[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
hey /lit/ i'm going back to university because being a wagekek
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: 1449287738928.jpg (83 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1449287738928.jpg
83 KB, 768x1024
hey /lit/ i'm going back to university because being a wagekek is awful

should i learn (hellenistic & ancient) greek or latin for literature? or both? which first?
>>
pls respond

I'm Catholic by the way, so I'm leaning towards Latin only, so I can at least be competent enough to read well and thereby continue to learn.

Plus, shouldn't Greek be easier then?
>>
>>7455564
If you don't want to be a wagekek why do you want to learn a dead language? Shouldn't you be focused on something practical so that you'll earn a better living and then have more free time.
>>
>>7456323
I'm already an upper-middle class wagekek working as an engineer. I'm 28 in January.

I've had little time to write as of late, and have become unsatisfied with my ability. I'm essentially planning 4 years of philosophy, with supportive intermissions and another visit to India.
>>
>>7456335
Plus there's a course on Milton and mysticism that are making me giddy.
>>
Might as well go for Greek to start with.
>>
Why aren't taking classical studies and learning French, Ancient Greek and Latin simultaneously? If you college doesn't offer this degree, you shouldn't enroll in.
>>
>>7456335
>>7456372

Makes me happy you're considering this. I'm 27, about to finish a faggy lit degree and desperate about how the hell I'm going to earn a living.

Almost wishing I had done something like engineering, but then maybe I couldn't have written anything.

Aanyway, do both? Start with whichever gets you the most fired up.
>>
>>7456473
CS minor; I'm doubting I can even take anything beyond four courses of Latin or Greek in terms of second languages.

I already know spoken French, written should be easy.
>>
Why dont you guys just reduce your hours to per diem, work near a university, live in a little cheap flat and audit courses all day.
>>
My goodness has this university beefed up its inclusion of religion in philosophy.

I may as well be studying for priesthood here; the only secular courses I am interested in are on the Greeks and the 19th/20th century (which I have to take.)
>>7457654
The university is over an hour away. I'll be renting there because pet horses probably aren't allowed on campus, and I can't leave it or my wife behind for four years.
>>
>>7457637
Well, you shouldn't consider this formation, then, and the proficiency in language required in a decent degree call for much more knowledge than notions of spoken French. You should simultaneously learn all three and have a dedicated course for language, literature, reading and grammar. I don't think anything lesser is worthwhile.
>>
>>7458008
I've already planned four courses in Latin because I imagine using it more.

I have no room for another language unless I remove four courses in English.

Why French, by the way?
>>
>>7458032
It may be different where you live—it's not the first time I see English rather than French—but as far as I saw it classical studies usually concern French, Ancient Greek and Latin.
>>
File: 1443363999641.jpg (182 KB, 1280x848) Image search: [Google]
1443363999641.jpg
182 KB, 1280x848
Good on you, OP.

I'm working this year, then going back to studying. In the meantime I'll get a qualification that allows me to teach English abroad. I'll only have to work a few days a week. The pay isn't great but I'll have lots of quiet time to myself.
>>
>>7458048
It's focused on pre-Common Era here.

The English courses are option courses; on Milton, Shakespeare, ancient literature (also offered in CS credits), and poetry.
>>7458051
Where?
>>
>>7458083
Not sure yet. It wouldn't be for another two years but plenty of Asian countries, China in particular, employ English speakers to act as language "guests" in the classrooms. This is apparently because we now live in a global economy and, since English is the lingua franca in many places, there is a high demand for teachers of any kind.

It's a viable option for many people on /lit/ for sure.
>>
I cant believe everyone else is giving you such shitty advice. Start with Latin, then take Greek. Greek has way more complex rules concerning augments, vowel crasis, prepositions and cases, etc. Pretty much anything you'll learn in latin will be more complex than Greek, so get a strong foundation first with Latin.
>>
>>7458127
Could I teach myself Greek after becoming fluent in Latin?
>>
>>7455564
I thought that was anno from the thumbnail
>>
latin is for boys

greek is for men

make your choice
>>
>>7459149
i like greek boys and latin men. what do I do??
>>
>>7459149
muh sacred music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA6oq_UYbyA
>>
Also, what if I took German instead of Latin?
>>
>>7456970
Why not be a high school English teacher?
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.