[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are either Harper's Magazine or The New Yorker worth subscribing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: The-New-Yorker.jpg (41 KB, 550x438) Image search: [Google]
The-New-Yorker.jpg
41 KB, 550x438
Are either Harper's Magazine or The New Yorker worth subscribing to?
>>
>mfw i was enjoying reading their short fiction online and then this thing popped up that said i had to pay
>c u c k e d a g a i n 2 0 1 5
>>
Harper's still forces you to submit short stories by mail, fuck them.
>>
Seems like a waste of money to me.
>>
>>7460423
You can get around the paywall by browsing incognito
>>
If you're a true intellectual, subscribe to n+1
>>
>>7460413
Only rarely for fiction but their articles are good once you learn their weekly talking points to shoehorn into every issue and filter that out.

Harper's is good.

>>7460439
n+1, and the Paris Review. If you're a true intellectual, also subscribe to Science or Nature.
>>
We should come up with a /lit/ subscription guide.

The Economist is the fairly obvious choice for news. As reactionary and quite frankly disgusting as their viewpoints often are, there's simply no other English-language news source as well-written and finely tuned in on global issues.
>>
Baffled is good and underrated

Jacobin is dope

Economist is trash

True Leddit is 6/10

Harpers is New Yorker++

Bunkermag is hilariously bad

Vice has its moments, but I'd never go there without a link

Same with n+1

I read LA review of books for some reason
>>
>>7460439
thanks based anon
Harpers has good articles.
NYer has good features and good fiction.
NYer is more in line wih the hegemonic discourse and snobby. Harpers is more touchy feelie hippy dippie.
But both have some of the best writing out there.
>>
The idea of subscribing to and regularly reading a magazine just seems stupid to me. We have the internet, people. Get with the times.
>>
>>7460629
>>7460701
I love it how whenever The New Yorker comes up on /lit/ someone always has to mention the Economist. It's a great magazine but has nothing to do with the New Yorker: extremely short articles, current events, statistics. It's a very dry magazine with virtually no arts. That's what makes it so great. Probably the best news magazine for sure but someone asking if they're going to enjoy the New Yorker is probably not looking for this.

Last year my sister got me a subscription the New Yorker for Christmas and I read a few articles every week. Some are brilliant; I read one from Karl Ove Knausgaard (sp?) on the Brevik mass-murder in Norway that absolutely blew my mind, I'm not familiar with this writer at all but his research and intuition on the subject was absolutely brilliant. Other times they will run a feature on the growing popularity of televised highschool football that runs 9 pages. The movie reviews are hilarious, I often don't even go to the movies more than twice a year but Anthony Lane is really funny and Richard Brody writes interesting things about classic cinema.

Can't tell you much about the short stories or poetry; I often skip them and go back and read them months after the fact if it's a writer I'm familiar with.

The Paris Review is also a great magazine but I would never subscribe to it. I buy it at the magazine stand if I know who they're interviewing or the artists they are featuring but occasionally it's 3/4ths nobodies (not saying often; often it's solid writers and artists) and I can snag a quick interview at the bookstore and just go home without paying $60 or whatever for 4 of them a year.
>>
>>7461000

>Other times they will run a feature on the growing popularity of televised highschool football that runs 9 pages.

"Oooga booga, these weird redneck animals watching sports on tv while we watch super sophisticated soap operas like mad men and sip mocachinofrappolattes while buying "Trayvon Martin" tshirts using our phones!"
>>
>>7461010
yes, pretty much, this made me smile
>>
>>7460756
I agree with this guy, it's 2015, come on people
>>
>>7460428
keeps bugs like you out
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.