[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw just turned 25 and haven't even written a novel yet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4
>tfw just turned 25 and haven't even written a novel yet
>>
>24
>haven't written anything since poetry class junior year of college
>>
>>7464393
Read Zadie's White Teeth.

she was 24 when she published it
>>
/r/ing that huge list of famous authors who first published by 25 or earlier
>>
So get writing
>>
>>7464393
Novels by twentysomethings are foul anyway.
>>
is it just me or do most writers not churn shit out until they're old? i don't worry about it personally, just practice the act of writing and material will come when you've actually lived more life
>>
>implying conspicuously young writers are a good thing
>>
>>7464490
Buut I want it nyaaoooooowww
>>
>>7464490
I know of some scholars historically who would spend ten, twenty, thirty years on a single text before releasing it because they wanted it to be at least adequate in their own eyes.
>>
>>7464393
It's never too late.
>>
>>7464573
Nope, talent is biological and your clock is ticking
>>
>>7464393

write in your twenties, publish in your thirties you stupid nigger
>>
john locke was fifty-seven when he wrote two treatises of government, his first writings. This is not a competition.
>>
>>7464587
>This is not a competition
It is, it's very much a competition of cultural and intellectual relevance
>>
>>7464581
nope, the human brain matures at around age 25, logic, reason and empathy will now start to work properly and produce real results not teen/YA beliefs. OP has the slow road to 38 when the final brain improvements happen over a few years and the full realisation of what life is happens. Until you hit 25 approx you havent read a book as an adult and you cannot truely understand a book written by one until at least then, same goes for writing. Writing before this point is based on false premise, the brain is missing pieces needed for understanding.
>>
>>7464597
is this why i always feel like i'm a fucking idiot kid?
>>
File: 1356808075104.jpg (38 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1356808075104.jpg
38 KB, 512x384
>be engineer
>don't have to write a book to be successful
>>
>>7464393
nobody wants a book by a 20 year old anymore. People want to read books by smelly 50+ year olds.
>>
>>7464731
>be engineer
That's not better. All the engineers I know are joyless penny-punchers who don't even know what to do if they take a vacation.
>>
>>7464740
sounds like you know fags
>>
>>7464741
so you XD fagg
>>
File: image.jpg (206 KB, 750x839) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
206 KB, 750x839
>that face when 18 and I already have
>>
>>7464393
What twenty year old has shit to say about shit that's worth shit?
>>
>>7464768
Less Than Zero was honestly really good.
>>
>>7464781
yea but disaffected drug-addled youth has been done to death. tao lin is just the nail in the coffin to a dead genre. idk what else youths are good at
>>
>>7464799
When I was 18 I was raped by my girlfriend. I'm a male.
>>
>>7464835
Pretend "she" was a trap, and write your book about it.
Bestseller because it's empowering and overthrowing the cis shit patriarchy or something.
>>
Gabriel García Márquez and Haruki Murakami wrote their first novel with 30

It's never too late
>>
File: mkjpg.jpg (650 KB, 1920x1058) Image search: [Google]
mkjpg.jpg
650 KB, 1920x1058
>tfw read the western canon before I was 17
>>
>>7464393
LOL im just 23 and finished my first novel couple weeks back
gonna start the next one over christmas
get fucked shithead
>>
Happy birthday, OP.
>>
>>7465241
Fuck off Pedro
>>
>>7464393
Well, forget about ever being part of the canon.
Not that you're missing out on anything, anyway
>>
Pynchon wrote V. by 25. Also basically all of his stories in Slow Learner were written when he was 21 and they're all better than anything I've ever written.

My friend said its easier for a kid under 30 to get something published because publishers wanna get in on a new and developing voice, but you still need to have talent.

My goal is still a novel by 25, but how exactly it's gonna happen I dont know.

I just want to be great
>>
>>7465386
Ah, I'm glad your MLP fanfic is going well, you should be proud of yourself!
>>
>>7465437
I'm like 100 pages into v. and not really feeling it DESU.

Hoping it picks up.

26 myself unpublished. But i have a novel about 300 pages in that i have no hope for despite lots of passion being poured into it :^)
>>
>>7464393

Brett Easton Edgelord was published by 21.

Feels bad, dunnit?
>>
>>7465449
I have a good 75 page narrative on word right now that I thought was good until I started reading it again and now Im going to rewrite the entire thing.

>inb4 this keeps happening until Im dead

Bro you didn't like the nosejob chapter? Or chapter 3? Chapter this is like Wandering Rocks from Ulysses, I love it, and he actually wrote the bulk of it when he was my age

You got some stuff to look forward to. My least favorite chapter in the book is when theyre locked in a mansion in africa during a war, but I got into an argument on here a year or so ago where one guy said it's his favorite part so. I dunno. Hopefully you like one of them.
>>
>>7464835

Care to share?

Not even for deviant purposes. I have a male friend who was raped too.

It kind of fucked him up. He hardly told anyone. Most people thought it was a joke when he told them.
>>
>>7464740
AKA you have only met one engineer in your entire life, and he was like that.
>>
>>7464393
I'm 23 and I kid myself that I'll be an author or a musician some day. I've accomplished nothing and have no drive, depression is described as the inability to envision a future for yourself and that makes sense to me. I don't know what to do. I don't care. I just want to lay here.
>>
>tfw just turned 23 and haven't even kissed a girl yet
>>
>>7465517
lie*
>>
>>7465524
>implying that's a bad thing
Stay pure, anon
>>
>>7464595
Get a load of Judge Holden here
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.