[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it good or a meme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: images.duckduckgo.com(21).jpg (10 KB, 216x300) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(21).jpg
10 KB, 216x300
I'm on page 76 and its just okay. Does it get any better?
>>
Fuck off.
>>
>>7464305
That's not very kind.
>>
Depends. Will your analysis of the text get any better?
>>
>>7464336
Probably not. I just mean to ask if it picks up soon. They're pretty much just planning the spice mining right now.
>>
>>7464364
Yeah, it does. Keep reading.
>>
File: 911.png (182 KB, 442x341) Image search: [Google]
911.png
182 KB, 442x341
>>7464336
Books should be fun, anon. If you have to "digest" a fantasy book then the author has failed.
>>
>>7464381
Thanks
>>
>>7464298
The only thing I've ever heard about DUNE is that it's full of exposition and manchild insight. Maybe you expecting the wrong experience.
>>
Also for anyone who has read the series. Should I just read the first book or the whole series.

I hear the only good book is the first one and it drops off after that.
>>
>>7464298

It's got some fairly vanilla/archaic ideas about the nature of political power and how one gains it (personal virtue, bravery, noblesse oblige), all wrapped up in a sci-fi wrapper. For its genre and time, it also has a pretty realistic view of sexual power dynamics.

Not the AMAZING book as the fans make it out to be, but definitely a good read along the lines of Foundation or 2001.

There's also a charmingly oblivious endorsement of imperialism and the usual cliches about Eastern exoticism typical of Western authors without a clue, but again, charming.

Get past the clumsy nomenclature of the first few chapters (Bene Gesserit etc.) and it does get better. Read on.

7/10
>>
>>7464389
That's the only thing you've heard about Dune?
You sure it's not the only thing you heard about your future?
>>
>>7464398
Read 1 if you just want to "have read" Dune and see how it is. Read 1 and 2 if you want to complete a main story. Read 1 to 4 if you want to have a complete story and for 4 which is the best. Read 1 to 6 if you want to read all of Herbert's work but don't care that 6 doesn't really end. Don't read his son's works.
>>
>>7464398
I'd suggest try to read Dune: Messiah, it's pretty much the rest of Dune because Herbert had to cut it for the publishing company
>>
>>7464386
hey ned, was the bible 'fun'?
>>
>>7464364
jesus christ, why don't you read the whole thing? do you imagine that it'll take months to finish it and at the end you might not like the book and you'll think "i wasted three months on this"? seriously? do you really have anything better to do with your life? just READ THE DAMN THING.
>>
File: Butlerian_Jihad.jpg (121 KB, 800x407) Image search: [Google]
Butlerian_Jihad.jpg
121 KB, 800x407
>>7464389
so you haven't read it, but you feel the need to express an opinion on it. are there any other books you haven't read that you want to tell us all about?
>>
I couldnt even get past the third page

too many stupid made-up words
>>
>>7464720
awww. there there. i understand many libraries have Enid Blyton's works, which you might find less challenging. although i'd advise you to avoid the Magic Faraway tree books, because i understand they have a couple of made-up words.
>>
>>7464717
Mate calm down. I just wanted to discuss the book.
>>
>>7465814
Don't bother reading it. It is very poorly written and has no real standout quality or interest in it. I suggest reading other thing.
>>
>>7465834
Like what?
>>
I forced myself through the first 3 books in the hopes of it that they'd finally get interesting. they didn't.
>>
I read the first two and liked them both. I actually almost liked the second one better.
>>
>>7464298
Depends why you find it just OK. If you have high literary standards and find the writing mediocre then no, it doesn't get better. If you don't mind the prose but find the plot boring then yes, it does.
>>
>>7466666
OP here. I'm gonna be honest. I'm 19 and haven't read a book since high school when I read a decent amount so my standards aren't high.

It's okay so far. I'm 110 pages in now.
>>
>>7464695
yes
>>
>>7464298

It does take an age to to get going.

I took a while to get into it but once it 'clicked' I was hooked.

10/10 Sci Fi

6.9/10 LitFic
>>
You could always come back to it.
First time I tried reading Dune I dropped it before they left for Arrakis.
Picked it up a few months later and almost finished it in one sitting.
>>
File: uhhh.jpg (1 MB, 1514x1337) Image search: [Google]
uhhh.jpg
1 MB, 1514x1337
>>7466788
>6.9/10 LitFic
plen , i bet you didn't even realise it's an allegory of a typified philosophical journey through the various ideological stages. And then there's still 5 more ij the series.
>>
File: Fantasy_Fags.jpg (319 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
Fantasy_Fags.jpg
319 KB, 1280x800
>>7466806

>5 more in the series
>>
>>7466692
Then yes, sounds like you'll probably end up enjoying it. A column of smoke by day, a pillar of fire by night.
>>
Minus points for all the I know you know I know...

Beyond that, it's pretty great.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.