[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>On the mood to read something with a nice, immersive story
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: moby-dick[1].jpg (34 KB, 245x399) Image search: [Google]
moby-dick[1].jpg
34 KB, 245x399
>On the mood to read something with a nice, immersive story
>Decide to read this
>Call me Ishmael
>Describes every man as a horny gay guy
>Every other chapter stops to talk about some useless nonsense

Story is pretty enjoyable, though. But fuck, I'm on page 200 and I suspect I've only really read about 100.
Does it ever stop?
>>
>>Describes every man as a horny gay guy

>projecting off the charts
>>
>>7465173
I wish, man. I don't care if the protagonist is gay or not, but for fucks sake.
>>
File: Moby Dick.jpg (573 KB, 1858x935) Image search: [Google]
Moby Dick.jpg
573 KB, 1858x935
>>7465170
>>Describes every man as a horny gay guy

that's just male friendship, admiration and bonding, nothing gay about that.

>>Every other chapter stops to talk about some useless nonsense

Those useless chapters usually have some sort of philosophical nugget in them or practical info that helps the story out later on.

Finish it. The ending is amazing and redeems much of the "boring" parts.
>>
>>7465178
I will, I don't like leaving books in half. Except for Dead Souls, but not like I had an option.
I was just saying. I expected a great story and he always breaks it down with the studies about whales, or a chapter describing something in the most boring way possible.

It's just that I really didn't expect that. It feels like it's a book more about the life in the sea and whale hunting from a study point of view instead of a whale hunting story.
>>
>>7465170
Hu? The story is only like the last 30 pages.

Moby Dick is one of the greatest books ever written, but not for the plot, but rather for Melville's beautiful rambling, jumping from one topic to the next while still managing to somehow find coherent themes among them.
Yeah, that one chapter about cetiology is a bit dry (but funny if you have any modern biological knowledge), but it is absolutely worth it for later chapters like "White" or "The Crow's Nest".

And about the gay stuff, maybe you look at it through not just your temporary lense, but also your personal lense. He describes camradery, which was an admirable and usual thing back then. It hasn't been until the later 20th century that two guys being really close friends was considered a hint to their homosexuality. (And only very recently has this standpoint kinda deteriorated with the emergence of the term "bromance".)
>>
>>7465187
>It feels like it's a book more about the life in the sea and whale hunting from a study point of view instead of a whale hunting story.

it's much more epic than just a whale hunting story, it's about life and God and all sorts of shit

a more simple fishing story is The Old Man and the Sea
>>
>>7465188
>>7465194
Maybe my problem was reading this when expecting something else, then.
Just got out from a good but awfully slow read, so I wanted the opposite this time, I thought Moby Dick would be like that.
>>
An interesting thing about Moby Dick is that you can basically see the writing process while reading the book. It seems like Melville got up every morning and started a new chapter until he didn't feel like writing anymore for that day, only to apruptly end it and begin a new chapter the next day.
Some chapters only last a few pages, he came up with an idea at ten and felt finished with it at noon. Other chapters are much longer, and you can see Melville at his desk writing enthusiastically into the late night.
>>
>>7465197
You thought a 700 page novel from 1851 about whalehunting would be a fast paced story?
>>
>>7465199
That's true, I can see that.

>>7465203
Yeah, I'm probably just retarded.
>>
>>7465204
>Yeah, I'm probably just retarded.
probably
>>
>>7465170
Nope, it keeps right on going and it's an absolute goddamned masterpiece because of it.
>>
>>7465178
Needs more Jonah/OT
>>
>>7465170
I admit I walked into reading this for the same reason.
I felt that the final 30 pages alone was worth everything.
>>
>>7465170
Sounds like you've never had a good frined
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.