[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lovecraft
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: lovecraft.jpg (214 KB, 913x1304) Image search: [Google]
lovecraft.jpg
214 KB, 913x1304
I just bought this, what is the recommended reading order for Lovecraft? Is it set up to just read from start to finish? I know his stuff is loosely connected and I just want to make sure I understand all the references and stuff as I read through everything.
>>
>>7462857
If you read chronologically you'll be fine. I don't think he ever wrote any prequels to his works himself.
>>
just read the fucking book
>>
chronologically you'd be OK fine. but if you want a loose recommendation on some of the mythos related stories to read, here is an order:

Dagon
Call of Cthulu
The Shadow Out of Time
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Mound
At the Mountains of Madness

Can read other short stories in between, but I wouldn't read Mountains of Madness prior to Dagon, for example.

Unrelated, but The Colour Out of Space is best Lovecraft.
>>
>>7462857
He's a pulp author, not a German idealist philosopher. You can read it however you like.
>>
>>7463378
There's no continuity between the stories? I know he's a pulp writer but I remember reading there is some light continuity between stories. I'd prefer to be able to pick up on it.
>>
>>7463396
either way you read it, you'll pick up on it...
>>
>>7463423
I rather understand what the author is talking about as I read, rather than retroactively.
>>
>>7463465
you always understand something retroactively... the beginning only makes sense after you've read the end.

and what is rereading
>>
>>7463531
I hear what you're saying but I still see no reason not to read in the intended order. It will make sense either way, yeah, but I like to understand along the way as the author wrote it.
>>
>>7463656
there is no intended order. unless the author puts the works in a series, it doesn't matter.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.