[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/NYC/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7
File: nyc.jpg (126 KB, 950x534) Image search: [Google]
nyc.jpg
126 KB, 950x534
Who /NYC/ here? I know a bunch of you pretensious faggos are NYU/muh brooklyn/mommy money insuffilites with muh Lena Eatsham/muh Sincerity, show yourselves.

ITT: Not a meetup thread, but share best bookstores, comfy spots, readings, feels ect.

>implying I won't go to S&Co anyway
>>
This is now a meetup thread. Who wants to awkwardly drink coffee and talk about Tao Lin?
>>
>>7462516
Bookstores: Strand for second-hand browsing. Book Culture for their academic remainders. But honestly, the best book purchasing these days is used through abe and amazon (it pains me to say).

Places to read: Central Park (not giving away my secret spaces though). Butler Library and Avery Library at Columbia. Brooklyn main library isn't bad. For cafe spots, I like Whole Foods on Houston because you can sit for a long time and not be hassled. Also there are plenty of bars with happy hours in the East Village and West Village where you can sit for an hour or two over a $3 pint.
>>
File: nyc.jpg (15 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
nyc.jpg
15 KB, 240x240
>>7462532
OP here, fuck u m8, I don't want to meet any sperglords and y-you too my way through memes and autism just to get a post-modern take on my current book.

>>7462672
>amazon
Besides that, reading in Central Park is the bee's knees. I'm on the East side, and North Central Park is always the perfect mix of tranquilly empty and comfy.

I've got a list of quality bookstores in my area, but it's hard to find anything that isn't Oprah-tier and order-from Amazon services [Cut out the middleman at that point].

>Whole Foods
nah man, reading at a local 24/7 dinner is where it's at.

Pic related, as it's both a French/English bookstore put on by the French Embassy, and has the comfiest second floor reading room to sneak your own reads in. 10/10
>>
File: nypl main.jpg (924 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
nypl main.jpg
924 KB, 1000x667
i'm gone now but i was /nyc/ for six years.

reading/writing spots:
nypl rose room is a must
sheep meadow
local diners
museum cafes
>>
>>7462858
Is that Albertine? I've heard good things but haven't been there. They have readings and events there too. Locals diners are cool, if they let you hang around for long enough. The trouble in NYC is finding spaces where you can sit without spending much money. Taking a book to the Met is another option too. I like that Asian courtyard up the top. And the American courtyard with all the Tiffany windows. The Pierpont Morgan library is another cool space, but costs a bit to get in to.
>>
Where my /Toronto/ familia at?
>>
File: nyc.jpg (135 KB, 1024x683) Image search: [Google]
nyc.jpg
135 KB, 1024x683
OP again

>>7462950
Forgot the link, but it's Albertine. Don't know shit about France, so I always feel alien there, [I know, pleb, I've always read LatinAmerican, hang me]

I'm an Art History major, so taking a book to the Met is hard for me, ie conflict of interests, but I've enjoyed it when I have.

I have a diner that lets me stay. One of the staff was so taken by my handwriting that he just watched me write for a hour or so. Just ordered coffee and a sandwhich to much on. Coffee being the black, endless, broiler cup variety. 10/10 experience.

>>7462907
Last time I went the rose room was closed for renovations, scheduled to be closed until next year if I remember right. Rest of the building is tourist attraction or barren empty rooms, decidely uncomfy.

>>7462980
>Thread is NYC
>Posts Toronto
>This nigga

Anyone know any good spots for readings that aren't >muh Slam? I've been invited to a few by lit pals I've befriended, but most seem like theme-night, the death of good poetry tier. How do I into NYC poetry scene without running into Tao or 60 year old shitcore?

Posting another comfy bookstore to contribute, Crawford Doyle Booksellers.
>>
Emily the Hegelian prostitute, if you are in this thread, please respond.
>>
You're all bourgeois faggots. Why don't you suck some dick for heroin baggies like a real New Yorker?
>>
>>7463893
>implying that's not what I'm doing right now.
>>
>>7463893
because this isn't the 1970s anymore?
>>
>>7462532
go to bed, tao
>>
>>7463893
>taunting the invasion force with their own language
womens suffragists bombed shit and cut phone lines
>>
if any nyc litbros want to hang out i'd actually be down after new years

i promise to not be spergy and there will be no discussion of post modernism desu
>>
Where the fuck was this thread when I was actually in NYC? I ran out of money and moved to Texas.

I kind of like it here, nowadays. I like the wide open skies.
>>
>>7463893
tao pls go

>>7464122
i-its not likw i-is want to or anythingg

op hrere, drunk, fk u fgtds and thid entire city
>>
>>7464769
hungover bump
>>
>>7464769
>>7465712

senpai u ok?
>>
Lived in Hell's Kitchen for a year. Gay capital of the city. Got a little uncomfortable at times, but still a pretty cool place.

If anyone's around there, check out Kahve. Good coffee, comfy place, though expensive.
>>
>>7465735
Had feel related powerdrinking night. Am k now.

>sage doesn't work anymore, disregard blogpost

>>7465766
Walked by it a few times, always seemed to pretentious for a black coffee guy. Too many Sex and Cities to make it comfy. May try again.

Adding James Cummins bookseller, another gem, featuring tons of rare old and obscure stuff, good place to not take your wallet.
>>
File: n.jpg (175 KB, 1000x638) Image search: [Google]
n.jpg
175 KB, 1000x638
>>7466505
Fucking CAPTCHA deleted pic.
>>
>institutionalized hipster-dom

no thanks
>>
>>7466524
What does Portland have to do with this thread?
>>
>>7466571
There it's self-voluntary. Scarier.
>>
Hey Faggots,
I live in the projects, and I hate every single one of you. All of you are spoiled, hipster, pseuds who spend every second of their day talking about restaurants. You are everything bad in the world.

>>7463202
>Anyone know any good spots for readings that aren't >muh Slam?

Seconding this.
>>
MAST BOOKS is king

>>7462516
book culture >>>> S&Co.
>>
>>7466655
Last Friday I had dinner at Ai Fiori. I started with some pan seared scallops and followed it with a fennel sausage risotto, and topped it off with poached lobster. I finished with a dark chocolate and grapefruit confit mixture, and went through a bottle of Barolo.

I continued my Michael White adventure by brunching at Vaucluse on the East Side on Saturday, where I had the white burger. I was still hungry so I followed it with a lobster ravioli. I paired it with their Royal Street 437 cocktail.

For dinner I went down to LES for the Contra tasting menu. It was my second time there but last time I just ordered small plates, so it was a first time experience for the full six course tasting. Their menu changes every week anyways. This week it was a beet and pistachio salad, shrimp dumpling, roasted skate, steak, persimmon, and toasted buckwheat mousse dinner. The service was very slow and I felt like the dinner wasn’t as satisfying as it could be. They ran out of bread. Unacceptable for a Michelin one star to be honest.

I decided to go back to the warm embrace of Michael White establishments by having Sunday lunch at Marea. I started with a fluke crudo course, and had a second grilled octopus appetizer. The main course was a sea urchin pasta and I concluded with another crudo course, this time a ceviche of various fishes.

Sunday dinner was spent at Eleven Madison Park, the best three star restaurant in the city in my opinion, though I’ve yet to try Masa. Exquisite as always, and I indulged in a wine pairing.

I dined at 7 Michelin stars over the course of the weekend, and I’m sure Vaucluse will make the list with at least one star on next year’s rankings.

BTW nice trips into dubs.
>>
File: n.jpg (56 KB, 635x422) Image search: [Google]
n.jpg
56 KB, 635x422
>>7467246
OP here, that was such a thorough execution I'm not even mad.

>>7466655
>implying the Military isn't paying for my rent
I seriously don't know how wageslaves do it.

L-litererary l-lifestyle r-right guys?
>>
I went to Hunter College and live in Queens.

but I'm more /phil/ than /lit/ desu
>>
>>7467246
axe is that u
>>
>>7466524
the true literary lifestyle
>>
I'm studying in Dublin right now, but I'll be back in NYC for Winter Break.

tfw live in staten island and the best reading I get done was on the boat

I usually showed up an hour early for my internship so I could sit in the empty, airconditioned room and read.

I-I'd be down for a m-meetup.
>>
>>7470128
same f-senpai
desu I still haven't finished stoner; i'll get done with it as soon as i'm done with finals and i'm away from these league-playing, binge-drinking faggots
>>
>>7470140
>f-senpai

kek'd

>>7470128
I'm out of town next two weeks but I'm down to try to throw something together for after NY. When does break end?
>>
File: dfw skeptical.png (281 KB, 638x434) Image search: [Google]
dfw skeptical.png
281 KB, 638x434
>>7470140
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.