[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would you like to see in a fantasy set in ancient Greek times?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: Update2.png (2 MB, 1600x1562) Image search: [Google]
Update2.png
2 MB, 1600x1562
What would you like to see in a fantasy set in ancient Greek times?
>>
Seeing as I'm not 12, I'd mostly just be reacting to how well written it was and not just to the shallowest aspects of the setting, so idgaf.
>>
>>7458346
You're so pleb it hurts
>>
>>7458356
that says what would you like to see. a lot different from want.
>>
>>7458383
I fucking hate people like you.
>>
As someone who's written more than a little historical fantasy dealing with this time, I always like to see the contrast between normal humans and demigods.

In the Age of Heroes, even a standard human was bigger and stronger and faster than what the Greeks knew in their day. Yet they're supposed to be as nothing compared to the sons of gods and goddesses. Achilles, Theseus, Pericles, Sarpedon--they're like one-man armies, ripping apart any obstacle and force that stands in their way. I like to see this presented viscerally in ancient Greek fantasy. A whole army should be like tissue paper to a demigod.
>>
>>7458418
*that should be Perseus, not Pericles. I'm well aware Pericles wasn't a demigod.
>>
>>7458418
power like that is really hard to balance. I really like the concept of having people be people and everything else around them being the fantasy part. Because of this I like the idea of wars and focusing on strategy. Afterall the mind is important to the greeks.

How would you go about making someone strong enough to rip apart whole armies without making them the instant best. People wouldnt stand a chance.

Unless there is a balance in where they are and how many. the more the more balanced I would assume.
>>
>>7458334
sweaty gay sex
>>
An exploration of the benefits of pederasty.
>>
>>7458491
This desu senpai.
>>
File: Latro in the Mist.jpg (28 KB, 309x475) Image search: [Google]
Latro in the Mist.jpg
28 KB, 309x475
The magical realism of Herodotus Histories taken at face value
>>
>>7459798
I'd also like to see that but an exploration of Greek values and culture from the perspective of an ethnic outsider
>>
even though you say it's a fantasy: accuracy,

to the best of their ability according to the scholarship, which is highly interpretive in and of itself, with many gaps to be filled in by the creative and insightful mind.
>>
>>7460511
>>7459798
Latro in the Mist is very good if that's what you're looking for. One can easily tell that Wolfe has Started with the Greeks at least 20 times.
>>
>>7458489
they're mostly balanced by their flawed characters and by the ephemeral nature of their power. Achilles for example is OP as fuck but mostly when he gets in the mood. Likewise he stops for petty shit. This is how you balance OP heroes, by countering their superhuman strength and skill by hugely exacerbating their 'human' tendancies such as pride, rage, hubris etc
>>
>>7458334
David Gemmell wrote 5 books in 2 series on exactly that.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.