[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Norse Mythology
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
Hey /lit/ how are you doing this fine morn? I have a question I would love your advice on, What is the best book('s) to read about all the Norse Mythology stories and adventurous whilst I'm teaching myself Icelandic to read the Eddas in their original language?
>>
not him, but bump out of interest
>>
>>7464643
Norse is barbarism for plebs
Celtic is for patricians
>>
>>7464643
Hai, Icelander here, there is this book called Snorra-Edda written by Snorri Sturluson. It goes through basicly the whole of the mythology alongside some stories of mainly Thor and Loki
>>
>>7465230
hey, As I said in my post I'm teaching myself Icelandic to read both Eddas in their original language, but mean while I want to read the stories in English from other sources that are more modern and collect all the stories in a fun to read story kind and way but that are written good and are accurate and true to the source.
>>
Norse is the comfiest mythology.
>>
Recently read The Gospel of Loki
It basically retells most of the known stories as a single continuous one from Loki's point of view
It was pretty good, some weak points that didn't live up to expectations of course, but it was worth it in my opinion
>>
>>7465271
In that case I can´t help since I only have read those but trying to teach yourself icelandic is going to take a really long time, it´s a very complicated language which few foreigners can learn but furthermore will you very likely have a hard time due to the fact that even many adults have a hard time understanding the meaning of a lot of what goes on in those books. If you do however learn it I suggest you read the Icelanders Saga aswell, really good read those books.
>>
>>7464643
>>7465271
And honestly if your interest level is so high that you would learn a new language for it, one that is considdered one of the most difficult in the world to learn, why would you not just enroll in the university of iceland and actually get a degree in norse mythology and really learn icelandic simultaneously
>>
Gonna hijack a bit, but what about Asian mythology, mainly japanese, is there any recommended readings?
>>
>>7465676
I'm doing it as an intellectual hobby to enjoy learning a language that truly fascinate me, currently got too much stuff to do where I'm at to leave it all behind and move to Iceland although I'd love to do it someday. Thanks for your reply though and yeah Icelandic is frustratingly hard but It's so beautiful I really enjoy practising it
>>
>>7466799
Are you OP?
what did you think of my>>7465602 suggestion?
>>
>>7467023
Yeah he´s OP

>>7466799
I feel you bruv, reading my comment makes me feel like I was harsher than intended, I´d honestly like to do the same thing you´re doing except with russian, since Russia really is increadible, not like the comunism part but just the culture and story. And like how russian people are just so badass but also like different and I would really like to explore that.
>>
>>7467023
Oh sounds pretty cool i will definitely check it out thanks, I'd rather it being more of a each story for itself kind of thing though instead of the 'Loki's view point' gimmick, not that I think it's inherently bad or something just seems less interesting to me for my first time reading the stories themselves.
>>
>>7467050
I'm actually learning Icelandic as a promise I've made to an Icelander on this board on a thread I've started some months ago that regarded researching the Norse Mythos, and he told me that the only way to do it is learning Icelandic and reading the Eddas in the original language, so I've vowed to do so, is it per chance you anon? anyway if he happens to see this thread, I'm still on it man!
>>
>>7467189
Ah I´m not, just found 4chan and lit like /lit/terally 4 days ago. aaaaaaaand I love it
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.