[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DAOISM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 1449103072443s.jpg (8 KB, 187x250) Image search: [Google]
1449103072443s.jpg
8 KB, 187x250
okay i don't like eastern stuff but i'll bait

what do i read to eliminate desire? the tao te ching?
>>
kill yourself my man
>>
take a high dosage of an SSRI
>>
>>7459621
You gotta go buddhism if you want to eliminate desire
read the Dhammapada and learn to meditate senpai.
>>
>>7459622
wouldn't work

>>7459627
no thanks
>>
>>7459639
>imblying anyone living and not braindead can eliminate desire
>>
>>7459639
i'm planning to learn sanskrit so I don't want to spoil the fun of those books just yet, that's why I'm asking about daoism
>>
So, you desire to eliminate desire.

Do I have this right?
>>
>>7459653
among other things yes
>>
why not just satiate your desires instead of quitting like a little bitch
>>
>>7459675
there's not enough heroin and pussy in the world to satiate me
>>
>>7459687
ed

gy
>>
>>7459621
Daoism doesn't advocate the elimination of desire.

Everything has its place in the Dao, desire and suffering included.

You're thinking of Buddhism.
>>
>>7459692
yes my interest in daoism is edgy

is modern /lit/ so trash you people can't even recommend me whether to get the mitchell or the zhengkun tao te ching?
>>
>>7459700
really? welp that's what i get for listening to my friends. guess i'll read the dhammapada.
>>
>>7459700
Don't listen to this guy, OP.

Read the Tao Te Ching. There is a lot in there about eliminating desire.
>>
>>7459706
>is modern /lit/ so trash you people can't even recommend me whether to get the mitchell or the zhengkun tao te ching?

Things have really gone downhill, here. You're better off asking /his/ if you want serious answers.

[I recommend the Jonathan Star translate. It's pricey but superior.]
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.