[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which is your favorite literary movement and why isn't simbolism?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6
Which is your favorite literary movement and why isn't simbolism?
>>
Movements are spook ideologies desu senpai
>>
ideologylit is my favorite literary movement :^)
>>
>>7468870
because it's symbolism
>>
>>7468870
modernism and the early post-modernists
>>
>>7468870
>having a favourite literary movement

can always spot a dilettante
>>
Naturalism.
>>
nordic romanticism
>>
>>7469220
Arent there like sub-sections to each movement? Like modernism sorta dips into Flaubertian realism, then turns into Ulysses, then into Sarrautean abstraction, but Flaubert is grouped with realism and victorian era lit more than modernism.

I'm just saying, don't you think it's kinda dumb to state which movement is the best? Every movement is derivative of another and, aside for scholarly purposes, there's no real reason to separate authors so arbitrarily. I think Borges has that essay where he compares like Kafka and some other author's who are never considered together, but gives such compelling parallels you can't even say he's incorrect.
>>
German idealism baka desu senpai mochi mochi.
>>
I like OuLiPo because I have a penchant for Russian formalism, and OuLiPo is very much reliant on formalist ideas.
>>
File: JLI5163761.1394870436.580x580.jpg (26 KB, 382x580) Image search: [Google]
JLI5163761.1394870436.580x580.jpg
26 KB, 382x580
>>7472101
>>7468870
pretty kewl taste to be honest
>>
File: jm.jpg (15 KB, 336x369) Image search: [Google]
jm.jpg
15 KB, 336x369
>>
>>7470276
important thing to remember about modernism is that it wasn't really "about" novels while it was happening—anglophone modernism happened mostly in poetry. it's true that the shift of lit crit's attention to the novel was spurred by Ulysses, but most of the "modernist novels" weren't really discovered and celebrated by academics until the post Ulysses era, and what makes the modernist novel even more difficult is that people were still trying to work out what modernism was really about while we were already well into postmodernism at least in literature. so it's no surprise really that people define modernism by Ulysses, because that definition was handed down from lit critics who were all reading novels like Pynchon's which resembled it—but on the whole, modernism qua early 1900s anglophone lit really looks a lot more like The Waste Land by TS Eliot or Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird by Wallace Stevens than anything Joyce put out.
>>
>>7468883
>>7469230
>people who took egl 102 and nothing else
>>
Who surrealism here?
>>
>>7472101

autist who can't dance detected.
>>
>>7472188

I'm the guy you're referring to, and I have absolutely no idea what your post is supposed to mean. However, I appreciate your right to say it. Hope the day is treating you well.
>>
Decadent/Symbolist/Fin de Siecle writers are the best.

huysmans, mendes, bloy, mirbeau, lorrain, schnitzler, etc.

question. is zola still a realist writer? naturalim being a "subgenre" of it?

is modernism part of realism or a whole new thing? is everytthing from the 20th century modernist and not realist? what about japanese literature like kawabata and mishima, and books like "life and fate"?
>>
>>7468870
Romanticism. Any modern day Hugo I should be reading?
>>
>>7473322

What would modern romanticism look like?

Btw, flaubert > hugo
>>
French classicism, Symbolism, Modernism

>>7473419
>flaubert > hugo
That's a senseless comparison
>>
>>7468870

I like realism, especially the one of the XIX century, and that mostly because of Tolstoy.

But the one movement I really love is the Elizabethan poetic verse-drama, and the miracle of Shakespeare. The problem is that Shakespeare is so far above all other poets and playwrights that all I can say is that he was an isolated and especial case.
>>
File: tumblr_np6kvfhN6h1s7m3kxo1_500.png (229 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_np6kvfhN6h1s7m3kxo1_500.png
229 KB, 499x499
>>7472179

surrealist lit is excellent, I like Konrad Bayer and Julien Gracq
>>
File: 1437164338790.png (304 KB, 722x768) Image search: [Google]
1437164338790.png
304 KB, 722x768
Does radical feminism count?

Pls don't bully.
>>
File: tipping-intensifies.gif (141 KB, 287x344) Image search: [Google]
tipping-intensifies.gif
141 KB, 287x344
>>7474337
>>
>>7474337

>i only speak english
>>
>>7475798

Nope. But anyone who knows poetry can clearly see that Shakespeare is on a category all by himself.
>>
>>7474760
As a genre of comedy? Of course!
>>
>>7474760
kill yourself weebshit
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.