[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>English not having a pronoun and verb form for 'you'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4
File: index.jpg (10 KB, 283x178) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
10 KB, 283x178
>English not having a pronoun and verb form for 'you' plural

Pig disgusting.

How am I supposed to communicate that I'm talking about you as a collective and not you personally? Fucking shit glorified french/norman with Germanic grammar language. Fuck 1066.
>>
File: 2013-04-02 07.07.57.jpg (3 MB, 2656x3984) Image search: [Google]
2013-04-02 07.07.57.jpg
3 MB, 2656x3984
>>7456486
You could use ye
tfw greek class doesn't know ye is plural
>>
File: costanza.jpg (17 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
costanza.jpg
17 KB, 250x250
>>7456486
>Youse
>Y'all
>>
>>7456486

>mfw my Norman ancestors probably raped OP's ancestors and ruled over them for hundreds of years
>>
>>7456486
Do it like people in Pittsburgh do:

"Yinz", or the rarer and less commonly accepted "yous"
>>
File: 609288.jpg (49 KB, 328x500) Image search: [Google]
609288.jpg
49 KB, 328x500
>>7456519
Not according to the bible, friend. (that, or the Oxford Dictionary).
>>
>>7456486
stop.
you don't know what you are talking about.
I'm telling you this for your own good.
stop.
>>
>>7456607
"yous" is singular, "yinz" isn't an English word, "yall" is plural.
>>
>>7456486
Well, there used to be 'thou' for informal use with a single person, and 'you' for formal use with a single person, or for formal or informal use with multiple people. No idea why thou/thee/thy/thine fell out of use while the distinction remains in other languages.
>>
>>7456654
I honestly cannot understand why you keep inventing new plurals. Why don’t you just use thou and ye?
>>
>>7456644
Thanks for being an eruditious authority on the English language, ya dickhead.
>>
>>7456519
Y'all is actually a perfectly functional little pronoun. I would use it if I wasn't worried about my friends thinking I'd fallen and hit my head.
>>
>Almost MMXVI
>Þey use neiþer þou nor þorn.
One would þink þou would know better þan þis, /lit/. Þough 'tis not þy fault being born a pleb, blame þy forefaþers instead.
>>
>>7456826
Fuck you and whatever archaic alphabet system you're trying to satire with.
>>
>>7457029
Its English dipshit
>>
>>7457029
Þæt hæs to be ðe most plebeian post of ðe year.
>>
>>7457437
did you miss the post where the guy unknowingly condescends on the ending of The Dead and 'corrects it' so it flows better and has less adverbs?
>>
>>7457437
ðhiſ, to be qvite honeſt Familia
>>
>>7457445
I did. Archive link or caps?
>>
>>7457029
>He doesn't know Middle English.
By Goddes woundes, this man is a cokewold, and eek a greet folye.
>>
We do - it's

You-lot | you-all | youses | youses
>>
>>7457550
They all sound a little too informal
>>
Y'all will never catch on in the north. Too many bigots up here who will never be accepting of anything southern.

Best bet is to repurpose the already existing dialectal form "ya" as singular and use "you" for plural, i.e. "Hi Jim how are ya today?" and "Hello my fellow Americans thank you for coming"
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.