[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on this book? Have to read this for my lit class next year.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 2344324.png (548 KB, 429x652) Image search: [Google]
2344324.png
548 KB, 429x652
Thoughts on this book? Have to read this for my lit class next year.
>>
File: dfw skeptical.png (281 KB, 638x434) Image search: [Google]
dfw skeptical.png
281 KB, 638x434
>>7460041
>>
>>7460041
sure i'll bite.

prose is eh bordering on cringe.
characterization really depends on the character (at least he seems to be getting better; reading mistborn and elantris hurt a bit)
worldbuilding is great.
cosmere metaplot hints wooo
also it has mai waifu
>>
>>7460041
elantris and mistborn are better because they're tighter

way of kings has all the elements of what makes brandon sanderson's stories enjoyable, but they're presented in a bloated 'muh ten billion words and multipe POV characters fantasy epic' style that reduces the impact of everything
>>
>>7460041

Why in the hell would a lit class assign you the first book of an incomplete ten volume epic? It makes no sense.
>>
>>7460121
ah but elantris and mistborn have less deepest lore
and shitty waifus
>>
Christ almighty, what kind of sperglord fedora king is your professor? This shit is badly written and comically bloated even by genre standards.
>>
the worldbuilding was fun and interesting but the prose was super awful

if you get over the shitty prose (and it is really shitty like really fucking shitty) it's a pretty good read
>>
File: 432432423.jpg (88 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
432432423.jpg
88 KB, 1280x720
>>7460115
Shallan is a straight up anime highschool girl
>>
>>7460206
what no not shallan. shallan thinks she's a YA protagonist and refuses to deal with any of her problems. Poor girl needs a hug and some hot chocolate and a better family environment so she can stop trying so hard to be funny, not a relationship.
>>
>>7460041
Honestly the only parts I really enjoyed were the sections on the General. The rest was fairly meh but I enjoyed his struggle to reorganize his nation and his budding romance with his brothers exwife.
>>
>>7460041
I liked it a lot. I felt for the protagonist.
>>
>>7460123
The first book works as a standalone, not too many cliffhangers to make you cut yourself, you just want to continue.

>>7460115
>>7460250
Better not be Jas, she my soon-to-be milf waifu, I would cut you for her.
>>
>>7460204
How do you finish something you feel has
>really shitty like really fucking shitty
prose and conclude that
>it's a pretty good read
More importantly, why would you finish it?
>>
does kaladin eventually rape shallan? pls respond
>>
>>7461022
oh my fucking god. step away from my waifu.
I mean I appreciate your good taste but Jasnah does not approve of violence over romance killing those guys is totally fine though which means the Elsecaller's oaths probably deal with doing what has to be done. the further you get from the center of the chart, the more extreme the order gets (dustbringers, skybreakers).
>>
>>7461261
>but Jasnah does not approve of violence over romance

Why is it then, usually with a visage of blissful rapture on her face, she asks me to "make it hurt more", when I am ouching and punishing her pussy?

>>7461241
There a some "sparks" between them, but so far(only 2 books out) he hasn't raped her, in either the conventional way(by force) or inconventional way(buyers remorse /I liked it at the time and said yes, but I will scream rape to elude social mockery for my choices).
>>
So this IS bait, right?
>>
>>7461241
Kaladin's oaths prevent him from raping anybody, and he's too focused on hating lighteyes/protecting everyone else anyways to think about sex.

Shallan on the other hand has no moral compunctions about the use of her powers, lies, cheats, steals, and demands boots, and her oaths compel her to face the truth about herself, no matter what she does to others. The Lightweaver's Surges lend themselves to infiltration and assassination.

honestly it's more likely she rapes him. Kaladin's suffering will never be over.
>>
>>7461500
anon pls stop you're turning me on. jasnah with a slight pain kink is my fetish
>>
>>7462333
I always thought (before the reveal) that Shallan's daddy diddled her, thought she was a broken cunt with daddy issues.....
>>
It's fun fantasy, but why the fuck are you reading it in a lit class?

Is it a sci-fi/fantasy class? That's the only way I could see it being worthy of study, and even then you'd be hard pressed to find any revelations about the human condition in it.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.