[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone else also guilty of “Tsundoku” - the Japanese word
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
Anyone else also guilty of “Tsundoku” - the Japanese word for the new books that pile up on our shelves?
>>
I'm guilty of this, and glad to know that there's a word for it.
>>
>>7459246
I have a little over 550 books that I own and haven't read/have only partially read.

Which means I've got nearly 100 per year since I started buying them that I haven't yet read. So probably yeah OP.
>>
>>7459246
Tsundoku Calibre is what I suffer from.
>>
>>7459329
>I have a little over 550 books that I own and haven't read/have only partially read.
what the fuck?
why not actually read them before buying new stuff? I can't even think of 550 books I want to read now 2bh.
>>
/v/ and steam games
>>
>>7459585
steam games? are there games people play with steam? what?
>>
>>7459589
steam is a online video game store + distribution service.

they have mega sales a few times a year where lots of games go up to 50%, even 75%, or even 90% off. you can buy some games for like $3 or something.

people rack up 100s of games in their steam libraries and never play them.
>>
>>7459594
oh ok. i'm back from the nes days so i haven't really been following this stuff
>>
>>7459315
What idiot doesn't know this already? This onion is derivative and redundant.
>>
Yes, but the pile is only very slowly getting bigger. I probably read 9 out of every 10 books bought
>>
>>7459605
Several people in STEM fields would disagree. At least I know people who I study with who would disagree. For what reason? I don't know.
>>
>>7459605
/sci/
>>
>>7459456
I am. It's not like I wasn't reading anything while I was buying, I technically read more every year than I bought overall. Just not equally as much. I'm mostly only buying the things I read as ebooks and want to have now these days, only a few a month added in that are unread.

I can think of lots more than 550 I want to read in addition to those. My wishlist is over 4,000 books long.
>>
>>7459668

I made wishlists too. What was the point? Just cataloging the acknowledgment of the book.
>>
>>7459715
I have mine on Amazon, which allows me to sort by price. So, I get to see when they're awfully cheap. Amazon does this weird thing where brand new books dramatically drop in price at what seems like random.

For example,

http://www.amazon.com/Plum-Golden-Vase-Chin-Ping/dp/0691016143/

Just got it the other day and it's only been getting cheaper. Normally $40, less than $4 right now.

So, keeping wishlists is a pretty practical thing for me. Having as many books that I want to read as I do on them, I'm always certain to have a few of these $2-4 books randomly discounted to pick up.
>>
>>7459745
holy shit, that's cheap. this happens often? I need to start up a wishlist.
>>
>>7459751
Like I said, no idea what causes it, but there's always something from my lists doing it. I don't imagine it's a glitch, probably something to do with overstock.
>>
>>7459594

It's sort of the same thing but steam is just too easy to get games. Humble bundle where you pay like five bucks for one video game you want + 4 others you might install once.
>>
File: 1396925738664.jpg (74 KB, 300x297) Image search: [Google]
1396925738664.jpg
74 KB, 300x297
>>7459329
>partially read books

>walden
>suttree
>journey to the end of the night
>vineland
>pale fire
>ulysses
>>
You either just made this post on Reddit, or you're plain copying. I don't know which is worse.
>>
>>7459797
Came here to say this :^)
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.