/interests that aren't necessarily associated with intellectualism. for example if you enjoy watching television there's no need to stop. try to seek out well-written shows, and actually analyze what you're watching. ultimately intelligence is more an approach than a specific set of activities, and you can intelligently watch television, or any other 'lowbrow' activity you tend to engage in.
>>
>>7471711
Meditation works. Proper diet and exercise also works.
>>
>>7471724
/lit/ isn't really a community, it's a bunch of jerks that treat eachother like faraway strangers, and i guess we kind of are
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.