[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any reason to read this shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: the-quran.jpg (14 KB, 201x310) Image search: [Google]
the-quran.jpg
14 KB, 201x310
Is there any reason to read this shit?
>>
to have a better understanding of the culture of over 1 billion people

though you could prob get away with reading some sort of condensed version or w/e
>>
Short version: no
>>
I general don't force yourself to read anything you are not compelled to read by your own curiosity
>>
Naw senpai, only pseuds say otherwise. Islam is the Marxism of religion
>>
>>7458296
https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S7436519
>>
>>7458296
yes, it provides the context for all islamic art and literature

if you're going to read anything written in arabic, ofc start with quran
>>
>>7458376
Many people start with the Qur'an, but I'd recommend pre-Islamic poems first to get a feel for basic cultural mindset in Islam's advent and to demonstrate the Qur'an's superior literary quality within Arabic and why pagan Arabs who fought against Muhammad were still confounded by its beauty, waving it off as the production of magic.

They are
>al-Mu`allaqaat
>al-Mufadhaliyaat
>Kitaab al-Hamaasah
>al-Asma`iyyaat
>>
File: 1418088931347.jpg (85 KB, 606x539) Image search: [Google]
1418088931347.jpg
85 KB, 606x539
>>7458376
>islamic art
>>
>>7458775
Are you interested in Islamic Art?
Read
>Islamic Art and Architecture, 650-1250
>The Art and Architecture of Islam, 1250-1800

I also recently read Seyyed Hossein Nasr's Islamic Art and Spirituality which was brilliant.
>>
File: Raffael_Stanza_della_Segnatura.jpg (309 KB, 1200x959) Image search: [Google]
Raffael_Stanza_della_Segnatura.jpg
309 KB, 1200x959
>>7458783
No thanks, I'm not looking at shit cartoons and masturbatory wallpaper. We Europeans had the first in the middle ages, and the second I'd much rather do without
>>
>>7459990
I don't think you've read those books based on your response.
>>
I read it for my first year lit course
never understood why that was necessary
>>
>>7459997
That's a pretty good guess since I started my post with "No thanks"

Show me an Islamic painting on par with something by Michelangelo and I will cede to your request.
>>
>>7460018
I don't care if you want to be a philistine and ignorant willfully. Read them if you want to learn or don't if you don't.
>>
File: mohammad_sliced_Inferno.jpg (69 KB, 511x453) Image search: [Google]
mohammad_sliced_Inferno.jpg
69 KB, 511x453
>>7460048
So you admit there is nothing contain'd in Islam to match such genius as >>7459990 ?
>>
>>7458402
I've always heard this about the Qur'an but never understood where it came from. What exactly is so beautiful about it?

Not contesting just curious and ignorant.
>>
>>7458402
>to demonstrate the Qur'an's superior literary quality within Arabic

Could you expand on this a bit?
>>
>>7459999
Nice quads.
>>
>>7460072
>>7460126
Poetic quality, literary elements, tonal quality that gives way to being memorized easily, symmetry (one in two, two in one), carrying superficial and profound meaning, etc.

I'd recommend listening to it to understand a little bit more.

It's quality is why it's the basis for modern Arabic today and made certain tribal dialects the standard Arabic.
>>
>>7460139
Did you read it in Arabic or English? I'm a Muslim, but was too lazy to try and learn to read and speak Arabic, so I can only understand it when spoken to.

I've read it in English, so I guess that's why I can't entirely see the poetic, literary and tonal quality.
>>
>>7460152
Arabic and English.
>>
>>7458296
Yes, it's important to understand propaganda in it's socioeconomic context.
>>
>>7460152
You didn't learn tajweed or anything?
>>
>>7458340
>"Islam is the Marxism of religion"
>not pseud
okay, man
>>
>>7460165
Tajweed?
>>
>>7460175
How to pronounce the Qur'an correctly and rulings regarding that. It allows one to better understand the poetic quality of the text.
>>
>>7460185
Ah, I see. No, I didn't learn tajweed. I learnt to understand Arabic through my mother, who spoke Lebanese Arabic, so I still have some trouble understanding Saudi Arabian Arabic.
>>
>>7458775
Their buildings and temples are works of art mang.
>>
>>7460190
The Saudi (Khaleeji) dialect isn't the same as classical Arabic. Every Arab believes their dialect is the closest to classic/Qur'anic Arabic but in actuality all are "bastardized" in some way and fuSHa is the closest.

Tajweed has less to do with dialect and more to do with intonation.
>>
>>7460196
A Western equivalent is like pronuntiatio or elocution but Arabic heavily focuses on poetic quality because that's how the culture is.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.