[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
To our would-be writers on this board, how much effort and study
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: library.jpg (657 KB, 901x1100) Image search: [Google]
library.jpg
657 KB, 901x1100
To our would-be writers on this board, how much effort and study have you put into the non-writing parts of actually getting a book published?

By this I mean researching agents, creating submission packets, formatting a good cover letter, etc.?
>>
I have to finish my book first but I listen to various podcasts and sometimes read blogs about the publishing industry. I feel like I have a reasonable idea how the process goes and what agencies are thinking.
>>
>>7458295
>podcasts

Which, if I might ask?
>>
File: 1437868103514.jpg (8 KB, 240x239) Image search: [Google]
1437868103514.jpg
8 KB, 240x239
I've only had poetry published but I just sit down once a month or so and send things out. I havnt been able to write as much since I started my new job though so I'm back to square one: finding time in the week to read and write
>>
>>7458295

I>>7459061

Also interested in podcast recs
>>
>>7459061
Not him, but if he's not answering, the Three Percent podcast is enjoyable for people into the literary translation side of publishing.
>>
>>7459095

Where have you had poetry published?

Share the poems if you don't mind. I am legitimately interested in reading them.
>>
>>7459104
Nowhere serious just a few small lit mags. They mostly don't pay. If your interested in it research some new (ish) magazines that are likely to publish people without previous exposure. There should really be a wiki on this board for this sort of thing if there isn't already.
>>
>>7459117

Do you feel being published in these unpaid markets is a good "resume builder" or a waste of time if you're trying to be published in paying markets?

This question is obviously open to anyone. I personally am not interested on being published without being paid, UNLESS I love the publication. I haven't been published anyway so it's all hypothetical.
>>
>>7459131
I think it's both. I mean it can be kind of validating. Most of them give you a copy or two of the magazine which is quite nice especially if it comes out quarterly. I only submit to publications I'm a fan of. The ones that pay usually don't give you a significant amount of money anyway. If you writing poetry to try and make a living, good luck.

It certainly doesn't hurt your resume either.
>>
>>7459144

My only fear would be submitting to a magazine that isn't quality.
Do you recommend any poetry mags, or magazines that heavily feature poetry? I never read or had a great understanding of poetry, even after in getting an English degree, and I am trying to get a feel for contemporary poetry.
>>
Would any magazines publish short stories about working with autistic kids? The stories are written from the perspective of a former junkie/neerdowell.
>>
>>7459198
My thinking on the matter is that it's worthwhile to get published in nearly any magazine if you've never been published before. If you're a brand new writer, you just need SOMEONE to take a chance on you. You need to climb that first rung of the ladder.

Now, from there you need to move on to magazines that have a good following and are somewhat well-known, but it's not the first thing you do unless you're really lucky. Baby steps.
>>
>>7459117

posters who've had small mag experience should put together some kind of faq

list of mags

is submitting under a pen name fine
>>
slim to none... I worked on the literary magazine at my community college for a spell, but that was all pretending
>>
>>7458243
>To our would-be writers on this board, how much effort and study have you put into the non-writing parts of actually getting a book published?

why would i care about publishing a book when i don't have a book written yet
>>
>>7460014

It's worse than pretending, it's mocking.
>>
>>7459570
>is submitting under a pen name fine

As long as it passes for a real name, sure.

Submitting under "Lord Darkfire" isn't okay, but submitting under "Jonathan Keene" is fine.
>>
>>7459355

Besides your shitty fantasy/sci-fi zines, most magazines take stories based on quality and style, not subject
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.