[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how fit is /lit/? We've all seen the Socrates quote about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9
how fit is /lit/? We've all seen the Socrates quote about seeing what your body can do as well as many other tremendous cultural figures. A feeble body weakens the mind, you know?

So, /lit/ what do you do and how do you feel it affects your reading/writing?
>>
I don't think that is a real Socrates quote. It doesn't really match with the character either.

That aside I have a regime of bodyweight exercise (core holds, handstand practice, pull-ups, dips, deep step-ups, L-sits, push-ups, rows) and cardio (swimming, hill-sprints, long distance, etcetera).

It makes me feel great holistically, and I find it balances my mind for a more focused read.
>>
>>7471194
>he can only bench half his bodyweight
>>
>>7471170
I total 540 currently, run a program given by my coach.

It doesn't really affect anything other than it being a fun hobby.
>>
Played rugby 4 years, came here from /fit/. Probably better body than most people here

Tbh Baka
>>
>>7471203
Ohhh fuck world filters are off? Hell yeah baka senpai desu cuck
>>
>>7471187
Same.

And contrary to belief lifting's the gayest thing there is.
>>
>>7471206
Joyce could bench 2 plate
>>
Do you fellas think JFK really believed that? How many politicians really believed in the quotes that are attributed to them? This isn't a muh conspiracy or muh politicians are disingenuous sort of inquiry, it's more that so much is said out of populism or for the objective of getting particular legislature passed, it seems that it is all taken out of context. To make this /lit/, have you anons noticed that many successful political mottos are in iambic pentameter?
>>
>>7471187
Yeah I find that working out gives me a lot of 'balance' and it rounds me out as a person, although I'm probably a bit too obsessed with fitness.

>>7471194
>>7471206
half your bodyweight for a skinny guy is even less impressive. I'm at about 1.3x my bodyweight and it doesn't feel impressive.

>>7471203
I play rugby currently. Can I see your body (you know, no homo and all that)

>>7471219
I bet he went through a fitness phase, and even as a president I bet he exercised at least occasionally. Seems like a pretty balanced dude, til he got shot or whatever.
>>
I'm at that month of the year where I start thinking about getting in shape again. I've been doing this for the past 5 years and I'm never able to go past a few gym visits.

It's a shame I was never been able to develop the self-discipline to do it, because having a great body is the focus of at least half of my daydreams.
>>
i do 5x5. it helps my reading and writing because it makes me not be a hermit and i go on derives after gym
>>
>>7471219
no, but Reagan quoted a poem in his national address following the challenger disaster. Ben Lerner makes some reply insightful comments about the speech in 10:04
>>
i've gone back and forth between moderately fit and fat a few times in my life. currently trying to get in decent shape again, so in addition to curbing my caloric intake i also do cardio exercises roughly 5 times per week. i've noticed definite improvements in my mood and mental acuity this time around, but at other points in my life when i was exercising regularly i noticed no such improvements.
>>
File: 1439740222303.jpg (179 KB, 404x521) Image search: [Google]
1439740222303.jpg
179 KB, 404x521
>>7471170
My mother is currently associating with some undesirables who are attempting to transform her into an athlete of sorts, deprave specimens of mankind who regularly bowl their way to oblivion.
>>
>>7472462
goto bed ignatius
>>
Distance runner (not meme running, actual marathon running) and I just started lifting. It feels good to be strong, mensch.
>>
File: image.jpg (89 KB, 405x523) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89 KB, 405x523
>>7471170
I get all antsy and in a funk if I don't get my exercise. I can't sleep or eat right and can't work well at all.

Rowed in college and currently run, swim and lift to stay in shape for Jiu Jitsu competition. Want to simultaneously have a 1000 lb powerlifting total and run a 19:00 5k. I've had both of those before, but not at the same time.
>>
>>7472923
Just breathe into your balls man
>>
>>7471170
I think better after running. The difference is stark. Keeps the brain healthy.

I agree with that quote. The brain-body complex is real and indicative of the quality your of consciousness. The brain must be in a sound body for optimal functionality. Proper nutrition is especially important.
>>
I started lifting and played rugby in college. Yo-yoed from 140 pounds to 235, then down some and up some again (at 6'0"). Now I read a lot of primary source ancient history and use that as a motivator in the gym. I used to love those cheesy /fit/ motivational threads, but now I spend my workouts listening to movie soundtracks (kingdom of heaven, gladiator, 300, last samurai) while pumping myself up with memorized passages of shit like Herodotus and Livy. It sounds (and is) cheesy, but it's hard to not get pumped up when you're thinking about how much harder those dudes were thousands of years ago.

>workout getting too hard
>Spartans at Thermopylae "went into the field to meet death"
>you're a pussy

>not sure if you should attempt that final rep
>"What of your oath? Was it as beaten men that you swore to leave the field?"

>not feeling the workout, getting tired
>"We ask leave to play a man's, and a soldier's, part. We ask only for the worst dangers, the most exacting toil."

>considering going home early because you're tired
>"For what is left but to die, for a few men penned by an army in a ravine whence forest and mountain admit no escape. All that matters now is how we die: shall we offer our bodies helplessly, like cattle, to the knife, or, refusing passively to await the end shall we turn the strength of our anger to one last battle, till, daring and doing, we fall, drenched with their blood, amongst the heaped bodies and weapons of our dying enemies."

I literally almost weep every time I lift. I have no idea how people manage to work out casually; every time I step into the gym it's 90 minutes of war drums, crusader chants, and obsessing over ancient virtue. I literally shake with adrenaline before each of my sets, and can't hold normal conversations until I've left the gym.
>>
>>7473011
This. I always read a few excerpts from various sagas before working out. Problem is a guy asked if I could spot him and I ended up tearing his oesophagus out.
>>
I run 5km almost everyday, ran half a marathon last year. That's it pretty much, i'm not into lifting.
>>
>>7471170
>So, /lit/ what do you do and how do you feel it affects your reading/writing?
Nothing, and considering how unhealthy writers like Burroughs and Lowry were, I don't think it is a problem.
>>
>>7473388
>being a meme
>>
>>7471170
Olympic style weightlifting and general strength and athletics training. Plyos and stuff
Hella aesthetic
>>
File: image.jpg (199 KB, 789x1110) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
199 KB, 789x1110
>>7471295
No homo .
I've played all positions except scrumhalf and fly
Also prop
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 422x343) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 422x343
Brehs

BREEEHS
>>
>>7474744
>high test
>nice digits

10/10 post
>>
File: IMG_20151210_153848.jpg (2 MB, 2432x4320) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151210_153848.jpg
2 MB, 2432x4320
Pretty fit.
Varsity sport through college. I'm a couple years out from that but I still work out. The other day I did 21 pullups in a set.
>>
>>7474783
>21 pullups in a set
>weighing less than 300 pounds
Fucking twink shit, get the fuck out
>>
File: MishimaYukioSamurai[1].jpg (124 KB, 600x677) Image search: [Google]
MishimaYukioSamurai[1].jpg
124 KB, 600x677
I am a weak man with the body of a pre-teen Swedish boy.

However I agree with the idea that a healthy body is conducive to intellectual activity.

I will get /fit/ in the new year when I have funds. Mishima will be my inspiration.
>>
File: o-PEANUT-BUTTER-facebook.jpg (262 KB, 1536x1024) Image search: [Google]
o-PEANUT-BUTTER-facebook.jpg
262 KB, 1536x1024
>>7474789
4 your jelly
>>
>>7474806
Don't need funds to get fit.
>>
>>7474843
WHAT'S YOUR TOTAL YOU TWINK SHIT FUCK

FUCK YOUUUU
>>
>>7474890
Tell me more
>>
>>7474806
Bassie of Adrian?
>>
>>7474806
Why do you need funds? All you need is your body, a tree, and filling foods.

All is free but the latter, and it can be very cheap.
>>
>>7471203
post pic Tbh
>>
>>7474930
Fine
>>
>>7474962
Man You Done Fucked That Boi Stitches Up
>>
>>7474930
>>7474738
I posted here faggot
>>
>>7474904
have you heard of bodyweight exercises senpai?
>>
>>7475196
you look pretty good. rugby players in general do. though it's a dumb sport and you're concussing yourself.
>>
>>7475228
I've only had like 1 concussion, maybe 2. One time I passed out taking a new to the head. But I was dumb and had a non molded mouthpiece both times
If you get your technique down and you're strong enough you can talk/run safely
>>
>>7475228
>dumb sport
>the only way to escape postmodern 9-5 cubicle suicide
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.