[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Buddhism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: The Laws of Manu.jpg (196 KB, 1024x971) Image search: [Google]
The Laws of Manu.jpg
196 KB, 1024x971
Buddhism thread
>>
If I wanted to get my mom a book on buddhism for Christmas, what would be a good choice? I would prefer an ancient primary text but it has to be comprehensible for an uneducated menopausal possibly-milf believer of quack past life regression therapy.
>>
>>7460827
uhhh....
>>
>>7460827

What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula. Its slightly biased in favor of the authors particular sect/school but still does a pretty good job of concisely and clearly explaining the essentials of Buddhism while using a lot of quotes from the Pali Canon as evidence. Its also close to 100 pages with large type so its an easy read.
Also

>milf

post a pic
>>
>>7460817
>Laws of Manu
Buddhism?

You're doing it wrong, dear anon.
>>
>>7461193
You're correct, the Buddha opposed Vedic religion. He opened a strong camp against it and freed people from the exploitative teachings of Veda. He expounded equality as opposed to the Vedic teachings which discriminated between different classes.
>>
>>7460827
>>
Literally Hinduism. Buddhists don't wear tilakas.
>>
>>7460827
start with the Greeks
>>
>>7463703
>pic related is the Manusmrti
Lol OP could have at least tried
>>
>>7460827
I don't know about those "past life experiences" people have been having, but I did use buddhist meditation techniques to probe my earliest memories. It was like dusting off old neural pathways. Someone on /lit/ even recommended me the text I followed, it was called Mindfulness in Plain English.
>>
>>7464053
>but I did use buddhist meditation techniques to probe my earliest memories.
What did you do?
>>
>>7464087
Nothing special. I have been practicing vipassana meditation and instead of physical phenomenon, I directed it to my earliest memories where I probed for some time until I had completely uncovered all my earliest most primitive memories. Nothing of importance, really, but it was an interesting experience.
>>
>>7464112
That's really interesting. Thanks.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.