[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Satire
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2
File: palahniuk.jpg (461 KB, 1181x1195) Image search: [Google]
palahniuk.jpg
461 KB, 1181x1195
This year I read 3 Palahniuk books out of curiosity, cos theyr small
What r your opinions about his books?
They where fight club, invisible monsters n rant
>>
well i for one consider a really great source of meh
>>
Fight Club was okay
Invisible Monsters was so bad. I couldn't finish it.
>>
File: rant.jpg (253 KB, 500x436) Image search: [Google]
rant.jpg
253 KB, 500x436
>>7468168
I'm lukewarm when it comes to Palahniuk, but I loved Rant.
>>
>>7468168
These are his only good books. Not great, but entertaining and well thought out concepts.
>>
Fight Club was great.
Invisible Monsters started out promising but just got worse and worse until I had to put it down.
>>
>>7468237
>invisible monsters
>well thought out
here's an excerpt from it:
"On top of this, the fire sirens from way outside are crowning me queen of Migraine Town."
>>
I have only read his short story about anally masturbating with carrots.
>>
Fight Club is pretty entry level but it's still phenomenal. It remains one of my favorite books.
>>
>>7468468
Is that also the one with the boy and the pool?
>>
I read Choke while I was in jail, 8/10 would recommend to a pleb friend.
>>
>>7468697
the very same

as well as the one about urethrally masturbating with candle wax
>>
>>7468355
Wow what a realistic female thought
>>
Fight Club - Decent for a first book, movie is better
Survivor - Really fun and interesting
Invisible Monsters - Fun road trip and easy read
Choke - Kinda weird and up its own ass at times
Lullaby - My favorite, road trip full of fuck
Diary - The beginning of the end of my caring for him, decent twist, but over-used gay-themes
Haunted - Never read
Rant - Palahniuk's best book. Really well plotted and deserved sequels
Snuff - PURE SHIT, not even worth the couple hours it might take to read
Pygmy - Fun, interesting propaganda story that doesn't make total sense in the end
Tell-All - Don't remember at all, just lipstick in a cave
Damned - This is where I stopped reading Palahniuk, didn't finish
Invisible Monsters Remix - Picked up a few weeks ago, not as good as it was the first time reading it, searching for missing pages was 'eghh'
Doomed - Sequel to Damned, haven't read, did pick up with IMR
Beautiful You - Dunno
Make Something Up - Dunno either
Fight Club 2 - Graphic novel, haven't finished. Cameron Stewart has me blocked on twitter for disagreeing with feminism. (Pretty ironic he's illustrating Palahniuk)
>>
>>7468168

I thought Haunted was good as an alternate to something like a collection of short stories Stephen King would do.

It actually made me think of him more like a modern King. I don't think he'll ever have $400 million in his bank account, though.
>>
>>7469307
This will be my new way of recommending stuff.

>I read <insert book here> while I was in jail, 8/10 would recommend to a pleb friend.

>I watcher <insert tv show here> while I was in jail, 8/10 would recommend to a pleb friend.

>I played <insert videogame here> while I was in jail, 8/10 would recommend to a pleb friend.
>>
I'm currently reading Choke and it really feels like Fight Club but different elements swapped out. The mother being project mayhem for example
I've also slightly chuckled exactly once, but i'm only about a third of the way through it.
And the way he describes sex is just shitty and kind of nauseating, but maybe that's intentional
>>
>>7469523
>deserved sequels

Why do people do this?
A book says what it has to say in one book, or it doesn't.
Sequels are for mass market kids.
>>
>>7470927
Because it was originally solicited as having sequels. Meanwhile Doomed is the book that got and will receive another sequel.

>>7470913
Palahniuk novels tend to suffer from this short-coming.
>>
>>7468355
On top of this, the fire sirens from way outside are crowning me queen of Migraine Town.

That's...that's like really bad. I would expect so much better from Chuck from how amazing Fight Club was.
>>
>>7473310
I mean, you have to consider that the narrator of Invisible Monsters is a fashion model with head trauma, rather than the businessman-turned-radical-anarchist with split personalities that made Fight Club so interesting.
>>
overly embellished edgy works of little to no real value concerning the individual growth and development of the reader
good for teens and angsty manchildren
>>
>>7474427
with that said, I quite enjoyed rant and the alternative perspective it offered relating to timelines, memory and consciousness
okay on third thought I admit that I am the edgy teen with my judgemental talking points and I am actually just jealous that I have yet to write anything remotely as successful and renowned as he has
good writer for entry level thinkers. evokes a good portion of emotion and consideration
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.