[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Aptitude
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4
File: Frans_Hals_008.jpg (2 MB, 1142x1280) Image search: [Google]
Frans_Hals_008.jpg
2 MB, 1142x1280
Whose of yous English teachers told them that they have talent for writing? Mine did.
>>
Mine did but was retard :<
>>
He read my short story aloud to the class : )

It was about a cannibal after a global nuclear war.
>>
>be me
>eighth grade (we're 12)
>have to write story about pirates
>teacher decides to read some
>first few always a bit noisy, kids fooling around, no mentions
>mine gets read
>everyone is dead silent, gazing at the teacher
>misreads a word, I correct him
>whole class in awe that I wrote it
>afterwards the teacher complimented me and everyone told me they liked my story
felt good.
>>
I've been hearing this throughout my life but my writing is shit and they only liked it because the prose was substantially purple.
>>
>>7457559
Once my literature teacher told me I was a good writer after she read my assignment for class. It was basically a story of what would happen if Helen and Lysistrata meet each other.
>>
My sophomore teacher never outright said I was talented writer but she would often get really disappointed in me when I decided to jerk off during exams and says I could do so much better.

In my first college class my professor told me that my work was top-tier. Didn't know how reliable she even was considering out textbooks were books no one had ever heard of and not even literature. Also she was pretty disorganized. Losing her gradebooks, and forgetting the mid term three times.
>>
>>7457559
Yeah, it was a great reason to never try.
>>
File: 1.jpg (71 KB, 800x1635) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
71 KB, 800x1635
>>7458143
>she would often get really disappointed in me when I decided to jerk off during exams
>>
File: 1447189476325.jpg (235 KB, 610x1526) Image search: [Google]
1447189476325.jpg
235 KB, 610x1526
I took a college psychology class in high school, and during a test the teacher came up to me and started raving about my essay on anorexia, and how it was a "PhD level paper!" It was my senior year of high school and she kept asking me what I would major in, which at the time I was too ashamed to admit that it was performance BFA. My English teacher would also ask to keep my assignments consistently.

I'm not a good writer, and I don't like writing. It makes me anxious and ultimately dissatisfied. The only form of expression I understand and am skilled at is acting, and nobody will ever take me seriously as an artist. STEMfags will of course think I'm dumb too, despite my school day lasting at least five more hours than theirs due to having rehearsals, not to mention that I have the same course load and amount of essays to write as the average humanities student. I don't know why I'm off topic and ranting like a fag, I just need somebody to understand right now. A-at least I'm handsome as fuck.
>>
File: ginge.jpg (48 KB, 500x346) Image search: [Google]
ginge.jpg
48 KB, 500x346
>>7457559
>tfw at my graduation my english teacher spoke about how I was writing in sonnet form before I even knew what a 'sonnet' was and claimed I was an absolute left-brained genius

I have now soiled my mind with copious amounts of drugs and continental/postmodern philosophy so the jokes on her, the dirty spook
>>
When I was 15, I was given an assignment in English class to write a short monologue for Tybalt, to give insight into his thoughts and feelings just before he kills Mercutio.
I put a lot of effort into mine, attempting to emulate Shakespeare's language and rhythm, even though I didn't understand blank verse at the time.
When I got it back, my teacher had written something like 'Wow! This is worthy of the bard himself' along the top of the page. I was absolutley over the moon, and will never forget it. It was probably pretty shit, in retrospect, but it meant a lot to me at the time.
>>
>>7457559
Tfw my high school teacher told me i'm so good at writing i should a write a dystopia. She even said it could rival the "masterpiece" that we read for class, Hunger games.
>>
>>7457559
>be autistic stem guy
>english second language
>not be asian
>flunk english several times
Yet I still I still write
>>
>>7458210
Hey, man. I'm an actor too. I'm not great at writing and wish I was smarter and better at acting. At least you're handsome. All I've got is that I'm funny. No STEM major will ever understand the anxiety of entering a field with absolutely no job security and based almost entirely on luck.
>>
only encouraged by one (high school) teacher. she said I had a mythic consciousness and told me not to give up on writing poetry

I go back to that whenever I'm feeling particularly demoralized
>>
>>7458516
I belive in you anon. I belive that you will write something amazing, keep trying.
>>
My first assignment for senior English was a two-part paper dismissing the concept of the class and admitting to be a hack; in the form of a soliloquy followed by endnotes that turned into a confessional soliloquy, revealing the first was a mere emulation.

He liked it. Later that year we read Night and I wrote exposition in a complex and allusive prose form, and the remainder of the essay on Plotinus and death.
I wrote it drunk but it got a perfect mark.

Then I became a smart ass, and did a poem (mocking Shakespeare's verse, mind you) on kekoldry when I was supposed to write an essay on hate and jealousy in Othello.

He didn't like that, and I was drunk then too but still managed to get something like an 8/10.

I stopped being a smart ass in university because I fell for the STEM meme. Still, I wrote my lab reports drunk.
>>
>praised for my writing from very very early in my life
>high school creative writing teacher called me best writer she'd ever taught
>in second year of college, continue to be praised adamantly by TAs and profs
>publisher bought my novel a few weeks ago
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.