[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Any comments on Flaubert's Madame Bovary?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: cover.jpg (18 KB, 211x300) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
18 KB, 211x300
Any comments on Flaubert's Madame Bovary?
>>
Mhm.

Flaubert is top three French writers, including playwrights

Fuck everyone that disagrees

inb4 monolingual plebs start moaning about Hugo and touching themselves
>>
i read vargas llosa 'la nina mala' and after i read it they told me i needed to read bovary first so im doing that.
>>
>>7463711
Sounds like you're mistaking /lit/ with reddit
>>
>>7463711
Read his books in french and don't find them particularly interesting 't'b'h'

Better french realism writers out there to be honest family
>>
>>7463699
when i started reading it, I loathed the beginning. I was told it was a "realist" novel and all this corny hyper-coincedence shit was going down (Charles' wife just up and SUDDENLY dies for no plausible reason)

Bovary is also one of the most despicable pieces of shit I've ever had the misfortune to read about, so when I read the book as a critique of her and culminating towards her crash and burn, I was pretty satisfied
>>
>>7463711

1. Antonin Artaud
2. Georges Bataille
3. Raymond Roussel

So, no, you're wrong.
>>
>>7464276
It corresponded to the french realism movement which was basically a big fuck you to the "classicisme" movement it preceded

The main idea is to represent reality but also be slightly provocative
Death was never showed beforehand, so Flaubert took it as an excuse to incorporate it in the book, although I will admit it was a bit tasteless
>>
>>7464294
I didn't found Baudelaire or Mallarmé on your list.
>>
>>7464313
I disagree... The final scene where Emma is dead on her bed and she vomits rotten blood is totally awesome... I really like all the death scenes on this book... actually, they are my favorite ones.

And we need caution to think Flaubert when we think about him as a realistic writer. There's is an awesome irony tipical from modern literature in his books (remember Bouvard et Pecuchet). We cannot trust in all the narrator says, he don't want to tell us the true facts of the story.
>>
>>7463711
Indeed.
>>
>>7464343
>I didn't find the only other french writers I have read on your list.
>>
nice body of work
>>
>>7464270
They're not. Which nobody will argue about, but his prose isn't much beyond invisible, either, and that one constitutes a foolproof test when it comes to fat hacks pretending they know something of french literature.
>>
>>7464463
That's because I'm a different person.
>>
It's a rather mundane story.
>>
a precursor to the best fiction of the 20th century. read the Davis translation.
>>
>>7464463
BTFO
>>
>>7464543
thats literally the point
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.