[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How's your novel anon?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7
File: FailedWriterStarterKitHD.jpg (402 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
FailedWriterStarterKitHD.jpg
402 KB, 1920x1080
How's your novel coming along?

Are you happy with your results so far?

How long did it take you until now?

How long do you need to go on?
>>
>>7459122
There's nothing wrong with white-out.
>>
>>7459184
If you ain't white, you ain't right.
>>
>>7459122
It's challenging. First draft has potential, but it isn't done yet.
>>
15k words in. only planning a novella. it's coming along well.
>>
>>7459663
Do you have intentions to publish it? If so, how long do you think a novella should be?
>>
>>7459665
i mean sure, if someone will take it. i'll probably just post it on my blog after editing it a few times.

like 30ishk words.
>>
I'm around 50k words in but I've been editing and thinking about things a bunch. It's a story I've thought about since I was a kid and that has been developing into something really complex. It's my life's work. I don't want to write anything else save this and what I must for my work.

I will only publish if I like it well enough but I don't think I ever will.
>>
>>7459122
3 years into it.
10 pages written for the novel.
300 pages written for the world building.
... it might never end.
>>
>>7459674
>like 30ishk words.
Ah. I'm got about 29 right now. I ask because when I'm writing I wonder about how stories that long are published and the only way I could see it being published would be if I wrote another novella/story of a similar length.
Self's Cock and Bull
Salinger's Franny and Zooey

If I included the 29k word one in a collection with much shorter stories the 29k one would diminish everything else.
>>
Challenging. Accepted it needs to be rewritten a third time. Depressing. Began 1st page again today.
160 pages back on the shelf.
>>
File: artemisiv2.png (2 MB, 960x1344) Image search: [Google]
artemisiv2.png
2 MB, 960x1344
158 K words. Coming along quite well, I can only do so many more drafts. I've been working on it on and off for just about a year now.

Pic is for the cover of the first I put online.
>>
>>7459739
>158 K words
>about a year
That's impressive. What's it about?
You should consider making your book's cover a watercolor/ pastel painting.
>>
>>7459122

>How's your novel coming along?
50k so far, looking like another 30 to go. Haven't written anything in the last couple of weeks. Might just spend 2 weeks doing 1k a day.

>Are you happy with your results so far?
I'm being genuine, I honestly think that what i've written is quite good. As a first draft i'm not looking forward to editing but if I can clean it up it might just make it very good.

>How long did it take you until now?
One year on and off, I started out on three projects but am now just focusing on the one.

>How long do you need to go on?
One month to finish most likely, and probably another year of editing/proof reading.
>>
>>7459795
Thanks. I've been editing it for about six months so the first four or five were the actual writing process.

I'll link the synopsis.

https://bloodbiscuit.wordpress.com/2015/11/28/the-seraphs-synopsis/

And that's actually a really good idea. I've always fantasized about having actual art for book covers, but I'll have to save that for if they ever get published. I just had a decent designer I know whip that one up.
>>
>>7459826
Sounds like a good read, man.
As I was reading the synopsis, I couldn't help but think about this book being set in the present day world. I think it could make a more interesting story. Maybe ground everything in more realistic terms. Just a thought. Don't mean any offence by it.
Whatever you choose, I'll probably buy a copy when you publish, to see what I'm up against kek.

>I've always fantasized about having actual art for book covers
Well check out this out friend :)
publicdomainreview.org
all. free.
>>
I have no idea how its going to look once completed, but I'm having a lot of fun writing it.
I've been righting since late august, at almost 200 pages now. It was initially supposed to be a novella, but the story's going in a direction different than expected; I'll probably be finished with it by the end of this month, and then its on to editing.
>>
>>7459910
I kinda see what you're saying. As in it would make more sense/be more believable if the story wasn't in sci-fi settings?

And thanks! I'll give that a peep.
>>
File: temple-0[1].jpg (60 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
temple-0[1].jpg
60 KB, 640x360
>>7459122
>fude nib
>writing
no thanks confucius
>>
>>7459122
Haven't written it yet, still stuck in the planning stage.
Couldn't say. It's probably gotten better.
A year planning, dunno how many writing.
50-60,000 words
>>
>>7459933
Yeah, in a way.

I guess my main complaint of science fiction is that it's a little bit too nonsensical. The rules are, quite literally: there are no rules, anything is possible. And when there are rules, their just representations of things we see everyday totalitarian governments, juntas, different alien races, utopias. I really do believe that most stories in science fiction could be more enveloping if they were set in reality, albeit a slightly elevated reality. Think of the work of Kafka. Many of his stories could have been written in outer space, but they're so much more fun and they've got so much more punch because their set in reality.

I really do like the plot. I'm just of the mind that it might work better on the ground than in the sky.
>>
>>7459122

I don't even know. I had a clear idea of what I was doing, and I was sticking to it as much as I could, but I'm not entirely happy with it. Currently standing around 45k words, will probably finish it at around 60k. But that'll be a very rough first draft, and there's a lot I'll end up cutting and re-writing. Been working on it for about 4 months now, and I believe I'll finish in about 1 or 2 more considering uni and work.

My biggest worry though is that this is my second novel. Never did anything with the first novel out of fear being confirmed that I'm pretty shitty as a writer. Had a few people read it and tell me it was good, but I just haven't worked up the nerve. I've been editing that one every other weekend, and I'm just shaking my head at it.

Are there any tips to dealing with this? Or do I just have to ignore it and push on with submitting it to a publisher anyway?
>>
>>7459122
I've had the idea for my novel the whole year now but I've just barely started on the actual writing. It's hard, since I'm a perfectionist with my choice of words, but writing something I think it's good feels great.
>>
>>7459966
Are you waiting for it to write itself?
>>
It's a memoir, and I'm paused halfway through drafting to make revisions I've been dreading
Yes, but there's a lot of work left to be done
Most of a year kicking the idea around and two months writing
Who knows
>>
>Anon, we're going to make a high profile movie adaptation of your book, but the producers demand some changes to the script. For one, the male lead will be played by an African-American. You cool with that?

How will you respond?
>>
>>7459690
Quit your day job ;-)

>>7459122
Zero word count, messing around with index cards, planning stage.
At least it's progress.
Years of daydreaming.
I don't know.
>>
File: orbit.jpg (35 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
orbit.jpg
35 KB, 500x333
>>7461429
>he thinks procrastinating with planning is progress
>>
I had 4 sentences of notes that I turned into a 2200 word short story; I now have five pages of notes on it in order to turn the short into a 50,000-60,000 novella. Absolutely procrastinating but I always do that then sit down and pump it all out in a short time. It stews in my head.
>>
>>7459122
Not very well, I just keep writing poetry instead. It's more fun, but the novel has more mass appeal; for better or worse.

I'll try to get it published before I try with the poems. But it's starting to become a pretty nice little collection at this point.
>>
>>7461491
Wanna post an excerpt of one of your poems?
>>
i'm writing a script, which i will also direct. the first act and the third is finished but i'm really struggling to make the middle any good

Are you happy with your results so far?
yes

How long did it take you until now?
two months

How long do you need to go on?
i don't know
>>
>>7459122
What are those black books on the top left?

What are the bulldog clips for?

Is the extra belt to hang yourself when your author career doesn't work out?

Why would you need white out when you are using sticky pads?

I assume the sticky pads are for when you are on the road, and an idea strikes you?
>>
>>7461564
>What are those black books on the top left?
Moleskin notebooks.
>>
File: 1391440452335.gif (999 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
1391440452335.gif
999 KB, 250x251
Do people prefer stories written in first person over third person, or the other way around?
>>
>>7461585
I prefer it the other way around
>>
>>7461598
fag
>>
>>7461564
>What are the bulldog clips for?
you can make a 'hipster pdf' with them and index cards.
used to use them. now i just use a little dollar store notebook
>>
File: hm-coke.jpg (28 KB, 400x267) Image search: [Google]
hm-coke.jpg
28 KB, 400x267
>>7459122
I put off my historical fiction novel for my YA novel. The historical one is at 15k. My YA novel also requires a pile of fucking research, because that's how I roll as a writer. First day off on a three week break, planning to scour my books and get all of the outlining and characters completely figured out this week. Will probably aim for 75-100k total... want to make at least one sequel to it. The project links together a few things I'm interested in, so I'm psyched and think the writing itself will be relatively easy since it's YA...

Hoping to write at least a third of the book before I'm back at work. Probably could use picture related to get through it.
>>
>>7459711
Or you could just publish it alone as a novella?
People like short books
>>
>>7459686
Great to see someone dedicated to that one life's work. Hopefully you can be satisfied with it.
>>
>>7461585
It depends on your subject.
>>7461564
>I assume the sticky pads are for when you are on the road, and an idea strikes you?
They are bristol cards, Nabokov used them.
>Is the extra belt to hang yourself when your author career doesn't work out?
The extra belt is to hang yourself, if your author career works out.
>>
>>7461630
>It depends on your subject.
Fantasy action and character study. Yeah I know, >Fantasy.
>>
>>7461564

I assumed the belt was for auto-erotic asphyxiation.
>>
>>7461643
>Fantasy
Haha, fantasy. There's no shame in fantasy, if you write it the right way.

>Fantasy action and character study
Still not enough to give a good opinion.
Some pointers:
If you're, by the off chance, German, check out "Einführung in die Erzähltheorie" by Martínez and Scheffel. Great things to be learned about voice, distance, focus and mode, lots of examples etc.

If you want to do it more intuitively: How are your favorite authors/books doing it? Model after them.

Last Strugatzki book I read was third person with some very first-person-ish inner monologues. Mix up, if you need to.
>>
>>7461669
Sorry I am not being more specific. I just am really new to writing stuff so I am not sure how to describe it otherwise.I appreciate the suggestion though, even if I am not a german.
>How are your favorite authors/books doing it? Model after them.
>Lovecraft
Fuck.
>>
>>7459739
>genre fiction
What are you doing on this board? You belong on reddit
>>
>>7459122
50K words. right now its coming along pretty well, thought i fucked up and kept the plot stuck but I found an interesting way to move on and get what I wanted to do done. Wish I'd put more time in it.
Not really after a year i felt the first draft should be done, but atleast its not sci-fi or fantasy which gives me motive to keep working on it (Knowing im not Reddit fag tier)
1 Year
No idea. Depends on productivity
>>
>>7462631
>being proud of not writing scifi or fantasy
>having a plot
don't meme, or meme harder
>>
That's a shit tier Holden-cap
>>
I got about 100k words this year, about 50k of which is usable. feels neither good nor bad man, but I will get back at it in 2016 when I feel psychologically like it is a fresh start, and hopefully then I'll finish it out. I started in the summer, after I quit drinking. getting sober helped tremendously, contrary to what I thought when I was a drunk.
>>
>>7461618
People might, but publishers don't.
>>
>>7462755
>everything i dont like is a meme
>>
>>7459122
Moleskine is based you fag
>>
File: image.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Coming along nicely. It's a bit of religious fiction to cleanse the palate before delving into a new series.
>>
>>7460556
That's fine, get a good actor.
>>
>>7461615
What's the YA novel about?
>>
>>7461615
>because that's how I roll as a writer."
Nigga, I can smell your Starbucks and MacBook from here. GTFO
>>
>>7465354
>religious fiction
*tips fedora*
explain anyway
>>
I have 10 pages of random conversation written in a screenplay style. I can't figure out a plot and I don't want it to be slice of life. I detest any sort of forced plot I try to write. The people I based the writing on don't like the samples I've written much. I don't know what to do. Keep writing? Start over? I don't know.
>>
I'm roughly 30k words in. A bad first draft has lead to a much better revision. I started a new job and haven't been able to write as much but I hope to finish this draft by spring and have a beta-readable product for summer.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.