[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to read the Catcher in the Rye, but i am not fluent in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: El Guardan entre el Centeno-2.jpg (59 KB, 300x450) Image search: [Google]
El Guardan entre el Centeno-2.jpg
59 KB, 300x450
I want to read the Catcher in the Rye, but i am not fluent in english, so i will read a translate to spanish, i want to ask if i really can do that?

I mean, i've read here that certain books are not worth to read in another than their original language (Infinite Jest to be more precise) and i also experienced that by myself reading Alice in Wonderland
>>
If you are able to browse 4chan you should be able to read catcher
>>
>believing in translation memes
you're an idiot. make up your own mind.
>>
>>7457998
I think you are talking about reading it in english

Have you ever read a book in not your mother tongue?

Is scary as fuck to me, i'll read it in spanish or i will not read it at all, i only want to know if it's not a bad idea
>>
>>7458004
They are not memes

In Alice in Wonderland the tail-tale joke makes no sense in spanish, and there are surely another things that i couldn't spot when i read it that made the experience a lot less nice to me
>>
The Spanish translation is fucking shit and is written with Spaniards in mind, it's really far from being neutral in that regard. You'll get tío and -aís words every single paragraph.

It has quite a couple typos and haven't had a single revision in decades.

I feel like I ruined the experience by reading it in Spanish. Please go for the original version. It's no Moby Dick, it's really easy since the narrator is supposed to be 16.
>>
no te preocupes por la traducción, vas a disfrutar del 90% del libro, y, si sabes inglés y lo relees, no se te va a escapar casi nada
>>
>implies he has almost never read a book that wasn't originally written in spanish
>that juvenile talk
>catcher in the rye
4chan is +18 only please respect the rules kid.

But I remember reading this in Spanish, and I don't recall anything like what >>7458113 says.
>>
>>7458004
Do you seriously think >translation is just a meme? I'm monoglot and I have no delusions that translations are anything but pleb.
You read an instruction manual in translation, you're fine. Reading literature-- which is as much about the language as the meaning-- should not be done in translation unless absolutely necessary.

PS he rapes his sister, Phoebe
>>
>>7457984
Dude I'm from iceland, 19 and I read all my books in english, reading a book in the language it was written is not only a better experience but by reading like 2-3 short books in english you become fully fluent in simple english and understand a lot of it's more complicated words and by doing that get way smarter, I highly suggest you do it also because you will be a way more important employee if you are fully fluent in english, it's a win on all fronts and worth it in every way.
>>
Read it in english, don't be a cunny. I started reading books in English when I was 12. Sure, I didn't understand every word, but I used a dictionary and learned them. Do it, op, if you're old enough to use this website you can definitely read simple books in English (including Catcher).
>>
>>7458019
You should just give it a shot and try to read it in English, mein Freund. It will also help you to improve your English.
>>
>>7457984
The Catcher in the Rye is shit, unless you're fifteen and have a thingy for angsty faggets. Prose is non-existant except for a few parts so go read it in Spanish if you want.
>>
>>7458324
where does the prose go? does it switch to verse midway through?

>>7458241
meme harder
>>
>>7458324
Don't listen to this faggot. Read it and learn English.
>>
>>7458324
>He didn't get Catcher in the Rye was satire
>>
>>7458324
>he didn't read catcher in the rye and feel bad about himself for also being an angsty faggot back in high school

J-jokes on you m-man
>>
>>7458113
OP here

I will read a translation to latin america spanish, not the one from spain if i'll read it in spanish
>>
>>7458928
By now I am legitimately wondering if this is bait...

I assume not for sake of this post which will be drenched in wisdom. OP, you already made up your mind. Read your inferior translation completely disregarding that your English would absolutely suffice to read The Catcher in the Rye. Why did you even make this thread?
>>
>>7457984
The Catcher in the Rye is over-rated bullshit. The only reason it became so popular was because of Salinger's obsession with retaining rights all the way down to the character, and the "adult themes" which are greatly mild in the contemporary view.

It was written in a format that is designed to be "edgy". The plot is about a spoiled prick in New York who runs away from his private school. He's not even a beatnik that attempts to expand his mind. He just leaves because he doesn't like it. He deliberately flunks all his classes.

He runs around New York doing a bunch of bullshit, and sneaks into a bar to drink. He judges everyone he sees in a silent monologue.

The whole of Holden's beliefs is based on a misquotation of a song.

Truly a crap book that if read should only be for historical significance.
>>
>>7457984
>'ve read here that certain books are not worth to read in another than their original language (Infinite Jest to be more precise)

Nice meme dude
>>
>>7457984
>spanish

The most disgusting fucking language.
>>
>>7459090
I find it to be a fascinating book about mental illness. He's experiencing depersonalization as a result of PTSD from the death of his brother. As a result, he picks up personality traits from the people around him. His judgements of everyone around him are externalized self loathing.
>>
>>7459090
>im an american and got mad i was made to read books in high school

it's p sad amerifags cant appreciate salinger
>>
>>7457984
Léelo en inglés y con esa portada, solo ten a la mano un diccionario o internet ya que por la fecha en que se escribió usa ciertas palabras no muy usadas en estos tiempos.

Aprende el significado de la palabra "phony" antes de leerlo.
>>
>>7458359
Most was satire but the rape was very earnest.

>>7459090
You didn't understand the book whatsoever.
>>
>>7458019
>>7457998

This. Judging by the language in your post i think you could understand catcher in the rye in english, the language is not complex.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.