[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I haven't read a book for my own pleasure in years. (not
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
I haven't read a book for my own pleasure in years. (not counting those I was forced to read in college) Recommend me something. I wanna get back to reading, but everything seems to be not interesting enough. No pleb shit you get at every "most popular books ever" lists, recommend me something actually good.
>>
READ THE FUCKING STICKY
>>
Moby-Dick
>>
>>7461662
But I have no idea what I want to read. I haven't touched a book in years and I feel like a total idiot who's missing on something cool.I will go with anything ppl will recommend me here.
>>
File: 1365475090228[1].jpg (418 KB, 747x1417) Image search: [Google]
1365475090228[1].jpg
418 KB, 747x1417
the
fucking
>>
File: 1432475026395.jpg (884 KB, 1032x2451) Image search: [Google]
1432475026395.jpg
884 KB, 1032x2451
>No pleb shit
you haven't even read anything, you don't just buy proust and suddenly you're a patrician. you need to work your way up. Catcher in the Rye may be pleb or whatever, but it's even more pleb to have read Ulysses and never read Catcher.
>>
>>7461670
READ THE STICKY
>>
>>7461677
That mentality is pleb as fuck. The Patriciandom that requires a select path to reach is not the eternal Patriciandom.
>>
>>7461677
>pleb to have read Ulysses and never read Catcher
Good grief is that what you're taught in US schools
>>
>>7461699
all I'm saying is a person can read all the meme hits but if they've only read like fourty books overall and haven't even read what a basic high school curriculum would teach then they are terribly far from patricianhood. It's like the guitarist who can shred out solos but can't make a fucking G chord.
>>
>>7461677
>you haven't even read anything, you don't just buy proust and suddenly you're a patrician. you need to work your way up.

For some people, not for others. The book that got me back into reading was The Idiot by Dostoevsky. Proust isn't exactly difficult to read, he's just long. Someone could easily start with Swann's Way.
>>
>>7461852
Judging from OP's post, he would think ISOLT is boring as fuck
>>
>>7461659
Read pleb shit. It'll get you back into actually reading rather than thinking about reading or talking about reading on 4chan.

I'm not even talking about the shit in the sticky. I'm talking really pleb shit. Read something schlocky. Read Seveneves or The Martian or Metro. Read Temeraire or lotr or some vidya bullshit. Getting back into reading by diving into something dry is how old people take ten years to finish a coffee table accessory. Just read. The rest will come.
>>
>>7462233
Follow-up statement:

Out of the ones I listed, Seveneves got me back into books, but that's just me.
>>
>>7461659

I find Andrea Dworkin's books immensely interesting. I read through 5-6 of them already.
http://radfem.org/dworkin

Probably best to read in order of publication.
>>
>>7461659
S T I C K Y
T
I
C
K
Y
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.